よつばと! Vol 12 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

That would be the high-def version of Yotsuba. @windupbird

4 Likes

Anime never. :cry:

Oh! I didn’t see it was Azuma Kiyohiko. :joy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC9PDCHoTKg/

ジュラルミンだ!

3 Likes

Time and again my favourite thing about よつばと is Yotsuba’s facial expressions. :blush:

I had a few sentences in this chapter that I had to go do some research on to understand the grammar. This happens with most chapters, but I end up working it out on my own and then not posting anything here. Does anyone think it would be useful for me to post my own questions and answers in case other people also have the same questions?

As an aside, I hope you’re all doing well in this crazy world we’re currently living in! Stay safe out (in?) there.

7 Likes

Yes! Me! I do! :raised_hand: I think it would be great!

(I’m miles behind on Yotsuba, but I’ll catch up with you guys one day, and the more questions and answers in the threads, the better, as far as I’m concerned!)

And yes, hope everyone is doing well! Thank you!

5 Likes

Chapter 81! :camping:

Sorry for the wait! I just got back home yesterday night and am feeling a bit sick. :mask:

5 Likes

Hope you feel better soon!

1 Like

I’m a few chapters behind, so I’ll be relying on others to point out if this chapter lacks kanji.

For those reading this thread in the future, the kanji-less ゆるキャン△ book club is starting soon.

3 Likes

Uh. If you die of the plague, who’s gonna keep the thread running for us?

Also, ゆるキャンプ time at last!

6 Likes

Alright, finally found the time to read this. Or, I finally forced myself to stop being distracted by the the fact that Uru Live is live again, and read the chapter.

Nice to see Phrase Catcher Jumbo is still catching his phrase, from Big Miura this time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Dad was wise to omit Yanda’s involvement until the last second.

Page 140, took me far too long to figure out why Yanda was asking Miura if she had any magic.

Page 154, the shade-cloth they’re putting up is really quite tall. The pole Jumbo is holding is already higher than his head, and it’s not even fully upright yet.

Page 157, Ena ded.

Page 169, Ena ded, again.

When I read something like this or Yuru Camp, I kinda wanna go camping. Then I remember how much of a hassle it tends to be in real life…

3 Likes

I actually really like camping. :open_mouth: I don’t really know how to do stuff, but I can go fetch wood, follow instructions, etc. And it’s pretty relaxing once you get it going.

The worst part for me is sleeping, and that’s because I’m usually uncomfortable anywhere, so camping doesn’t help.

1 Like

I know how to do eeeeverything - I’ve watched Yuru Camp. And Primitive Technology. :slightly_smiling_face:

Aye, that. And it invariably rains.

2 Likes

I’m exactly the same! ゆるキャン△ has brainwashed me into thinking I love camping. I think I really want to just go make some curry outdoors. That’s the main draw for me. Haha.

Alright, there are a few sections I’m having trouble with in this (long!) chapter.

Page 133
これ言っといた奴

Literally the first words in the chapter. The 言っといた (言っておいた?) is tripping me up. My guess is this means “This is the guy you mentioned”. Can someone explain this short sentence to me?

Page 142
そんなのはひきょう‼︎
だってそんなの
おもしろいとか
いいようがない‼︎

ひきょう isn’t a word I’ve seen before. Looks like it might mean unfair (卑怯). This seems to be Yotsuba complaining that Yanda was being unfair/cheating, but I’m getting lost getting the proper meaning out of this. Is she saying “It’s not interesting/funny or good”? I figure there’s part of this where she’s defending why she laughed while still saying it’s no good, but I’m missing it.

Page 151
こーゆーキャンプっぽい
キャンプ始めてだな

こーゆー = こういう
Got that much at least.

こういうキャンプ = Like this camp
こういうキャンプっぽい = Like this camp-like :exploding_head:

I share Yotsuba’s disdain for Yanda.

“It’s my first time camping in a camp like this.” That seem about right?

2 Likes

Oh, it was, wasn’t it?

Gonna have to check my copy when I get home, but from memory, I think 奴 here is referring to an object.

[Edit]Yeah, it’s Mama Ayase talking about the bag she’s handing to Jumbo. “Here’s the thing I mentioned.”[/Edit]

Basically, she’s annoyed at Yanda for ruining her perfectly good sulk by being funny.

Basically, first time doing a camp-like camp. As in, staying in tents and such. キャンプ refers to the act of camping rather than the location.

3 Likes

I…will admit that I don’t really get camping :woman_shrugging: So much work just to be uncomfortable and gross…
Nature is nice, but not that much xD I need access to somewhere comfy and clean and…indoors at the end of the day.

The place where they are looks pretty, though. I’d be down to hang out in that hammock for a while. Hammocks are comfy. :relaxed:

3 Likes

So in this sentence, what difference does 言っといた provide compared to simply 言った?

Okay, so is the literal translation something like…

そんなのはひきょう‼︎ = That’s unfair
だってそんなのおもしろいとかいいようがない‼︎ = Because what you did isn’t even funny or good.

?

Ahh, okay. Interesting.

Thanks for your reply!

This was a long chapter O_o

I haven’t gone camping since I was a kid! Not in a tent at least.
Been out in the “untouched nature”, but always sleeping in cabins, not tents.
I much prefer a good bed over sleeping in a tent =P
But I do enjoy a good hike in nature =^_^=

2 Likes

I’ve slept in big ol’ marquee-style tents with a dozen other people for about ten nights in a row each summer holidays for a few years in a row, but that was a while ago. Otherwise it was just one or two nights at a time in a small tent, maybe a few times a decade…

1 Like

Sorry for the lateness. :sweat_smile:

Time to read Chapter 80!

Haha! :joy:

So cute!!
:blush:

So cute!

>w<

3 Likes

Chapter 81 was great, too!

What a classic chapter. :blush:

“Yotsuba’s smile is gone for good.” :joy:

(No pics because I read it while I had no internet :stuck_out_tongue:)

2 Likes