よつばと! Vol 11 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

No, there was definitely a reaction, albeit rather brief.

Yotsuba grimace

6 Likes

I also wasted some time Googling that. I knew that somehow she was meaning しゅじゅつ, yet couldn’t make the connection that しゅづつ was just her mispronouncing it. :man_facepalming:

I love Yotuba’s blank face. Especially when she’s sitting/lying under the desk. :neutral_face: Gives it a perfect balance of feeling sad for her and laughing at the same time.

3 Likes

Yay, I’m all caught up!
The last few chapters was so fun I couldn’t stop :wink:
And wow, just a few more now and we are completely done! O_o

7 Likes

Chapter 74 time! :camera_flash:

:joy:

:rofl:

Oh, man. This chapter is so cute. :blush:

Oh, no. :sob: When she said, かーちゃん I was like, “No, her mom. :(”

Chapter 75 time!

“I’m about to end this girl’s whole career.”

Chapter 76 time!

Got 'im.

Ah, so cute. :relaxed:

4 Likes

So, we just read this chapter in the other live-reading club, and I’m vaguely wondering if maybe it’s a misreading of うま? Maybe? Not sure…

1 Like

Page 11 (Vol.11, ch.70)

So the staff are wondering where on earth Yotsuba has sprung up from, and she says:

おうちはー あっちのそこをちょっといったところ あるいてきた

おうち - お家, (my) home
はー - topic particle
あっち - that way
の - possessive particle
そこ - there
を - object marker
ちょっと - a little bit
いった - past tense of 行く?
ところ - place
あるいてきた - walk, in て form, plus past of 来る, ie “walked (here)”

I walked here, my house is just over there, a short distance away

I have a bunch of questions! Why is “over there” the object, marked by を? Is the いった the past of 行く or something else? I get the sentence, I just don’t have a feel for the grammar. Any pointers much appreciated!

2 Likes

That is an excellent question. I’m also not 100% on this answer but here is my take.

I expect it is 行く like you wrote. Concerning the を this one is a bit different than you assume. Movement verbs (wich iku is one of) can take the を particle to describe a medium or place through which the movement is performed.

Examples are stuff like
空を飛ぶ
道を通る
海を泳ぐ

These verbs are all intransitive. It’s not like you are swimming the ocean (whatever that would look like o_O). But it describes the medium/place in which you are performing the movement. In english you would probably say “swimming in/through the ocean”

I hope this explanation helps. I don’t have a nice summary link for further reading on this topic at the moment sorry. Maybe somone else can chime in.

3 Likes

Wow, that is brilliant! Thank you so much! That を was really sticking out for me there, and now, thanks to your brilliant explanation, I get it much better than before. Thank you so much!

Page 16

Another question if I may!

Yotsuba says:

きょうはー えなんちにいく とちゅうだったけどー

きょう - 今日, today
はー - topic particle
えなんち - Ena’s house
に - direction particle
いく - 行く, go
とちゅう - on the way
だった - was
けどー - but

So, today we were going to Ena’s house, but on the way…

ちょっととおまわりしてー - we made a little detour

でもおおきいみちよりむこうはいっちゃだめだからなー

でも - but
おおきい - big
みち - road
より - horrible grammar concerning comparatives (more than?)
むこう - opposite
は - topic particle
いっちゃ - ???
だめ - no good
だから - because
なー - sentence ending particle

but rather than a big road, we [were on] a no good road - ???

そっちまでいかなかった! - to that place we did not go!

As you can see, I start off okay, but soon lose it! What happened? What is this story that Yotsuba is telling? Any help much appreciated, again! Thank you!

1 Like

行っては

She’s not allowed to cross the big road (i.e. go over to the other side) without adult supervision.

3 Likes

Wow, I would never have got that in a million years! Mind you, I still can’t see it! Studying Japanese is like those crazy pictures made up of squiggles, I could never see those either. Thank you @Belthazar !

Here's another instance of this を and 行く (from volume 4).

In the 4koma area (between chapters 24 and 25), one strip has Yotsuba asking Tora where she came from. Since Yotsuba gave directions when asked that question, Tora does the same:

そこをまっすぐ行って最初の曲がり角を右に曲がってーー ガソリンスタンドがあるだろ? あるんだよ。 そこを右に曲がってだな」

And then there's a couple of instances of 空を飛ぶ in volume 9.

On page 129, Asagi is hinting at what she’ll be going to see:

「それは空を飛びます

After Asagi reviews what it is, on page 130 Ena says:

「あの!(そら)() 気球(ききゅう)

Since (そら)()ぶ is such a common way of saying “to fly”, you’ll sometimes see the を dropped. (But not for the ()く examples!)

Finally, on page 132, Ena says:

「あんなの!あれが (そら)()んだよ」

I’m not certain the nuance of why Ena dropped the を on page 130, but didn’t drop it on page 132. Maybe because the latter is an explanation to Yotsuba, she’s speaking more carefully?

Now that you’re aware of it, you may start to see things like ()っちゃだめ from time to time.

It’s more difficult to recognize at first when there’s no hiragana, but 〜ちゃだめ is used often to say it’s bad to do the action of a verb.

()ってはだめ = essentially, “to go is bad”

And if doing something is bad, that means it is something you should not or must not do.

This is one of those cases where the common English way of wording something (“You can’t go”, a prohibition of doing an action) is different from the Japanese (“To go is bad”, categorizing an action as “bad”).

The Japanese way doesn’t outright say you shouldn’t or can’t do something, but it indirectly implies it by telling you it’s bad.

TaeKim has a page on this for further reading.

Other examples of this include:

Volume 1

Late in chapter two, Yotsuba has Fuuka ring a doorbell for no reason. After, Fuuka tells Yotsuba:

「あれは用もないのに押しちゃだめなのよ?」

Over in chapter 5, Yotsuba rides a bike she finds in the store, bumping into her father in the process. Her father puts the bike back, telling Yotsuba:

「これは乗っちゃだめ

Volume 3

In chapter 17, Yotsuba and Fuuka enter a flower store. Fuuka sees Jumbo there and remarks that he’s a florist. When Jumbo says Fuuka is correct, Yotsuba realizes she missed out on being able to guess correctly:

「あーー!いっちゃだめー!よつばがあてるのー!」

In this case, いっちゃだめ involves the verb ()う, not ()く. Lacking kanji, you can tell which of the two is being used through context.

Volume 4

This is another 4koma instance, on page 97. Yotsuba finds a soccer ball and picks it up with her hands. Ena tells her:

「サッカーボールは()(さわ)っちゃだめなんだよ」

For volume 11, you’ll see 〜ちゃだめ again in chapter 97.

1 Like

I’m amazed, mind-blown, and so grateful! Thank you Christopher. I’m busy writing this all down and looking up all the other examples from the other volumes and making notes. You are too kind, and just amazing. I have no idea how you do it, but I am so grateful. Thank you!

Page 31

Me again, back to volume 11, sorry. But no questions this morning, you’ll be relived to hear,… I worked it out by writing it out!

Yotsuba has explained to dad that because he doesn’t want all the flyers that get delivered, they are hers. Then she adds:

よつばにもときどきはいたつされるんだけどな

よつばにも - also to me
ときどき - sometimes
はいたつされる - 配達される - is delivered
ん - explanation particle
だ - copula
けど - but
な - sentence ending particle

But sometimes things are also delivered direct to me!

Dad replies with an へー!

3 Likes

:smiley:

:worried:

3 Likes

Thought you’d appreciate a break Kazzeon! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Page 46

So the pizza delivery guy has arrived and has listed what they’ve ordered and wants to confirm it, so he says:

ご注文は以上でおそろいでしょうか

ご注文は - as for (your) order
以上で - the above; the above-mentioned; the aforementioned; the foregoing
おそろい - matching
でしょうか - right?

So your order matches that (what I’ve just said), right?

Took me ages to figure that out until I saw definition.3 of 以上: the aforementioned!

Right, time for lunch!

4 Likes

Is it pizza?

1 Like

Indeed! I had ソーセージモントレーとマルゲリータのハーフ&ハーフ, plus ハワイアンデライトとイタリアバジルのハーフ&ハーフ. It was うますぎる! :yum:

2 Likes

Page 80

They’re in the park playing with a couple of bubble-blowers that Yanda has brought along, and now Yanda is looking in his bag. Janbo says:

なんだ?まだあんの?

なんだ?- what + copula +? = what is it?
まだ - still, not yet, more still, etc
あん - (not sure about this, is it あの, ‘that’?)
の?- informal question particle + ?

Clearly he’s saying “what are you looking for? Do you have yet more stuff?”, but I do wonder what that あん is. Could someone kindly tell me? Thank you so much!

2 Likes