よつばと! Vol 11 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

I changed the next start date to one week from now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it typical to toss fully-sodden stuffed animals directly into the dryer?

Never mind the bear, though - I want to know the mystery behind the chestnuts spontaneously generating grubs.

Love how she perks up at the mention of croquette curry, though.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out who sniffs a teddy bear after it’s been in a dog’s mouth.

(Same dog from chapter 5? Different wall and gate, but that can be due to updated art experience/style.)

2 Likes

Perhaps more to the point, who would be the second person to sniff a teddy bear after it’s been in a dog’s mouth, and the first person has sniffed it and exclaimed it stunk of dog?

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

:cold_sweat:

1 Like

Chapter 76.

3 Likes

Throughout this volume, I can’t get a grasp on whether I think Yanda’s a bad guy or a good guy. Having been around my nephews when they were younger, though, I think mostly I understand him more than back when I read this series in English.

Asagi, on the other hand… Mention the bugs a little sooner? And maybe when your little sister is actually paying attention? (But I guess she does get a point or two for the whole doctor routine.)

And…I didn’t even notice until the last time Yotsuba uses the word, that she’s saying しゅづつ. I read it as しゅじゅつ every time without realizing it…

2 Likes

Ah, Yanda’s trying as best he can. :stuck_out_tongue:

She did kinda make a point of mentioning them last chapter. Also, extra protein. Yum. And I presume Ena checked for holes.

Aww. The English version translates it as “surgemy”, so I specifically checked like three times to see what it was Yotsuba was calling it, and I still read it as しゅじゅつ.

Oh, Fuuka. Juralumin’s a girl, right?

Nice little callback to the camera chapter there.

So, cup noodle is a fruit. Good to know for future reference.

6 Likes

Chapter 72 time! (‘better late than never’ edition)

Page 60 (I think): Is うまあじ just うまい味?

おなかいっぱいマン sounds like something out of One Punch Man. :joy:
(Probably the guy who eats everything.)

みんなかくれて! :rofl:

image :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahahaha, やんだ!

I almost expected him to take out a bubble rocket launcher or something.

I spoke too soon.

Dang. I felt that.

Chapter 73 now!

:blush: It feels weird to have just one big kanji in a speech bubble. :thinking:

よつば so cruel! :sweat_smile:

Another 2 done! :eyes:

6 Likes

Probably. :eyes:

Yanda best big brother.

1 Like

Meanwhile I’m sitting over here Googling しゅづつ like what the hell is this :woman_facepalming: I may have definitely forgotten that しゅじゅつ is even a word between last week’s chapter and now. It’s been a busy week ok

Wow, absolutely no reaction to Yanda coming in the house :o That’s when you know it’s bad.
Also I want some of whatever Yanda’s eating, it looks yummy :drooling_face:
I’m glad the surgery was a success :smile: Wow, another volume down already!

4 Likes

No, there was definitely a reaction, albeit rather brief.

Yotsuba grimace

6 Likes

I also wasted some time Googling that. I knew that somehow she was meaning しゅじゅつ, yet couldn’t make the connection that しゅづつ was just her mispronouncing it. :man_facepalming:

I love Yotuba’s blank face. Especially when she’s sitting/lying under the desk. :neutral_face: Gives it a perfect balance of feeling sad for her and laughing at the same time.

4 Likes

Yay, I’m all caught up!
The last few chapters was so fun I couldn’t stop :wink:
And wow, just a few more now and we are completely done! O_o

7 Likes

Chapter 74 time! :camera_flash:

:joy:

:rofl:

Oh, man. This chapter is so cute. :blush:

Oh, no. :sob: When she said, かーちゃん I was like, “No, her mom. :(”

Chapter 75 time!

“I’m about to end this girl’s whole career.”

Chapter 76 time!

Got 'im.

Ah, so cute. :relaxed:

4 Likes

So, we just read this chapter in the other live-reading club, and I’m vaguely wondering if maybe it’s a misreading of うま? Maybe? Not sure…

1 Like

Page 11 (Vol.11, ch.70)

So the staff are wondering where on earth Yotsuba has sprung up from, and she says:

おうちはー あっちのそこをちょっといったところ あるいてきた

おうち - お家, (my) home
はー - topic particle
あっち - that way
の - possessive particle
そこ - there
を - object marker
ちょっと - a little bit
いった - past tense of 行く?
ところ - place
あるいてきた - walk, in て form, plus past of 来る, ie “walked (here)”

I walked here, my house is just over there, a short distance away

I have a bunch of questions! Why is “over there” the object, marked by を? Is the いった the past of 行く or something else? I get the sentence, I just don’t have a feel for the grammar. Any pointers much appreciated!

2 Likes

That is an excellent question. I’m also not 100% on this answer but here is my take.

I expect it is 行く like you wrote. Concerning the を this one is a bit different than you assume. Movement verbs (wich iku is one of) can take the を particle to describe a medium or place through which the movement is performed.

Examples are stuff like
空を飛ぶ
道を通る
海を泳ぐ

These verbs are all intransitive. It’s not like you are swimming the ocean (whatever that would look like o_O). But it describes the medium/place in which you are performing the movement. In english you would probably say “swimming in/through the ocean”

I hope this explanation helps. I don’t have a nice summary link for further reading on this topic at the moment sorry. Maybe somone else can chime in.

3 Likes

Wow, that is brilliant! Thank you so much! That を was really sticking out for me there, and now, thanks to your brilliant explanation, I get it much better than before. Thank you so much!

Page 16

Another question if I may!

Yotsuba says:

きょうはー えなんちにいく とちゅうだったけどー

きょう - 今日, today
はー - topic particle
えなんち - Ena’s house
に - direction particle
いく - 行く, go
とちゅう - on the way
だった - was
けどー - but

So, today we were going to Ena’s house, but on the way…

ちょっととおまわりしてー - we made a little detour

でもおおきいみちよりむこうはいっちゃだめだからなー

でも - but
おおきい - big
みち - road
より - horrible grammar concerning comparatives (more than?)
むこう - opposite
は - topic particle
いっちゃ - ???
だめ - no good
だから - because
なー - sentence ending particle

but rather than a big road, we [were on] a no good road - ???

そっちまでいかなかった! - to that place we did not go!

As you can see, I start off okay, but soon lose it! What happened? What is this story that Yotsuba is telling? Any help much appreciated, again! Thank you!

1 Like