よつばと! Vol 11 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

も is more like “as many as” here.

But yeah, Jumbo’s assumed she’s describing four entire pizzas. Or Yotsuba’s assumed that Jumbo has. Or both? But there weren’t four pizzas, there were four half pizzas.

As for a better counter for whole pizzas, I guess 枚?

5 Likes

Ah, yes, four different pizza halves! Thanks Belthazar! :pizza: :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Since I have volumes 11 to 14 in English, here’s the “four pizzas” scene from it:

Spoiler Wall

4 Likes

It bugs me a little that Yotsuba goes from sitting in Jumbo’s lap to standing by his side between frames.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for that! No wonder Janbo is confused!

1 Like

And now, by popular demand, we’re back to our scheduled よつば announcement.

We had the うどん :ramen: , we had the ピザ :pizza: , we even had the しゃぼんだま :soap:,
but now, get ready for くりひろい time, baby! :chestnut:

Give it up for Chapter 73!

栗拾いに行くぞ!

5 Likes

What? Already? That’s crazy talk. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone else think chapters 72 and 73 have rather similar title pages?

Whoa. Yotsuba used katakana on page 101

I kinda want to visit that shrine. It looks pretty. And that view…

3 Likes

quickly reads ch 72
OMG I laughed so hard at everyone “hiding” from Yanda :rofl: Yotsuba’s like “everyone hide!” and they just DO IT :joy:

now on to ch 73!
Oh, it’s the stairs/shrine from forever ago! I remember what Yotsuba’s talking about on pg 103!
Man, I went back and looked and the difference in art style from vol 1 to this volume is really noticeable :flushed: (It’s in ch 5, if anyone else wants to relive the memories xD)

Stairs then

Stairs now

View then

View now

Lol, I was wondering the same thing as Fuuka on pg 108 xD

4 Likes

Amazing the change in the artwork, isn’t it?!

But, you know, I’m not convinced it is the same shrine. The stairs are totally different, although that could be put down to better artwork, but the view is also not identical. Even allowing for a shift in perspective, there are some pretty major changes in that view. Plus, back in volume one, when Yotsuba was a good six months younger, she and her dad walked from home to that shrine via a shopping mall, whereas now it is a bike trip away. But yep, I could be wrong!

2 Likes

So observant. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Definitely true, but I guess I don’t know that the mangaka would feel a need to reproduce every detail of a landscape they drew that long ago, either :thinking: I can see enough familiar landmarks in the vol 11 one, like the two major buildings next to and near the top-left of Yotsuba’s basket, the one to the left of Yotsuba’s head, and the one by Jurarumin’s leg, that I still feel like it’s meant to be the same. (That right side of the frame does look pretty darn different though xD). I guess my other thought is, how many shrines on big hills would there be with similar views in/around a single town? xD I mean, there are a lot of shrines in Japan, so it’s not impossible, but…still xD

Hmm…it’s possible that it’s a long-ish walk or a short-ish bike trip away :thinking: Yotsuba wasn’t old enough to ride a bike back then, so they couldn’t have ridden bikes even if it would have been better.

But who knows, really :woman_shrugging:
I just want to believe

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s meant to be the same shrine - how many hill-top shrines can there possibly be in one neighbourhood? :stuck_out_tongue: One thing I notice, though, is that they approach the shrine from the left in this chapter, but they came from the right back in chapter 5. They also visit the same shrine in chapter 6, when Jumbo takes Yotsuba and Ena cicada hunting, except the stairs are never shown - and in that chapter, Jumbo drives them there.

This blog thinks it’s Oshiko Shrine in Hyogo, though I have some doubts on that considering the stairs look completely different - and since that blog says she went chestnut-picking with her father, I’m not even sure they actually read the manga.

Yes she was - she rides one in the store in chapter 5. She’s just not old enough to own a bike. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Very true, and, as we’ve said, back in volume one his artwork was no where near what it is now (though there was more blank space on the pages back then to write my notes on!).

Oh, nicely spotted! And yes, that could explain a lot!

It is possible I suppose to have a string of shrines along the top of a hilly ridge, but I when I think properly about it, I’m sure you’re both right, this has to be the same shrine! Nice discussion though! :smiley: :shinto_shrine: :+1:

2 Likes

Regarding the stairs and shrines: Let’s not forget this week’s lines where Yotsuba says she and her dad climbed those stairs, and that her dad climbed the steps really fast.

3 Likes

Yes, but she also said “It’s not four. But it’s four”. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It makes sense in context, okay? D:<

4 Likes

It’s Yotsuba, she always climbs over Jumbo and does all sorts of acrobatics, you should be used to it at this point. :stuck_out_tongue: I hadn’t read it, so I didn’t know it literally happened in that page, as well. :sweat_smile:

There seems to be an implied, he looked at the pizza menu for a few seconds, thinking.

Anywho, time for actually reading the chapters. (Just a month in, no biggie. :sweat_smile:)

Although, for some reason, I think I read the うどん chapter before. :thinking:

Chapter 70 time! :ramen:

This is going to be me later today; I’m going to eat some ramen with friends. :drooling_face:
(I know it’s not the same, but it’s the closest I can get.)

H-how does Yotsuba just understand everything they say? :sweat_smile:
Or does she just nod and forget about it?

:man_facepalming: All this time, and I just noticed 豚骨 is pig bones. :pig: :meat_on_bone:

Cute chapter. :blush:

Chapter 71 time :pizza::alarm_clock:

:rofl:

うおっ!? 確かに、すごいな!良い趣味です。

You can’t just not buy pizza after this.

Btw, I get the meaning, but I don’t understand what they’re talking about? :sweat_smile:

BONK
I was going to ask about this, like, “How does she know?”, but she does go check in the previous panels.
image :stuck_out_tongue:

:joy: Classic!

Well, two chapters for now is fine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was going to say that I almost forgot about it, but I did! It’s on Fridays. :sweat_smile:

No more chestnut picking, boys! :chestnut: :no_entry_sign: We paparazzi now! :camera_flash:

Give it up for Chapter 74!

5 Likes

Page 146. I’m having trouble with Yotsuba’s final line. I think I understand the gist of it, but I’m missing some nuance on the やがる.

「こいつはいそがしくなってきやがった」

The parts I do understand:

• こいつは: She’s talking about the camera.
  • いそがしくなってきた: The camera has come to become busy as it will be taking pictures of so many people.

What does やがった (past tense of やがる) bring into the meaning? Japanese-to-English dictionaries note this auxiliary (which attaches to the い-stem, here き from くる) as meaning to have the nerve to and go on to say indicates hatred, contempt, or disdain for another’s action.

So, is Yotsuba basically saying, “This one has the nerve to come to be so busy”?

The descriptions I see for やがる make it feel out of place here to me, but that may be because I’m looking at it with an English language lens. For Yotsuba’s use here, is this common for Japanese children to say, or is this an example of where she’s mimicking the type of thing she’s heard from adults, such as her father, Jumbo, and Yanda?

2 Likes

It does seem to be pretty harsh, so I imagine she heard it from one of the adults.

2 Likes