ゆるキャン△ Vol. 4 🏕

Volume 4 Discussion Thread

Start Date: 24th October
Previous: Volume 3
Following: Volume 5

ゆるキャン△ Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Reading Schedule

Start Date             Chapter                                                              Page Numbers   Page Count
October 24th 19 - 野クルのクリキャン会議 3 - 30 28
October 31st 20 - せっかちキャンパーとアウトドアおやつ 33 - 60 28
November 7th 21 - クリキャンはじまるよ !! 63 - 90 28
November 14th 22 - 特別な晩ごはん 93 - 120 28
November 21st 23 - 12 月 25 日 121 - 146 24
November 28th 番外編 - へやキャン△ 149 - 177 29

Participants

There will be participation polls throughout this discussion thread as we reach each chapter :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

If you mean the page number for the end of each chapter:

30, 60, 90, 120, 146, 177

(Each chapter has a couple filler pages at the end with no text)

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s exactly what I meant :+1:

2 Likes

Yesssssssssssss

Working on improving how I pace two book clubs, so I’m gonna aim for more daily readings instead of cramming it into two days haha. Glad I managed to get this and Vol. 5 from Kinokuniya! Might just buy all available volumes hahaha. I def wanna keep up with the club and I absolutely love this series.

7 Likes

Now that I’ve finally caught up I can’t wait to read on pace with the club! Thanks @Belthazar for the location posts, they’ve really helped me come to love this series. They add an extra dynamic that really makes this book club unique.

9 Likes

@Mods - would you mind making the OP of this thread a wiki, please?

4 Likes

Post is now a wiki.

4 Likes

And here’s the first week. Since I’m completely absorbed by the 本好きの下剋上 book series, I haven’t even bought volume 4. :sweat_smile: I guess I will be… late. (As in, probably start during the last week).

In the meantime

19 - 野クルのクリキャン会議

Start date: October 24th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

5 Likes

This snuck up on me. I’ll do put some vocab in the sheet in a few hours after my class is done for the day.

3 Likes

I’ve been behind for a good while, practically since 本好きの下剋上 started, but now I am all caught up again!

10 Likes

Well, we’re back at school this week, so no real-world locations to comment on…

Page 13, has Nadeshiko been sitting on that たいちょう!! line since the last club meeting? :stuck_out_tongue:

Page 18, I think Nadeshiko going ワンフォーオール オールインワン and so forth is possibly my favourite joke in the series.

Page 20, I wonder what 海外ドラマ Toba-sensei watches…

Is Oomachi-sensei a man or a woman? He’s using あたし…

6 Likes

I forgot that I haven’t bought volume 4 either, so I’ll be taking my time too.

2 Likes

Aw yiss vol 4 and new key visuals. Today is a good YK day.

• Whenever Aki goes on her rants my reading always slows to a crawl…
  • Seeing ワンフォーオール オールインワン written out in Japanese kinda makes me sympathize with how Nadeshiko was tripping up on it lmao
3 Likes

Does someone else need to administrate the thread, perhaps?

Well, I can still post the polls for now (which is exactly why I came here).
I’m afraid that if I have no responsibility, I’ll just stop showing up on the forums :sweat_smile:

20 - せっかちキャンパーとアウトドアおやつ

Start date: October 31st

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:
0 voters
5 Likes

This week’s campsite is Mount Fuji YMCA Global Eco Village - though for anyone planning on bringing their own Chikuwa, unfortuntely pets are forbidden (aside from guide dogs and other service animals). And (spoiler alert), they’re staying here for basically the rest of the volume, so I guess that’s gonna be it for real-world location research for a while…

The farm sweets place that Aki and Aoi visit is Makaino Farm.

So, one of the reasons I’m not a fan of Toba-sensei is the way she immediately gets passed-out drunk the moment Aki says she can have a drink.

Page 37, a fun fact: this is the first time in the series that Saito’s given name has been used. Bonus fact: Ena is a city in Gifu prefecture (it’s adjacent to Nakatsugawa, where the Magome-Tsumago Nakasendo walk is located).

Page 44 first panel, does 玄関 refer to the entrance to the admin building, or somehow metaphorically to the entrance of the campground as a whole?

8 Likes

These spacious campgrounds are pretty wild, but I’ve also only been to campgrounds in California and Washington, which tend to be forested and/or rocky. This wide view of other campers seems a tad too… open for my personal preference.

But I suppose that may be why the girls only ever get shown as camping without anyone else around? I seem to recall a number of other people when Rin and Nadeshiko went on their first proper camping trip together, but iirc the focus was mostly on them and left other people out. I’d imagine other campers just mind their own business and it’s not really awkward to be relatively close out in the open like that.

I totally understand being irked by Toba-sensei for that reason. If I were to evaluate her as an actual, real life person yeah she’s pretty irresponsible and self-centered. But, suspending my disbelief for the manga, I vibe with her really hard just because I love bundling up, getting drunk, and gorging on camp food.

3 Likes

These tiny little stick figure kids were unexpected lol

Also really cool to see smores (and their etymology) in Japanese and have it retain the context of being a camp-snack.

Rin’s quip of 「スモアというよりモアモアだな」is pretty clever, I love it.

8 Likes

I admit I found it a teeny bit curious that the country of origin isn’t mentioned at all.

1 Like

Makes me wonder how well known smores are. I’m assuming since it gets its own little panel, not very? Nadeshiko seemed completely taken by surprise, and it’d make sense that Expert Camper Shimarin would know about it. Then again, it might be something that people who camp would be aware of, since a lot of the gear breakdown that happens covers fairly standard items and concepts.

There seems to be a lot of loan words and camping gear from other countries that I don’t think ever mention nation of origin, so it doesn’t strike me as super odd that they gloss over it for smores.