ゆるキャン△ Vol. 4 🏕

21 - クリキャンはじまるよ !!

Start date: November 7th

• I’m reading along :books:
  • I’m taking my time :camping:
  • I’m dropping out :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

0 voters

2 Likes

As threatened, there’s nothing new on the real world locations front this week.

Page 66, Nadeshiko’s use of オーキードーキー intrigues me a bit. I know “okay” has made it into fairly common usage in Japanese, but when did “okey dokey” make it over there?

Page 81, one of the changes they made for the drama is that instead of this whole sequence of Chikuwa chasing Nadeshiko then Nadeshiko chasing Chikuwa and then everyone playing frisbee (presumably because of the whole “working with children and animals” thing, ya know?), instead Nadeshiko loses track of Chikuwa, and while trying to find him, she finds Hiroshi instead. At which point she steals his catchphrase.

5 Likes

World’s cutest … sneeze!? ぶしゅ seems to be used for splashes of water (among other liquids), but not sure if that’s how it’s being used here.

5 Likes

I feel like I’ve heard “okey dokey” specifically said in other series? English turns of phrases and exclamations seem to have made their way into pop-culture lexicons at least. For Nadeshiko in particular, she’s already shown herself to be kinda… all over the place when it comes to her references and sense of humor haha.

Also god, wrap me up like Toba-sensei, it’s cold and windy out now.

2 Likes

A tad late (from the point of view of my timezone), but

22 - 特別な晩ごはん

Start date: November 14th

0 voters

3 Likes

Looks like there’s two options for the nearest convenience store to the campsite: a FamilyMart that’s 4km to the south, and a 7-Eleven that’s 4.2km to the north. Since we can see Mount Fuji on her right in the final panel, I guess she’s gone for option B. At the scooter speed limit of 30km/h, that should take 8 minutes each way, making 20 minutes for a round trip pretty reasonable.

Page 94, why is it that 椎茸 and 松茸 are written in kanji, but まいたけ is written in hiragana? Also, is there any etymological connection between 竹 and 茸? (P.S. To anyone wondering, マッシュルーム is the generic western common white mushroom.)

Not… not much else to comment on this week.

5 Likes

Hey guys, I was keeping up with the vocab sheet up until last week but I’ve reached a point in the semester where I really don’t think I can afford that time. I’m really sorry that I didn’t say anything about it before and that I can’t continue. Looking forward to coming back to y’all once I’m on the other side.

2 Likes

No sweat! It was definitely helpful but gotta focus on real life stuff. Good luck with the rest of your semester!

For myself, I’m taking the same approach that I’m using with the Kiki’s Delivery Service book club and just shooting for a general understanding rather than parsing out every single line I don’t know. Pleasantly surprised how much I can read now. Occasional vocab still trips me up, but Yuru Camp thankfully uses these kinds of words fairly often so a holistic approach with learning has worked rather well.

Me and my housemates have been eating a lot of hot pot, but seeing it in this manga makes me want it more lmao

Also, I love these in-between illustrations:

5 Likes

With A5 grade meat?

1 Like

god I wish :weary:

Seeing the girls in Santa outfits and the word クリスマス reminds me that I’m still amazed at how completely Japan has embraced Christmas as a holiday. Visiting during December to see Japanese Christmas is def on the bucket list, which would’ve happened this year if it weren’t for… well, everything.

But yeah, it’s neat to see how they still get the basic tenets of it down, given the reasoning for making sukiyaki. I wonder if Japanese kids ever take part in the whole “asking Santa for presents” thing?

1 Like

I visited in December 2017. I made a point of going to see Sanders Claus. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well… the basic tenets of one aspect of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

The サンタクレンジャー panel was funny, though. Especially Rin almost but not quite getting into it. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

While I missed Sanders Claus, me and buddies still managed to get a picture of him in his yukata (which I’m pretty sure is that very same statue). I’ll have to catch him another year…

And Rin’s reluctant compliance will never not be funny haha.

1 Like

Even later than usual… sorry about that.

23 - 12 月 25 日

Start date: November 21st

0 voters

3 Likes

So, this chapter was adapted to the final episode of the anime… 's first season, the first episode since the very… uh… first episode to only cover one chapter of the manga. That said, extra sequences were added to fill out the runtime - one at the start that’s a flash forward to what the characters are up to ten years into the future… which is revealed to actually be a story that Nadeshiko is telling the others while waiting for Rin to get back from shopping, and one added to the end that’s kind of an “and the story continues…” sequence showing Nadeshiko returning to Lake Motosu to try solo camping for the first time, and encountering Rin there. Either way, after this point, we’re heading into new territory… until the next season comes out, anyway.

Is anyone else as sad as I am that we never got to see Sukiyaki Episode III: Cheese Pasta?

Page 132, in the anime, right before Aki pulls out the tablet, she describes the concept of outdoor film festivals, which is illustrated this shot, which honestly looks to me like Back to the Future drawn in the style of Astro Boy. Anyone else concur?

Page 135, any idea if 原付の旅 is a reference to a real TV series?

Page 146, Love that callback to the first volume. まぶしい…

6 Likes

Maybe Kino’s Journey?

2 Likes

That’s totally Back to the Future lol

And yeah, not really much to comment on here aside from the fact that this series is extremely comfy. Which, I suppose, that’s the whole point haha. Tbh, watching a movie while you’re camping seems a bit… odd. Prolly comfy and fun, but it doesn’t seem particularly campy. Now, a setup like a projector and screen, that’s different.

I’m super excited to see what 5 is gonna be about, since this was S1’s end. Show me more excitingly mundane ways to go camping! I hope the girls try fishing at some point. I suppose we’ll also see what spring camping is like eventually?

That was my thinking, especially since the whole premise of Kino is a stoic girl who rides her motorbike. Yuru Camp has def dropped more than a few pop culture references here and there aside from this.

4 Likes

I am now officially one volume behind!

番外編 - へやキャン△

Start date: November 28th

0 voters

2 Likes

Page 150, first panel, what’s going on with the double negative in the left-hand half of the sentence. I get the gist of the sentence as a whole, I think (It’s for emergency use, but it’s not emergency food) but then there’s an extra negative.

Oh, there’s the film festival explanation, on page 153. The screen here is washed out, though. Is the “Fire Screen” on fire?

Page 155, interesting that “bushcraft” is the word that Aoi uses, considering that “bush” in that context comes from Australian English.

1 Like

I took this to mean something like “isn’t it?” So my interpretation would be the same as yours with this last part just softening her conclusion.

I’m glad you brought this up because I had never heard this word before and it wasn’t in the dictionary. I got the general meaning from context but it definitely tripped me up.

1 Like