やがて君になる -- Bloom into you Vol. 1 (Book club)

Haha, yep, beginning of a new week! I wanted to get a head start over the weekend, but got a stomach bug.

Starting on chapter 2 tonight.

2 Likes

I’d read chapter 1 before, so skipped the first week and made my first book club attempt last night. It went much better than what I remembered, probably because my Japanese practice has been more organised and regular in the past few weeks. Although my pace is still very slow, it’s good to see that kinda progress :slight_smile:

6 Likes

i caught up and finished chapter 1!

i feel incredibly proud that i can actually manage to read anything! at first i thought i’d reached to far by trying to read already. the first few pages i was struggling to even decipher the kanji (and kana), and it felt like an endless stream of grammer and vocab to look up.

metaphorically, it felt like i had jumped into the deep end and then realised that i couldn’t swim.

but each reading session has gotten better, easier, faster. i can recognise the characters, even when they switch to the bold font. the grammar is coming together. sentences grow and make sense.

like i was drowning and then realised i could breathe underwater.

it feels great! …it’s still hard work, of course. i’m still missing a lot of vocab, and need to improve my grammar. but it’s working!

to stretch the metaphor a bit, i’m not drowning anymore, but i still have to learn to swim :smiley:

…i know many of you are also still very much beginner readers. how are you guys managing? is the manga being kind to you?

major spoiler for chapter 1

also, they are so cute! ^^

sketch on last page of chapter 1, with handwriting

also, i said i could recognise the characters, but this handwriting is mostly beyond me. could someone maybe type it out for those of us who are struggling?

6 Likes

わが生徒会が求める人材
それは虫に対処できる人間!!

ちょっとした山ですもんね 生徒会室

Edit: belatedly put spoiler blur on it, oops.

4 Likes

ありがとうございます ^^

1 Like

I finished reading chapter 2 and I just had one question.

Spoilers

On page 65, 佐伯 thinks to herself 「私にはどうしても言い訳めいて聞こえる」. I’m not familiar with めいて and just wanted to make sure I got the meaning right. Checking on Jisho, it appears that it’s most likely the て form of めく which means “To have the appearance of”.

In that case, would it be appropriate to read this as “That just seems like an excuse to me.” or more literally “In the end, to me, all I can hear is what seems to be an excuse.”

1 Like

Yep. She keeps laying out plausible reasons but she’s full of shit and 佐伯 is pretty keen.

2 Likes

@Mrs_Diss that sketch at the end took me ages to figure out too. Really glad to heat that the reading is going well, though!

I’m going to finish chapter 2 either tonight or tomorrow, hopefully. I was going through my notes, though and there is one bit where I understand (I think) what is going on, but not sure why it is said like that. On p. 51 in the last panel 七海 says 仕事しょ仕事, which I took to mean let’s get back to work or something along those lines, but why say work twice? And what exactly is the role of しょ there?

1 Like

Oh, I took the double wording as her being flustered because of the situation. Got a real “busy, busy!” vibe from that - like she wants to run away and get back to work because she made it awkward.

3 Likes

Ah, yes, that could be it! I didn’t really think of it that way. Thanks!

that’s also how i interpreted it, yeah. for now that’s good enough for me ^^

1 Like

Is it possible to download the shared deck from kitsun.io?

Right now, they don’t allow export, but at some point I will have a google sheet of the deck, I would be happy to share that.

I think I liked 佐伯 more in the anime than in the manga.

It’s possible you’re thinking of her character through the whole anime though, which is 4+ volumes of story and character development.

佐伯 is Best Character, but only after the cafe scene. Up until then the story intentionally presents her from Yuu’s perspective as kind of a scary, mean, possessive upperclassmen.

1 Like

I sympathize with her a lot! Saeki and Nanami clearly have a lot of history, and suddenly Nanami is ditching Saeki for this random new first year out of nowhere. It makes sense Saeki would be expecting to be Nanami’s support for the election and then feel hurt when Nanami asks Yuu without mentioning it at all to her.

@seanblue in the anime I liked her from the beginning. As @hoodsandhats said you can sympathise with her that suddenly this person out of nowhere is stealing her best friend.

I kinda can’t put my finger on what my issue is with her now. I still want to read the light novels about her, though. But that’s for quite a bit further down the line.

Hi everyone,
How is it going? It has been a really crazy week, so did not have enough time to finish chapter 2. I also thought that maybe others need some extra time to catch up too?

Schedule for next week
  • Carry on with chapter 3
  • Let’s slow down a bit, I still have chapter 2 to finish
  • I’m a bit behind, but can fit in chapter 3 into next weel too

0 voters

i’m a bit behind, but i was expecting to be behind anyway, and don’t expect more advanced readers to wait for me. ^^

i was actually well on the way to catching up, but then i had a bit of an online holiday with some friends (because we’d usually meet up irl for a weekend at this time of year), and didn’t have any time to read. but i was a good time ^^