やがて君になる -- Bloom into you Vol. 1 (Book club)

Ah, yes I’m exactly the same way when reading something I like.

2 Likes

I created the thread for volume 2, head over there to check things out. :grinning:

I added 3 May as the start date, because it is a Monday and my brain just prefers that. Sorry. :rofl:

2 Likes

AAAAHHHHH, finished chapter 4. Yuu is such a tease! That whole, how much d you love me line? Nanami was cute, though and I also love the gift she got Yuu. If I ever saw something like that, I would definitely buy it.

Have to focus on grammar for the next few days, but then ready to tackle chapter 5! Beginning of May is soooo far away, though. But I also have loads of work commitments in the meantime, so hoping it will fly by (not really, because I need time to finish stuff for work, but vol. 2…).

2 Likes

Sorry I’ve been completely missing, I’ve been running on a hectic mind and got barely any reading done. I’ve read chapters 1 and 2 last week, and I plan to read 3 and 4 this week, and maaaaaaaybe chapter 5 if I’m feeling fresh. You are supposed to start chapter 5, if I’m not mistaken?

Hopefully the next volume I will be able to read along with you all!

Once we’re done with Volume 1 and while we wait until the start of Volume 2, maybe we can have a brief review and grammar/vocabulary discussion about things we found tricky? Just an idea!

3 Likes

yeah, chapter 5 is this week ^^ (oops)

the idea of having a bit of a review next week is good ^^ i don’t know how much i can participate, as i’m pushing it a bit with reading this. but i’d definitely read along ^^

2 Likes

Last week, last chapter!!! How is everyone doing?

@rikaiwisdom that’s a great idea, we could definitely do a bit of a grammar/ vocab discussion. Good luck with the chapters! Chapter 3 was quite easy and waaaay less text than in the previous chapters!

4 Likes

I’ve been hurrying to catch up so I can join in on volume 2, and was planning to reread once I was done anyway, so I’d definitely be up for some review between volumes.

4 Likes

we’re only starting volume 2 in may, so you’ve got plenty of time to catch up ^^

i really liked chapter 5. Koito shows us how good she is at reading a situation when she realises that Nanami really is much more nervous than she lets on, and that she is quite capable of taking the initiative. and for Nanami, we get to see behind her facade a bit, to where she’s vulnerable and needs support. we see a bit deeper into both characters, and in particular for Nanami, where she might need to grow ^^

5 Likes

Started on chapter 5 and have some vocab questions:

The bits highlighted in yellow. I could not find either in the dictionary. I do get the gist of what is being said in both places, but would be nice to know what does words mean too.

Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary and Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary :slight_smile:

3 Likes

散々
this one actually took a bit for me to find because the dakuten was so small lol

Probably the third definition, given she’s using it as a verb. Hence the した

ラッキー
Lucky!

1 Like

Ah, I know what the problem was! I kept putting in さんさん, instead of さんざん. :woman_facepalming:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Ooooh… this manga looks so good! I’m going to try to race through and hopefully (fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:) can catch up by the time you folks start vol 2!

6 Likes

I’m looking at ordering Vol 2 from Amazon, as neither of the Kinokuniya’s near me have it in stock sadly. Wondering if y’all will want to read other yuri manga later tho, as I’ve already read this series :thinking:

Everyone who hasn’t read it tho should. It’s great. I’m just not sure I want to buy the entire series again lol

2 Likes

Do you have any specific series in mind?

Besides Yagate Kimi ni Naru (which I loved), I’ve read Luminous = Blue, Strawberry Fields wo Mou Ichido, and Tsurezure Biyori, all of which were fine but nothing special. I tried and dropped Akarui Kioku Soushitsu and Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu because they just weren’t that interesting.

I’m currently reading Otona ni Nattemo by Shimura Takako (as I really liked Hourou Musuko by her) and would be interested in reading Aoi Hana by her as well. Aoi Hana would probably be a higher bar than Yagate Kimi ni Naru in terms of difficulty though, as I don’t think it uses much furigana.

2 Likes

I’ve actually read Yuri is My Job (私の百合) in english and thought I was great, but it’s much more comedy than say, やが君 is.

I’m currently looking into さよならローズガーデン but I haven’t read any of it yet, so no idea if it’s actually any good. Other than that I’m open to suggestions. I’ve read Citrus in it’s entirety, and tried the spin off, but that didn’t seem to catch my attention really.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about reading 欠けた月とドーナッツ after やが君, but I think it’s more difficult mainly because not everything has furigana. But that could be an option.

2 Likes

i’m reading あさがおと加瀬さん on the side, as i couldn’t wait until we start volume 2 of やがて君になる :smiley: (i mentioned it in the thread for volume 2)

it’s a lot lighter than やが君 in mood, and i find it much easier to read. though that is probably also due to it being a month since we started やが君, and having about three levels more kanji/vocab :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about that one, I’d like to read it! Plus kanji is the strong suit of all us wanikanites, right? :wink:

Edited to add: this week has been super bananas for me so I haven’t done the reading yet… I can definitely still finish but I probably won’t have a lot to say!

2 Likes

Will be finishing the book tonight!

On a side note, I sometimes really love 沙弥香!

3 Likes