やがて君になる -- Bloom into you Vol. 1 (Book club)

I see. I always thought of the causitive as strictly “Make [someone] do [something]”, and didn’t realize the causative can convey “Let [someone] do [something]” as well, but that makes sense now. Thanks :smiley:

Ah, yeah, in Japanese its used to convey both concepts, with the idea apparently being that the other person is sort of a proximate cause of the action, whether that be by permitting the action or prompting it.

The permissive use is extremely unintuitive for English speakers, but, knowing that it exists, it is actually pretty easy to distinguish between the two uses in context.

It is often used when asking for permission, expressing that you got permission, or just as a polite (or at least formal; sometimes its kinda rude) way of saying you’re going to do something in the form of させてもらう (like the ubiquitous 今日は休ませていただきます when calling in sick, as referenced elsewhere on the forum recently)

2 Likes

Yay, finished chapter 2. It’s getting slightly faster to read, though it helps that they keep going in about the elections.

I love the little cartoons at the end of each chapter, though that font is not easy to read.

4 Likes

That’s no font… that’s handwriting!

草稿 if anyones needs to know

3 Likes

I spent this week cramming for my citizenship test so I haven’t had a chance to read chapter 3 yet, but I passed the test today (yay!) and I’m planning to catch up this weekend :slight_smile:

Although I usually dislike flashcards, I made an Anki set with the vocabulary from chapters 1-2 that I didn’t understand and I gotta say it’s much nicer to study when the context I know the words from is something I actually have interest in, not just a textbook or example sentence :smiley:

8 Likes

@Nanashi96 congrats on the citizenship test!

I finished chapter 3 tonight, thankfully this chapter was a bit shorter/ had less text than the previous ones, so managed to catch up.

How is it going for everyone? What do you think of the story so far?

And…

Are you ready for chapter 4?
  • Yes
  • Heck, yes
  • I already started chapter 4
  • No
  • I gave up

0 voters

1 Like

Glad the poll shows we’re all on the same page :wink:

1 Like

i’d forgotten that i’d finished chapter three :smiley: …thought i would have to do catch-up again

so instead, i’m starting chapter 4 with a question: what does the title of the chapter mean?

まだ大気圏

my guess

i can figure out all the bits, but as for meaning… i presume it’s got a metaphorical sense, perhaps as something which is in the air, but not yet said, something there, but not yet made real? like “there’s something in the air”? or is it a specific japanese expression?

also, Nanami Senpai’s face when she learns that Koito talked about her at home and described her as beautiful is too cute! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hey all! I’ve read this entire series in english, but think this manga should be something close to my reading level that I can work through. I don’t think I have enough time rn to reread it, this time in Japanese, but I’ll pop in and see if I can’t answer any questions when I can!

2 Likes

welcome to the club! i’m sure you’ll be able to catch up! ^^

1 Like

@IntrepidFox Thank you!

Yeah I’m also ready for chapter 4, I was happy I managed to read chapter 3 in just one go. Thanks to all the lesbian confusion and awkward staring, there wasn’t as much to read as before :joy:

2 Likes

That was pretty much my guess too. まだ= ‘still’ or ‘only’ 大気圏= the atmosphere. Although I’m a bit confused about 圏 at the end, because in WK atmosphere was simply 大気, also meaning air. So, I guess for the title ‘Still in the atmosphere’, meaning that not everything has been said so far.

@hoodsandhats yes, everyone seems to be on the same page. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I laughed out loud at this, but so true.

2 Likes

Lesbian Confusion and Awkward Staring is the name of my Autobiography
And my cover band

3 Likes

Same, same. :tired_face:

1 Like

I started chapter 4 and have some questions.

From the context I figure that 侑 is saying that this is where they split up and go on their own way home. But when I checked in the dictionary it seemed to me that 疲れ様 means tired looking. So, would that be correct here?

Also, what is the deal with 連休 meaning consecutive holiday? Why consecutive?

@Mrs_Diss was right, though 七海’s face when 侑’s mother is telling her that oh, yeah, 侑 was rigth, she is beautiful. :rofl:

お疲れ様 is the thing you say when separating after work. Like oh you must be so tired. I wouldn’t think about it too deeply because it’s just an 挨拶, what’s important isn’t what it means but when you say it.

So she’s saying, here is where I say お疲れ様, kinda. Like “and with that, goodbye” kinda thing.

Can you clarify what bothers you about 連休?

5 Likes

お疲れ様 is a way of saying thank you for your work/help, in the context of after doing work together. also kind of a polite bye in the same context.

i think, at least ^^

QuackingShoe-San, you beat me to it! ^^

3 Likes

連休明け, google translated that as “after the golden week”, the golden week being a week which has several holidays lined up, and during which japanese people often take mini-vacations. so i assumed that golden week was coming up, and that that was just how that was written.

2 Likes