ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 5 Discussion 🧹

Aww, I tried searching Jisho for からかって, because I didn’t know the actual verb ending, and it kinda shrugged at me and went “well, this is clearly か+らか+って” (like, not even から+かって), but what’s this I see at the bottom of the definition for 揶揄う? “Usually written using kana alone”.

At least try to be consistent, Jisho.

5 Likes

I love this grammar point! So useful!!!

1 Like

I’m reading Takagi-san these days, and didn’t catch that either. You’re not alone, at least!

Edit: p102 - こんなことで - what is this で doing here? Indicating certainty, emphasis, etc.?

Edit 2: p102 - 散歩の途中でして少し休憩をしてたんです。- I understand this means “I took a break during my walk,” but what is the して doing there? I feel like you could take it out and nothing would change?

Edit 3: シスチム – p102 - sister… team…?

2 Likes

As in other languages, sometimes when people are talking, they say one part of a sentence, and at the end they realize the sentence might be ambiguous without further information, so they say another part that complements the first one.

As far as I understand, that’s what is happening here.

If you flip these two phrases, you get one full sentence:

こんなとこで何してたの?

With sentence like this, you can see that で in this case is the particle that indicate the place where something is happening. What are you doing? In this place.

It is actually シスム, not シスム. So, System :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not really confident about this, but I think it is する in て-form, used to connect the two sentences. I believe it is the する from 散歩する, though this is the first time I see の途中 in the middle of it. “I am in the middle of taking a walk, and now I am taking a little break”

5 Likes

Ah, I only started reading this week’s chapter today! (But I also finished it today. Had to leave the Nintendo Switch and Pokemon at home so I could read on my bus commutes and during lunch.)

Page 88: I love easy pages!

Page 90: I know this isn’t entirely uncommon in manga, but I love that Makoto speaks using ます, because that’s what we were taught in Japanese class back when I was in high school. Reading casual Japanese feels far apart from what I learned way back in the beginning, so Makoto’s dialogue feels nostalgic for me.

Page 91: Makoto says 「大丈夫なんです」 This なん used to give me so much trouble, but these days I know it’s 「大丈夫な」+「の」+「です」. I can feel the progress I’ve made when I recognize this. But I still have a ways to go to fully be comfortable with it, to understand it without thinking about it and analyzing it.

Page 92: I’m glad to see talk of がてら above, because I had no idea what to make of it. (I mean, aside from the obvious misreading of 散歩+が+てら. Like, what do you mean the walk is a temple? Makes so much more sense after reading about がてら.)

Page 95

multi
bat

Page 96: Hey, it’s 意地悪. I learned that from WaniKani not too long ago! I’m glad I’m not the only one who was confused by the からかっちゃ.

Page 101: Why did I read Nao’s line as 「いないだ」? It’s not the first time I’ve misread 「こないだ」 this way, and it makes no sense to me as I know hiragana very well. At least when I finished reading the whole line, my immediate thought was, “Shouldn’t this be こないだ?”

Page 103: Tiny print is hard to read on the ebook. Last panel, I believe it’s 「言葉わかるんだ…」

Page 104: Makoto really likes sprinkling those English words into her sentences, doesn’t she?

Page 105: I just realized, the 苦労 I learned from WaniKani is part of ご苦労様.

8 Likes

Your neck briefly spasmed, and you ended up reading the い on its side.

5 Likes

Yes, I really love this as well. I’m just as happy with either style now but there’s something comforting about ます form, in a nostalgic way. I think it’s partly that I’ve encountered it far less often in the material I’ve been reading, so it feels like a nice surprise.

2 Likes

ugh I’m behind…trying to get caught up…stuck on some confusing negatives…

Page 106 or p106

The very last panel/bubble

魔女なんて
いろはずないじゃないですか

The first part I read as “which what!”

The second part I parsed
いろ to exist (witches)
はずない = don’t exist
じゃないですか = is not

The does not not exist (and other different ways of double negatives get used in Japanese tends to confuse me)…

1 Like
p 106

I don’t remember the context of the sentence, but I’m fairly sure the hazu is the one mentioned in this: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/should

(So it kind of means that things would be expected to be some certain way, so in this case it’s about expecting someone to be a witch)

Checked the page, and the いるはずない is about not expecting witches to exist (いる - to exist, はずない - expecting something to not happen/be true).

So she’s asking something like “but witches aren’t actually real, right?” as part of her awkward denial of being a witch.

And about the nante:
http://maggiesensei.com/2013/09/02/how-to-use-なんてnante/

3 Likes

I don’t think you shouldn’t let it trouble you, but wouldn’t it be better if you didn’t?

(I have no idea what I just said.)

@Ditto20 already covered what I wrote below (I was way too slow at it!), but I’ll leave it here:

なんて can be used to mean “such as; (things) like”. I translate this part as “something like witches”.

はず is used for expectations. Here’s what I have in my own notes on はず:

In this case, rather than だ, it’s followed by ない, so you get the opposite. Something “should not” be.

If 「魔女なんていろ」 shouldn’t be, then “Something like witches are not expected to exist.”

じゃない seems to be used for affirmation half the time, so you get:

“Something like witches shouldn’t exist, right?” (Doesn’t flow very well in English, though. I like with Ditto20’s “But witches aren’t actually real, right?”)

Just wait until the day you encounter something ending with 「じゃないじゃん」 :wink:

6 Likes

p103 – Hmm, I didn’t know you could say the -tari form just once to have it mean “and the like”… Interesting (他の動物の魔女もいたりしますよ)

1 Like

“I understand what you mean”?

Edit: Some sentences I typed out in case it helps someone:
元々ノープランの散歩なので一緒に行かせて下さい。(p104)
そだね昔は農業で凄く栄えてたんだって。(p104)
無事に帰ってこれたな。 (p108)
何か人生で初めて犬に追いかけ回されました。(p109)

Edit 2: p106 – ジョウシキテキニー
Does the に here have the same function it has in 一緒に?

Edit 3: p108 – “どっこりしょー”?

This is actually どっこいしょ. This word is usually used when one is doing something that takes extra effort, or when one is really tired and everything seems to take an effort.

I’d say it is similar. 一緒 is a noun that means “together”, and に turns 一緒 into an adverb (which means that whatever verb happens there, is done “together”).

常識的 means “ordinary; sensible” (in this case, it is an adjective). The に turns it into an adverb (ordinarily; sensibly; normally).

3 Likes

I think it’s Nao referring to how Makoto understood what the cat said. With the んだ, I get the feeling of her saying, “Of course she understands the cat.” (But that’s stretching it a bit.)

Edit:

I took the に to make 「じょうしき てき」 into an adverb (with no verb spoken, thus implied). But if someone more certain can weigh in, I’d love to hear more thoughts on it.

Edit 2: By the way, I’ve never considered what the function of に is in 一緒に…

Edit 3: Oops, just noticed Belthazar already address this! (That’s what happens when I’m doing multiple things at once and don’t check all replies.)

1 Like

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: my favorite chapter so far (and I haven’t even finished yet)
Aaaah I just love cats :heart_eyes_cat: and チトさん! He(she?) had me laughing quite a bit, it’s really a fun read. And the conversation in the beginning between Ken and Makoto about the stroll and Chito just had me go aaaaaw several times lol

I have some grammar questions but probably there will be more ahead so I will ask them all at once as soon as I have finished the chapter.

4 Likes

As promised, here are my questions. I’d be grateful if someone can help me out :slight_smile:

p90
一生ここに帰ってこれなくなるぞ?
Kei is talking about Makoto’s poor sense of direction and if she’s okay going alone. So I guess here he’s saying something along the lines of how in her whole life she’s never succeeded in returning and coming? back “here”. I don’t really understand the これなく part (other than that it’s negative) and how it fits into the sentence…

p91
実はチトさんこの辺を色々探索してたみたいで私よりも土地勘があるんですよ
What does みたい do here? Does it mean “sort of” or “seems like” or something along those lines?

p104
ただ配達しに行くだけなんだけど
Does this mean something like “But I’m only going to merly deliver (something)…” I’m a bit confused that ただ and だけ are both used here. I guess it’s to express that she’s really not doing anything special?

(I had two more questions but while typing and thinking about what troubled me, I suddenly were able to answer them by myself :rofl:)

2 Likes

It’s potential form of 帰ってくる. Often in colloquial speech the ら is removed from potential form (ichidan verbs and 来られる from 来る), which in this case makes 来れる.

That’s what it looks like to me.

3 Likes

“Seems like”

Right (other than delivery, that is).

1 Like

Makoto trying to hide that she’s a witch akkolul

4 Likes