ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 3 Discussion 🧹

He is being overly dramatic, saying that it would destroy her image of him.

5 Likes

one more page 47

Page 47 p47 / last bubble

I understand I think what’s happening but not sure why she would be referring to herself in the 3rd person…

なおに家まで 送ってくれるよう Until Home with Nao to see off (as a favor)
頼んどいたからさ because you asked me to entrust (her care)

Because you asked, I’ll take care of her until we get home (or something like that)…

It feels like I’m missing something because if Nao is speaking then why is she referring to herself unless I’m clueless and misreading :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! I was reading it as more a 3rd wheel at where the person feels left out of the convo :slight_smile:

That’s possibly what he had in mind. It does sound like a way to tell her not to come without being rude.

2 Likes
Page 47

This is actually Makoto’s cousin who says it, I forget his name. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Oops missed that question. But yeah, it’s 圭 (けい) saying that.

3 Likes

Thanks for help!

Ugh I keep mixing up もらう and くれる… Every time I think I get it… This happens :joy:

I thought if he was asking he would use もらう oh grammar how you mess with my head!

2 Likes
Page 49:"

わかりますわかりますよ男の子だけでしか話せないことがあるってことぐらいわかりますけど紹介ぐらいしてくれてもいいじゃないですか
I understood it as “I understand there are things onlys boys can talk about on occasion, but it’s okay to introduce me, isn’t it?” How close am I?

I don’t really understand why/how some of the grammar points are used in there: ことがあるってことぐらい This seems to be one grammar point after eachother, but I don’t fully grasp what they’re all doing. Though I think that the ことがある means that it happens on occasion [that boys have boy talk]
ぐらい is an alternative form of くらい, but what is the ってこと doing?
How do I put this into something that makes sense to me? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Your understanding is pretty good. 男の子だけで is basically saying “among just guys”. So not that only boys can talk about it, but that they can only talk about it when it’s just guys around. Your understanding of ことがある is fine. ってこと is ということ. I find this grammar point hard to grasp and explain, because it doesn’t really seem to do anything. Here it is on Bunpro.

P.S. It would help if you put the sentences on multiple lines or put 。 at the end of each one (after the わかります and わかりますよ in this case).

5 Likes

I’m having a hard time of grasping how ーとく is used in this manga. What’s the difference between this ^ and simply using やめたほうがいい?Something like, “it would be better if you gave up right now”? (from the even more literal "it would be better if you stopped in advance/from the start)? While やめたほうがいい would be more like “it would be better if you gave up”?

2 Likes

Since て+おく has the meaning of doing an action for one’s convenience later (such as studying today to have an easier time on a test tomorrow, or looking at a map before leaving on a trip to avoid getting lost), I’d say the meaning here is if here is “It’d be better for you later if you stop now.” She’d have a rough time later (if she were to hang out with Kei with his friends), so it’s best to stop quit trying.

5 Likes

What is よう doing here?

2 Likes

You need to read the rest of the sentence. It’s part of よう(に)頼む.

2 Likes

Ah, I get it. The absence of the に confused me.

Edit: In anyone’s wondering about わりい on p47

3 Likes

Ugh, yeah, that grammar point gave me headaches, too. Maybe this helps? Reddit - Dive into anything

Edit: Is the dakuten for emphasis?

f636556a4e

3 Likes

Hm… yeah, it’s a really odd grammar point. :thinking:

Oops, my bad. I forgot to leave out the two short sentences. I edited them out.

Thanks for the response! Helped me understand the sentence better. :slight_smile:

I just finished with this week’s chapter. I’m so ahead of time with the reading this week. :smiley:

Past the big witch info dump from first half of the chapter, the second half was a really fun read and not as hard. Also I didn’t expect the cute mandrake at all.

4 Likes

tried to reply and got this one…(haven’t seen this before)…

sounds like I am posting to much mr crabigator…challenge accepted…all questions will be posted no matter how trivial…muahaha!

I remember from the anime…I didn’t think it was “cute” more like うるさい!

5 Likes

I admit I’m behind now and need to get caught up…been slow going and now I’m tired

Keep getting hung on trying to get a sensical English sentence back out of what’s there

Page 51 or p51 - first panel

makoto says

こないだのお詫びと
I parse this first line as:
こないだ - the other day
の / particle
お詫び - secret
と / particle
The other days secret

これからよろしくという
これから / from this
よろしく / let’s be kind to one another, yadda yadda
という / I think
I think from now on we can be friends (etc).

意味を込めまして
意味 = meaning
を = particle
込めまして to put into (teiru wi iru dropped?) = putting emotion into
Putting (my feelings) into meaning

I feel like I’m slow again like in the last book ugh…but this time around I feel better about sort of understanding what’s going on but when I get tired it’s too hard to turn that mess into a natural sentence that I could explain to someone else what’s going on in English.

Sorry if this is a lame question but don’t worry…it won’t be my last :smirk:

おやすみなさい!

1 Like

お詫び means “apology”
That part meant “as an apology for (what happened) before and”

to say, but in this case it serves as a way to connect to 意味

No time now, I’ll finish this post later.

Edit: here we go.

Just putting the thing before the verb into.
In this case, putting said (という) meaning (意味) into (the gift she wants to make)

Literal translation doesn’t work at all here, but she is saying that this gift is also a way to express her apologies for what happened before as well as her wish that their relationship goes well from now on.

4 Likes

so then is this another place where the literal translation doesn’t work? I didn’t’ find any obvious idioms… still in the same panel :frowning:

Page 51

いやいや、no no

別にいいよ (this one seems confusing)
別に not especially
いいよ good you know
not especially good doesn’t feel right…
this feels more like “nevermind its ok you know”

そんな気を遣わなくて
そんな = such things
気を遣わな = negative of 気を遣う / to pay attention to another’s needs
くて = to do a favor shortened くれる
such things like others needs you don’t need to pay attention to my needs

I get that basically she’s saying no no, it’s ok you don’t need to worry about my needs (do me the favor) (sort of literal)…but how to do you parse this to make natural English ?

I think the 別に is making this more confusing for me…

2 Likes