ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 3 Discussion 🧹

I also put Page number as pnumber, but not here. It’s for my personal deck only (I have no intent to share this deck because I don’t put all vocabs in there. Just the ones that I need to learn, anyway). I share it here because it’s interesting to see the way you use search inside a thread. I use p003 to list some vocabs on page 3 on Kitsun. In short, I agree with you, naming Page 41 is more helpful in thread like this. Also I found mentioning specific panel is helpful when there are many words on that page.

1 Like

minor correction? did you mean 出る or 出ている・ 出てる

I meant る. I have no idea how でる got there.

1 Like

I’m on page 44 and I feel like I’ve been stuck in some witches 101 orientation that is kind of boring and since I don’t speak witch (in this case Japanese), it’s even harder to keep pushing through!

I can’t wait for her long winded explanation of witchville to end … these sentences are brutal! haha

I’m getting tired so must be the primary problem … haha and I know when I’m tired things make less sense…and with the time change it’s bed time ! Anyway…

Page 44

Somehow this became “not allowed to talk”

Panel 4
喋っちゃ…
I think “not allowed to” is probably correct but don’t have a grammar point for this informal speech?

っちゃ is a contraction of ては, which when completed with the conveniently omitted いけない, means „must not“.

Edit: Here is a full explanation of the grammar point including variations and also the contraction.

3 Likes

Thanks! I think I might have asked in the last book too now that I think about it…but I haven’t seen it since… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the first time I read this those pages nearly killed me :sweat_smile: as exposition dumps go, I think it’s a fairly neat execution, but when you’re not a native speaker that kind of density is just brutal.

There’s some respite coming up :wink:

(and regarding page numbers… yeah… the search function isn’t very good anyway, so it’s always tricky :pensive: )

2 Likes

For especially anyone holding higher than N4 under their belt, can you confirm whether I understand it correctly or not?

I read on DBJG about わけだ and searched about わけ on BunPro.

So literal translation would be:

Shut up! Or NA NA NA NA NA!!! Or You’re so annoying my heart so be quiet! (Oh! So bloated :stuck_out_tongue:)

It doesn’t mean that I’m afraid like you said.

I know the not literal translation (I have the English version of this book) but I’m not talking about that.

別に Nothing. Nah.
kowai wake janaitte <~~ not that I’m afraid / It doesn’t mean that I’m afraid like (you) said.
no <~~ Female Ending.

The very first time I saw you both talked about it I wanted to reply immediately but it was impossible to do that because life called. So now I’m replying.

I understand about 出てる, or 出る, or 出ている. But I still don’t understand why 出と something something I can’t find the page because I missed when you talked about page or :thinking: I read it this afternoon but right now I can’t find it again on which page and which panel. :sweat:

Ah. Found it! Page 43. First Panel on top.

Now. I'm probably referring/talking about different page than what you talked about. You talked about page 42 right?

1 Like

The って here is about the speaker. I’m telling you (that it’s not because I am afraid).

That’s the wrong grammar point, though? You want the one just under that on BunPro (わけではない)

出とく=でておく
There was an explanation about it already: ておく means to do something in advance/ in prevision for something else. (Here, it’s to be ready for the eventuality that she can’t make a living as a witch)

4 Likes

@Naphthalene wasn’t たくましい (sadly here without kanji) as on page 42 the word that got you all excited about Laid-Back Camp? I thought of you as I read it :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: I know the kanji was the whole point, but apparently this word is now strongly associated with you in my mind

4 Likes

Yes, that’s the one. But more specifically, it was the kanji usage without furigana. It speaks of the 逞しさ of the expected audience :stuck_out_tongue:

Now that you mention it, I wouldn’t mind getting it as a custom title :eyes: just saying if anyone is listening. No? Well okay then.

4 Likes

haha…
shhhhhhhhh … we don’t talk about sect names …(I know it was in some thing somewhere I read ages ago…but if I can’t ask cuz we don’t talk about them…so chicken/egg

3 Likes

oops%20i_0045

8 Likes

hehe most excellent! haha

ok now question…Page 45:
what is the function of くらい here:

Page 45 or p45 for others

The line has できるだけ秘密しましょうくらいです
できるだけ = as much as possible
秘密 = secret
しましょう = let’s do
です = her always making things polite :wink:

I read this (w/o the くらい) as “Let’s keep as much as possible as secret.”

But what does the くらい add to the statement or change about it? I’ve seen it as about for time and things, never quite like this.

Edit: I think I might have figured this out…

Is this a noun phrase with “about” meaning about the things she just told her?
so as much as possible let’s keep secret [about this]

or am I way off? I think I’m way off cuz くらい is usually an I-adjective :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

I’m not too sure on this one, but here’s my interpretation.

First, the previous sentence:
大丈夫です。別に罰則とかありませんから。
It’s fine. (Because) you won’t be punished or anything.

できるだけ秘密にしましょうくらいです。きっと。
I’m having trouble writing an actual translation to this. It’s basically what you said. But the くらい I think is referring to the extent of how to address the situation now that Nao knows she’s a witch. There may not be a punishment, but they should at least go so far as to keep it a secret. Then the きっと shows a lack of confidence by Makoto. As in, surely just keeping it a secret is sufficient. Then this leads back to the アバウト explanation that @Naphthalene gave earlier.

That’s my understanding at least.

It’s not that kind of “about”. It means “approximately” in those kinds of usages.

That means “dark” / “gloomy”, which isn’t relevant here, and would normally be written as 暗い.

8 Likes

total random thing… not saying anything or commenting in any way…just linking to the rules …

https://community.wanikani.com/t/forum-rules-and-getting-started-read-me/4549

“10. Never ask for a sect title or you’ll be added to the list of people who will never be able to get a sect title.”

tehehe

I think that was related to Makoto’s expression. She shouldn’t have said that to Nao but yeah …

2 Likes

できるだけ聞かないようにしましょうくらいです。きっと。

10 Likes

ok next question cuz why not post up lots of them :smiley:

edit---- sorry if I confused anyone…added the missing :man_kneeling: (get it… kneeling - knee - ni)…I know…bad joke :smirk:

Page 47

やめといたほうがいい
オレたちの会話聞いてたら幻滅すると思う

I get that he’s basically trying to be polite and say it would be better if you “refrained” from going (quit doesn’t feel right here).
But then he says
If you listen to our conversation, I think you will be disillusioned.

This is sooooo not natural English?! I understand basically it would be better if you didn’t come along, and that you wouldn’t enjoy listening to us talk…but the vocab here seems to be a tad off to get back to natural English (based on the spreadsheet) or something…

1 Like