ふらいんぐうぃっち | Week 1 Discussion 🧹

There was none, but it’s literally the title of the series and she has a black cat. Seems like a fair assumption :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

A lot of romanizations for place/person names leave out the long vowels. For example, if we’re being very accurate, Tokyo should be Toukyou, Kyoto should be Kyouto, and Osaka should be Oosaka.

This is why I prefer using hiragana instead of romaji. Back on topic: It’s Kousai not kosai. Or to say it in hiragana it’s こうさい not こさい . I don’t always type in hiragana especially on mobile.

2 Likes

Excited to be starting this! This will be my third time through the story: I first watched it as anime (with subtitles) then read the manga in English.

6 Likes

My try in translating page (9/163). CMIIW.

迎えに来てくれたんですか? Did you come to meet me? Did you come to see me? Did you come to fetch me? Did you come for me?
ああそうだよ Yeah, right.
真琴は方向音痴だったろ? You were poor sense of locality right?
ウチまで辿り着毛ないと思ってな I thought I would take you along with me until we got home.

@Oshin

My take
  • 迎えに来る is a set phrase meaning “to pick someone up”.
  • “Poor sense of locality” sure is a weird way to say that, but I see you likely got it from jisho. I’d say “no sense of direction”.
  • だったろ is putting it in the past tense, while adding some uncertainty. I take this as him remembering her being bad at directions, but not being sure.
  • 辿り着く translates to “to find one’s way to” according to jisho, and it’s in negative potential form in this sentence. He’s following up on his previous statement, saying that he thought she wouldn’t be able to find her way to his home.

So,
Makoto: You came to pick me up?
Kei: That’s right. You have no sense of direction, right? I didn’t think you’d be able to find your way to our home.

6 Likes
Summary

Why not you had … ?
Because だったろ

Ever have that sudden sinking feeling when you’re merrily reading a manga…and suddenly everything comes to a screeching halt? Page 12 initially knocked the wind out of me, but with the help of the excellent book club vocab sheet and a couple of re-reads I was able to make it to page 19.

A question about something on p13

「こんなモンですよ」— What is モン? Or am I failing at reading katakana?

:broom:

Vocab I learned

p17
いちにんまえになる — to come of age; to become an adult; to become fully qualified; to stand on one’s own​

p18
あまもの — remains; leavings; remnant; surplus​

:broom:

:open_book: reader status: No hair loss
most frequent question: Why did I put away my magnifying glass? The furigana is :microscope:-ic

5 Likes

Because English tense continuation doesn’t work the same as in Japanese.
He is referring to something that was true and should still be true. It feels more natural (I think) to use the present for that in English.

5 Likes
Answer about 13

It’s short for もの.

5 Likes

Just doesn’t sound natural in English.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think the tendency for shortening words in this manga is going to be an obstacle for me.

2 Likes

The nice thing about encountering and learning the shortened words is you’ll start seeing them all over the place, and that’ll cement your recollection of them.

8 Likes

I see. Thanks!

I’m on mobile right now.

1 Like

Is it just me, or does Chinatsu seem waaay weirder than Makoto? I don’t really understand why she’s freaked out about the cat? Most cat owners I know would have exactly that kind of “conversation” with their cat. I could see it freaking out a very young child, but Chinatsu doesn’t seem that young…

6 Likes

Maybe it’s because she’s speaking politely to チトさん? :smile: Don’t know how common that would be. I can also imagine it’s supposed to be some stylistic devise to build tension around the big reveal, haha. (Well, reveal for 千夏 anyway.)

5 Likes
My thoughts on Chinatsu's eavesdropping…

I thought Chinatsu was freaked out about the “conversation” because Chito sounds like she’s actually having a conversation with Makoto—asking her questions and answering her.

10 Likes

Same as @Mokumokuren
As I stated earlier in this thread, I assume it marks Makoto as a witch, which can be freaky, especially if witches are rare/misunderstood.

1 Like

Yeah I get to ask my first stupid question :laughing:

Page 14

This sentence

昼飯の準備してくっから一段落したら来て

I understand that they are saying “since we have lunch prepared, after settling in (if you want), come (eat).” sort of loose literal translation … anyway

everything except this one silly thing…The te-ku-tsu … what’s going on there…I feel dumb asking but heck why not start with a silly question…

My first thought was oh that’s the verb 作る (つくる)but it’s not because the hiragana would be backwards…so then then I thought I’m missing another verb but something is shortened…or maybe it’s colloquial grammar…

I’m sure it’s something obvious but I’m not seeing it…?

1 Like

My guess would be: してく => していく

Or してくる.

I’m not certain about the っ; dialect perhaps?

I read the line as, “Since I’m preparing lunch, come down when you’re settled in.

2 Likes