のんのんびより: Chapter 1 Discussion

I read the first two chapters a while back when I first tested using digital version. I didn’t come in with any expectations, and I kept getting confused with who’s who, but I really enjoyed the humour. I hope it continues to be as amusing all the way through.

4 Likes

Nice. I skimmed through the first three chapters on the digital version and it was relatively fun.

@Radish8 The art seems pretty much the same between the manga and anime to me. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Split between the bottom of page 6 and the top of page 8:

学年がばらばらなので基本授業は自習形式そのためか先生は基本寝ています

I think I understand what this means (because the school years are so scattered, class is basically self study, so the teacher basically sleeps) but what grammar is ためか?

It’s related to ために and jisho says ため is a word by itself - consequence is probably the relevant definition - so I’m guessing what I’m missing is exactly what it can mean to tack か onto something in the middle of a sentence.

1 Like

According to jisho, そのため by itself is “for that reason”.

Here, we can see the different uses of か.

1. Final interrogative particle, similar to a question mark

お元げん気きですか。

O-genki desu ka.

How are you? [How is your health?]

2. Particle marking alternatives in a list; or

これ 、それ 、どっちか選えらんでよ。

Kore ka , sore ka , dotchika erande yo.

This or that, choose one of them.

3. Whether (or not)

行いく 知しらない。

Iku ka shiranai.

I don’t know whether he’ll go.

4. Indication of doubt (which is the one that I think applies in this case)

いく と思おもいますが……

Iku ka to omoimasu ga……

I think he’ll go ( but I’m not sure )…

It basically adds doubt or uncertainty to the phrase before it.

You could see it as:
For that reason; That may be the reason (that); Perhaps, for that reason.

I don’t know if it’s exactly the way I explained it, but it’s how I read it and what I think about when I see か.

Hope it helps, and if it’s wrong, someone please correct me. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What is ちうわけで in ちうわけで休みにはいってもよろしいですか in the second panel of page 9 ?

1 Like

というわけで, it’s on the vocab list as:

Conclusion from reasoning, judgement or calculation based on something read or heard.

Here, as:

というわけで

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like I need a list of all the different ways people can mangle という in speech. Every time I see something that makes me go “what is this,” it turns out to be some mutated version of that. Just when I think I’ve seen them all, another appears.

Anyway xD

Can’t say it’s made much of an impression on me yet :stuck_out_tongue: It’s about what I expected: fine enough, but probably not something I’ll feel like continuing beyond the first volume. I’ll definitely need a few more chapters to really judge, though.

5 Likes

I bought the second volume just in case. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Oops, thanks

Chapters 2 and 3 are here!

1 Like

I just gotta ask a question from the very first page of chapter 1 real quick before I catch up on the next, because it’s bugging me too much :stuck_out_tongue:

Page 5

Top-left and middle panels

両親の仕事の都合で
この学校に転校して
きました

そして住む場所が
変わると
学校の様子も変わるようで

I feel like I’m totally missing something here, because it seems to me like she says (paraphrasing) “I transferred to this school because of my parents’ work situation” but then goes on to say “and then when we moved house I moved school too” which just seems to me like she said the same thing twice. Is there a different nuance to 転校する and 変わる or something?

2 Likes

Think it’s more like “when we changed where we lived (i.e. from city to country, rather than specifically moving house), the state of affairs at school changed as well”

What you seem to be missing is the 様子.

I think there’s more to it than what @Belthazar is saying. I think the key part you’re missing is the ようで at the end. Also, remember that Hotaru is only a fifth grader so her logic may not be as refined as an adult’s.

両親の仕事の都合で、この学校に転校してきました
I transferred to this school due to my parents’ work situation.

そして住む場所が変わると学校の様子も変わるようで
And it seems that when the place you live changes, your school situation changes too.

I see the nuance of the second sentence being that Hotaru is like “Huh, I guess when you move you have to change schools too”.

3 Likes

Hmm, okay, but I’m still confused by the two sentences (I missed that when writing out my question, but not in generally understanding the sentence). It still seems like she says “because of my parents’ work situation I transferred to this school, and then when we moved my school circumstances also changed”, which is a little nonsensical.

Edit:, ah, I think @seanblue has cracked it. Thanks for the help, both :slightly_smiling_face:

onwards!

3 Likes

I think the key point is that not only did she change schools because she moved house (school in different location), but the very nature of the school changed from what she was accustomed to (see Points A, B, C & D)

3 Likes