のんのんびより Home Thread

のんのんびより Chapter 4

のんのんびより Volume 1

Start Date: September 15th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 3
Next Chapter: Chapter 5

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

First comment!

This chapter was a lot more pleasant to read than some of the previous, so I enjoyed it a lot more.

Take away words: 釣り、釣られる

3 Likes

I agree, very cute chapter and a lot easier to follow!
I particularly liked れんげ’s little song and dance routine en route to the 小屋、the way she is wearing a chicken on her head near the end. And the ウサギ going ぴょんぴょん. Also, once I looked up the words and understood what was going on, I very much enjoyed the pun on the top of p52.

Questions: Near the end (Can’t check page number just now as someone has racked off with my ipad) I’m not entirely sure what was going on with the eggs…? Does the 50-50 reference mean going halves on what has been laid? And I wasn’t entirely sure what she meant by ひやこっぽい - the egg is “chickenish” meaning she thinks something should hatch from it?

3 Likes

I thought maybe she was offering to go fifty fifty in sharing the eggs. but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

Can’t figure out if it’s based on an actual song, but if you want to see it in motion:

And then there’s this. (Some small spoilers in that one, cause it incorporates footage from later chapters.)

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve had a chance to read it.

Page 48, Jisho is telling me もろこし is sorghum, but Ren-chon is clearly holding corn. Am I missing something? It’s apparently also a term for dual-wielding a katana with a wakizashi, which could be what she’s doing here, except the two ears are of the same length, and later on Kazuho also calls it もろこし. Also the ザ meant to be the English “the”?

Fun fact: rabbits actually don’t like carrots - if you give them a whole carrot, they’ll tend to eat the green bit at leave the orange bit. The idea that they always eat carrots comes entirely from Bugs Bunny, who munches on a carrot as a deliberate visual reference to smoking a cigar.

I swear シチュー is the hardest word to say in Japanese. Even harder than スカイツリー.

Kazuho wants to roast the corn… in the garbage incinerator?

Reckon these two questions are connected: “Sometimes there’s a baby chicken inside” (later on) “Wanna take a chance on these eggs?”

2 Likes

I learned corn as とうもろこし and so maybe もろこし is just a variant on that?

3 Likes

I refuse to watch the anime until we’re done reading.
Then I will binge on it.

1 Like

Notes the on the chapter:

• The bunny’s smile on page 50 is creepy, almost like “I know something you don’t”. Obviously we find out why shortly, but it just looks so evil!
  • Hotaru’s left eye in the bottom left panel on page 51 was drawn weird.
  • The pun on page 52 was pretty funny. I pretty much understood it right away too, which was cool (after looking up alternate meanings for 食わす and thinking about the conjugations a bit). Though I didn’t quite get why 一杯 was there at first because I didn’t realize 一杯食わす was its own thing until seeing it in the vocab sheet.
  • I love how Renge is the grown up during the whole situation.
  • Also, this manga has so much super tiny text! It’s quite frustrating.
  • As with chapter 2, this chapter has a nice pay off that tied up the whole chapter well. Specifically I’m talking about how they tried to lure the bunny with the corn and instead they lured the teacher.
  • This chapter was pretty funny and overall pretty easy.

Neither of those words seem hard to say for me (though I have no one to confirm if I’m actually saying them right).

I took it this way as well, but I also wasn’t sure.

5 Likes

The thing is, フィフティフィフティ is being used here as a な-adjective - it’s descriptive of the eggs. “These fifty-fifty eggs… you really don’t want one?”

That’s true. :thinking:

Coincidentally, シチュー just came up in a review on iknow (for the word 焦げる).

2 Likes

Time to read two chapters in a day, not that much, tbh. :stuck_out_tongue:

ザもろこし釣り :joy:

It does look evil! D: It’s like, “Heh.”

That’s a great pun, and that must be the whole reason this chapter exists, tbh. :joy:

Page 53, 外から鍵かかっちゃったのん, is it 掛かっちゃった as in to be fastened​?
Nvm, this is on that meaning. 鍵が掛かる: to become locked.

First I hear about 土日, that’s useful.

Page 56, what’s with the はよ? Is it 早よ?

Poor れんちょん, doing her best. :sob:

Also, page 58 is 釣れました not 釣られました, right?

I think this is the only chapter I remember from the time I read my physical copy of のんのんびより. :sweat_smile:

I think you can do this with any days (even if they’re not as common as 土日). Like if trash pickup is on Tuesdays and Fridays, I think you can say it’s on 火金 (or maybe it’s 火金曜日). I don’t remember where I heard that though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I assume it’s 早よ, which jisho says is a kansai-ben slang for 早く.

Are you asking because られる can be colloquially shortened to れる (since it obviously literally reads 釣れました)? In this case, I do think it’s supposed to mean 釣れました as written. That puts focus on the fact that they were able to catch something with the bait, rather than saying something was caught with the bait.

1 Like

A bit (very) late, sorry, but…

On the last page, what exactly is the teacher saying?

JP Text

なんでウサギみたいな
真っ赤な目してるのん?

I think this is the ‘utter’ meaning of 真っ赤, and that 目する is essentially meaning ‘to stare’. So my best (paraphrased) guess is “why are you staring so intently, like rabbits?”

But jisho has 目する read exclusively as もくする, when it’s め in the text?

I took 真っ赤 as red / deep red. Don’t rabbits sometimes have red eyes? I’m not sure how utter would be relevant here.

I think your interpretation of 目する is right or at least close. 目をする = to make eyes (literally) = to give a look (or something like that).

Why are you looking at me with deep red eyes like that of a rabbit.
(Terrible translation but you get the idea.)

That’s how I took it at least.

2 Likes

Well, my rabbit did have red eyes, which is part of why I wanted to check :grin: but he was an albino so I don’t think it’s a super common eye colour. And I thought it seemed weird to say it looked like they had red eyes…

I was wondering if maybe it’d be a saying in Japanese, but all I’m getting from Google is the fact that the rabbit in the moon is typically depicted as a white rabbit with red eyes (which is to say, an albino).

Well, if nothing else, that’s something interesting to have learned :grin:

I didn’t look it up, but assumed 真っ赤な目をする might be equivalent to “seeing red”… especially given their facial expressions!

2 Likes