Join the Beginner Book Club here!

のんのんびより Home Thread

のんのんびより Chapter 1

のんのんびより Volume 1

Start Date: September 1st
Next Chapter: Chapter 2

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

So, page 9, third panel, I kinda get what Kazuho is saying, but I’m not entirely clear on how 人間 in involved. Is she being excessively poetic? “If you can consider yourself a human who is finished” kind of thing?

I’m honestly curious as to why Natumi’s name on page five, and Suguru’s on page six, are written horizontally rather than vertically.

1 Like

Presumably it was done so that the rest of the panel could be draw the way the author wanted it to be drawn.

I’m curious about this as well. I wonder if she’s speaking generally, like “people who…” (but obviously implying about Natsumi).

So my memory is a bit fuzzy by now, but it was something like that, yes. “You can go play instead of studying if you gave up on your future” or something like that.

1 Like

At this stage, the big challenge for me is to try and remember everyone’s names.

2 Likes

Flash cards.

Honestly, I’ve been reading the books in English, and in later chapters, that starts to be a big issue for me - they wind up with a whole procession of recurring minor characters, and I can never remember who any of them are, even with the margin notes that start appearing from the second volume.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of making myself a bookmark with the characters’ names on it.
Particularly once I get hold of an actual paper copy of the manga.

2 Likes

Hi, can anyone explain on page 5 and 6 why there are boxes that say

変わっていることその1
変わっていることその2
変わっていることその3

1 Like

I think it’s part of the continuing voice of the narrator meaning something like “thing that’s changing - #1,#2,#3”.

1 Like

I think this means something like “one different thing (about the school)”, “another different thing…” and “a third different thing…”.

その椅子は変わった形している
that chair has an unusual shape

the above sentence, I think I got it from the core 10k deck. From wk we learn that 変わる means “to change”. But it appears that 変わる can sometimes carry a bit of the へん-meaning of 変. From this I extrapolate that 変わっていること in this case means different or unusual thing (about the school).

4 Likes

Hotaru (or the narrator) is describing unusual things about the school, from Hotaru’s perspective as someone who lived in Tokyo. You have to look at the whole string of boxes together across multiple pages for it to make sense.

変わっていることその1

同じクラスに小学生と中学生が混在しています

変わっていることその2

全校生徒が5人しかいません

変わっていることその3

学年がばらばらなので、基本授業は自習形式

変わっていることその4

廊下にバケツが点在しています

2 Likes

@Naphthalene Here is an image of the dialog @Belthazar was asking about. Hopefully you can give a more concrete explanation by seeing the dialog.

I was about to ask a question about page 11, because I wasn’t quite following how Natsumi was explaining why the buckets were there. But then I realized that I somehow completely skipped over the panel where she says 床しけって腐っているから近づくと床抜けるよ. Also, I didn’t notice until I wrote up my original question that while Natsumi is saying that no one has been stupid enough to get stuck in the floor yet, in the bottom left corner we see that Suguru just got stuck.

This is a small thing, but on page 12 I don’t really get what Hotaru means by 無理に取らなきゃ良かった.

Last, for page 14, any guess as to why they’d say 変わってらっしゃる instead of just 変わってる?

Suguru is basically “funny background event” personified. Keep an eye out for him.

“I shouldn’t have tried so hard to catch it.” is my take, though the negative is in a funny place in the sentence. “I should have tried harder to NOT catch it”? (~ばいい = should do)

Dialect, would be my guess. Or weird, out-of-the-blue keigo?

Will do. I only vaguely remember him from the anime (which is probably the point haha).

But there’s no ば in the sentence. I’m honestly not even what 取る is supposed to mean here, other than random guesses I can make from the context.

Yeah, hence the question.

Ah, yes, it’s pretty much what I remembered. “If you reckon you are done/ unsalvageable as a human, I won’t stop you (from just going to recess)”

3 Likes

Sure there is. なきゃ = なければ.

Isn’t that, like, ninety percent of Japanese anyway?

Aww, this is continuing Natumi’s “I’m done for, therefore I’m finished” logic chain. Didn’t think of that.

4 Likes

You think she was actually using logic like that? I just assumed she was giving up and decided she might as well go play since she wasn’t going to finish anyway. “I’m done for, therefore I might as well stop now and go play” rather than her twisting her “being done for” to mean she’s finished her assignment. But I kind of like your interpretation more.

Ah, yes. I’ve gotten so used to なきゃ implying なければいけない・ならない that I forgot it’s really just short for なければ.

1 Like

Hello guys! First of all, I can’t believe I’m actually reading this! I’m thrilled!

Anyway, I’m in page 10, panel 2 and I don’t really understand what Renge is saying. It may be basic and just an expression, but I can’t seem to find what it means.

My other question is in page 11, panel 5, when Natsumi (I think) says いやいや冗談冗談。。。I understand what it means (something like “No, no, joke, joke”) but could you explain this in detail?

Any help will be appreciated :3

1 Like

んあー = thinking noise, something like “hmm” or “well”
ウチは = “for me”
なー = another thinking noise, something like “y’know”

It doesn’t translate directly into English too well, since the verb in the sentence falls at the end (i.e. in the following panel), but for a natural-ish translation, I’d go with “Well, I think…”

It’s basically 冗談です but in plain form (which means you drop the です) = That thing I just said was a joke.

いやいや冗談冗談 = No, no, I was joking.

Had more of a think about this - it probably is easier if you think of the literal translation rather than the ~ばいい = should do form. The literal translation would be “If I had not tried so hard to catch it, that would have been good” (i.e. “I shouldn’t have tried so hard to catch it”). Going with definition 5 for 無理, here. As for 取る, I wonder if definition 1.4 goes here, the idea of taking posession of the ball. Or something. The rules of the game, which someone posted on the vocab sheet, also uses 取る (though reading it now, I’m not precisely clear as to the benefit of catching it - you get to throw it away, and the person outside has to throw it back from there?).

1 Like

I think the benefit of catching the ball is that, if you can’t get out the way, you have an extra way to stay in the game (by catching it not being hit by it).
So maybe Hotaru is wishing she’d just sidestepped the ball (given how uncrowded the square is) rather than trying to catch it and missing.

1 Like