なぜ?どうして?科学のお話 - Section 3 Discussion Thread

Page 87

電球が ついている わけでも ないのに、ホタルは どうやって 光るのでしょう。

How fireflies shine despite not having a light bulb attached.

じつはホタルは、体の中でルシフェリンという光の元を作ることができます。

In reality, fireflies can shine because of so-called luciferin inside their bodies.

ホタルはこのルシフェリンを使って光るのです。

Fireflies use this luciferin to create light.

では、ホタルが光るのは、何のためでしょう。

What is the purpose of the glow, you wonder?

ホタルは 光で、自分の いる ところを なかまに 知らせたり、オスと メスが、けっこんするためのあいずを おくったりしていると いわれています。

It is said, that fireflies use lights to notify the group of their location, sending marriage signals between males and females, etc.

The first sentence somehow was the hardest to make sense for me. :sweat:

3 Likes

88:
ホタルが 光る ようすを かんさつすると、 オスと メスでは、光り方が ちがう ことが 分かります。

When observing the fireflies’ shining state, if male or female then the method of shining is seen to differ.

夜 くらく なると、 オスの ホタルは、光を 出しながら とんで、メスを さがします。

As night darkens, male fireflies, while light is emitted, search for females.

I added ながら to the vocab sheet since it threw me off for longer than I’d like to admit.
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/148

メスの ホタルは、 弱い 光を 出しながら、草や 木の葉の 上で オスが 来るのを じっと 待ちます。

For female fireflies, while a weaker light is emitted, in grass or atop tree leaves, wait patiently for males to come to them.

Wanted to do a literal translation of くる as to come but that is a difficult literal translation in this case…

オスは メスの 光を 見つけると、強い 光を 出して メスに 合図を おくります。

Males, find the light of females, then show a strong light to the female to present a cue.

2 Likes

Page 88
I haven’t read all the other translations, but here’s mine:
ホタルが 光る ようすを かんさつすると、 オスと メスでは、光り方が ちがう ことが 分かります。

If we observe the state of a firefly’s light we understand that the way males and females shine is different

When the night gets dark , make fireflies fly while giving off light, looking for females

Female fireflies, while emiting weak light, on grass or tree’s leaves motionlessly wait for a male to come.

When a male sees a female’s light he emits a strong light to send a signal to a female.

2 Likes

P87

電球が ついている わけでも ないのに、ホタルは どうやって 光るのでしょう。

But they don’t have a lightbulb attached to them, so how do fireflies shine?

じつは ホタルは、からだの中で ルシフェリンと いう 光の もとを つくる ことが できます。

The truth is the fireflies make something called Luciferin inside their bodies, which is the source of the light.

ホタルは この ルシフェリンを つかって 光るのです。

The firefly uses this Luciferin to shine.

では、ホタルは 光るのは、何のためでしょう。

Then, the firefly shining, what is that for?

ホタルは光で、自分の いる ところを なかまに 知らせたり、オスと メスが、けっこんするための 合図を おくったりしていると いわれています。

The firefly puts out a signal with its light, to let its colleagues know its position, male and female, for the purpose of getting married.

2 Likes

P88

I found it a bit difficult to work out who was doing what!

ホタルが光る ようすを かんさつすると、オスとメスでは、光り方が ちがう ことが わかります。

Fireflies shine, and observing the appearance it is understood, males and females, the way of shining differs.

夜 くらく なると、オスの ホタルは、 光を 出しながら とんで、メスを さがします。

As it becomes night, the male firefly, flying while emitting light, searches for the female.

メスの ホタルは、弱い 光を 出しながら、草や 木の葉の 上で オスが 来るのを じっと まちます。

The female firefly patiently waits, while emitting a weak light, on grass and the leaves of trees, the male comes.

オスは、メスの 光を 見つけると、強い 光を 出して、メスに 合図を おくります。

The male, finds the female’s light, puts out a strong light, sending the female a signal.

2 Likes

p. 89
こうして、オスとメスが結婚して、メスは、水辺のコケに卵を産むのです。

Thus, after male and female mated, the female lays eggs on the moss at the waterfront.

卵は小さいのにもう光ります。

The eggs are small and yet they glow.

幼虫や蛹の時も光りますが、一番強く光るのは、大人のホタルになってからです。

They also glow during their time as larvae and pupae, but they glow most strongly after having become adult fireflies.

hotaru

Fortunately for the children readers, the text does not say what happens to the parent fireflies after their consummated marriage (they die :sob:)

2 Likes

Omg the high beam and turn signal light :joy::joy:

1 Like

Page 88

ホタルが光る ようすを かんさつすると、オスとメスでは、光り方が ちがう ことが わかります。

If you observe the circumstances of fireflies’ lights, you understand the difference between a male’s and a female’s glow.

When night becomes darker, male fireflies show their light while flying, searching for females.

Female fireflies let out weak light in the grass and leaves above trees while motionlessly waiting for males to arrive.

When males discover the light of females, they put out an intense glow, sending a signal to the female.

3 Likes

Page 89
こうして、オスとメスが結婚して、メスは、水辺のコケに卵を産むのです。

This way male and female get maried and female lays eggs into waterside’s moss

卵は小さいのにもう光ります。

Even though the eggs are small they shine.

幼虫や蛹の時も光りますが、一番強く光るのは、大人のホタルになってからです。

They glow when they are larvae and pupae too, but they glow the strongest when after they become adults.

2 Likes

Page. 89
こうして、オスと メスが けっこんして、 メスは、水べの コケに たまごを うむのです。

Thus the male and female mate, and the female lays eggs in the waterside moss.

たまごは 小さいのに もう 光ります。

The small eggs already glow.

よう中や さなぎの ときも ひかりますが、 一番 強く 光るのは、大人のホタルに なってからです。

When in the larva and pupa stage they also glow but the strongest glow is when they become an adult firefly.

2 Likes

P89

こうして、オスと メスが けっこんして、メスは、水べのコケに たまごを うむのです。

Then, the male and female mate, the female lays eggs in the moss by the water.

たまごは 小さいのに もう 光ります。

The eggs although small, already shine.

よう虫や さなぎの ときも 光りますが、いちばん 強く 光るのは、おとなのホタルに なってからです。

The larvae’s chrysalis already shines, they shine the strongest, when it becomes an adult firefly.

2 Likes

Page. 90 (we have come so far :o)

ありじごくの そこには なにが あるの?

What are these antion pits?

家や お寺の 軒下や 大きな 木の 下など、雨が あたらず、 土が さらさらと かわいた 地面を さがすと、 すりばちのような あなが いくつも 見つかる ことが あります。

Under the eaves of temples and homes, and under large trees, water does not hit the ground at all and if you search around the dry earth you will find many holes similar to mortar pits.

アリが おちてしもうと 出られません。

When an ant falls down (these holes) they cannot leave.

アリに とっては じごくのような ところなので、その あな は「ありじごく」と よばれます。

Because ants are trapped in a place like hell (?) this hole is called an “antlion pit”.
Not sure about this translation. Especially the “place like hell” part but I searched a few places and じごく only came up as meaning hell.

2 Likes

Wow, that first sentence was difficult and took me more than half an hour. I had no idea that such a fierce animal like an antlion even existed. Here is a very dramatic documentation.

p. 90
蟻地獄の底には何があるの?

What is at the bottom of an “ant hell”?

家やお寺の軒下や大きな木の下など、雨が当たらず、土がサラサラと乾いた地面を探すと、すり鉢のような穴がいくつも見つかることがあります。

When you look for powdery and dry ground in places where the rain does not strike, such as under the eaves of houses and temples or under large trees, you may find many mortar-like holes.

アリが落ちてしまうと出られません。

Ants that fall in them will not come out.

アリにとっては地獄のような所なので、その穴は「蟻地獄」と呼ばれます。

Because for the ants this place is like hell, these holes are called “ant hells”.

4 Likes

Page 89

In this way, males and females mate, female lay an egg in the waterside moss.

たまごは 小さいのに もう 光ります。

The egg is already glowing, although just a bit

They are glowing in larva and pupa periods too, but the strongest glow is right after they become adult fireflies.

2 Likes

Too lazy to spoiler all the translations so only open if you want to actually read the translations. These pages were pretty rough too.

Translation of pgs 89 + 90

89:
In this way, males and females are married, then the expectation is that females, at moss along the waterside, lay eggs.

たまごは 小さいのに もう 光ります。
The eggs, although tiny, already shine.

Times when they’re larva and pupa, they also shine but the strongest shining is from adult fireflies.

90:
ありじごくの そこには なにが あるの?
Antlion pits, what’s at the bottom?

家や お寺の 軒下や 大きな 木の 下など、雨が あたらず、 土が さらさらと かわいた 地面を さがすと、 すりばちのような あなが いくつも 見つかる ことが あります。
At home, under the temple’s eaves, under large trees, etc… places not being struck by rain, the earth rustles and is dry, if you search the ground you’ll find many mortar-like pits.

アリが おちてしもうと 出られません。
Ants fall in and before long they can’t get out.

アリに とっては じごくのような ところなので、その あな は「ありじごく」と よばれます。
Because the ant’s gripped by a place like hell, that place is called “antlion pit”

3 Likes

Thanks for grammar point pointed, always appreciated! This ながら threw off even ichi moe.

omg 底! WOW I struggled with that for so long

Me too, because I took 蟻地獄 for the animal and didn’t see that it is also used for the hole that the animal digs. I understood only after looking up and 地獄.

Another difficulty:
The translation of the last sentence of this page doesn’t make sense if you use the correct “antlion pit”. It only works if you use the literal translation “ant hell”.

Yeah this page was really weird. I have never spent so long on the first chapter sentence. Usually google translate can clear up at least some confusion but not really in this case

Page. 91

蟻地獄は、 自然に できた ものでは ありません。

The ant hell is not a thing that occurs naturally.

では、 だれが 作ったのでしょう。

Then who made it?

蟻地獄は、「ウスバカゲロウ」と いう とんぼに にた 昆虫の 幼虫が 作ったのです。

The ant hell is made by the insect larvae of a bug that resembles the dragonfly called an “antlion”

(この 幼虫の 名前も 「アリジゴク」と いいます。)

This insects name is also “antlion”

アリジゴクは あなの 底に かくれていて、 アリなどの えものが 滑り落ちてくると、素早くとびかかって、大きな アゴで 挟み付け、あなの 中に ひきずりこみます。

The antlion hides at the bottom of the hill and quickly gouges any ant or other thing that slips inside, it leaps upon them and holds them in between its large jaws while dragging it within the hole.

DAMN NATURE YOU SCARY

2 Likes