なぜ?どうして?科学のお話 - Section 3 Discussion Thread

That video was awesome! What a terrifying creature! No wonder they call the holes “ant hell!”

p. 91
蟻地獄は、自然にできたものではありません。

Ant hells do not arise naturally.

では、誰が作ったのでしょう。

So who made it?

蟻地獄は、「ウスバカゲロウ」というトンボに似た昆虫の幼虫が作ったのです。

The ant hell was made by the larva of a dagronfly-like insect called “antlion”.

(この幼虫の名前も「アリジゴク」と言います。)

(This larva is also called “ant hell”.)

蟻地獄は穴の底に隠れていて、アリなどの獲物が滑り落ちて来ると、素早く飛び掛かって、大きなアゴで挟みつけ、穴の中に引きずり込みます。

The antlion is hidden at the bottom of the ant hell, and when prey such as ants slide down, it quickly jumps upon it, pinches it with its large jaw and drags it into the hole.

1 Like

P90

ありじごくの そこには 何が あるの?

What is happening at the bottom of an ant lion pit?

家やお寺の のき下や 大きな木の 下など、雨があたらず、土が さらさらと かわいた 地面をさがすと、すりばちのような あなが いくつも 見つかる ことが あります。

Under the eaves of homes and temples, and under big trees, after rain falling, (when) you search powdery soil and dry ground, you always find there are holes like a cone.

アリが おちてしまうと 出られません。

Ants fall in accidentally and can’t get out.

I had to rely on the vocab sheet quite a bit to find the relevant meanings.

アリに とっては じごくのような ところなので、その あなは 「ありじごく」と よばれます。

Because for the ants it is like hell, this hole is called an “ant hell”.

Edit - missed the last sentence earlier!

1 Like

P91

ありじごくは しぜんに できた ものでは ありません。

Antlion pits/ ant hells cannot be found naturally.

I cheated with this sentence and looked a bit at other translations!

では、だれが 作った のでしょう。

So, who made them?

ありじごくは 「ウスバカゲロウ」と いう とんぼに にた こん虫の よう虫が 作ったのです。

The ant hells were made by an insect’s larva, resembling a dragonfly, called an “antlion”.

(この よう虫の 名前の 「アリジゴク」と いいます。)

(This larva’s name is called an “antlion”.)

アリジゴクは、あなの そこに かくれていて、アリなどの えものが すべりおちて くると、すばやくとびかかって、大きな アゴで はさみつけ、あなの 中に 引きずりこみます。

Antlions, there in the hole, (when) prey such as ants come slipping in, quickly leaping upon them, trapping with their large jaws, pull (them) inside the hole.

1 Like

Page. 92
そして、獲物の 体の 中に 毒を 入れて、筋肉や ないぞうを とかして 食べています。

And then venom is inserted into the thing’s body, the muscles and internal organs dissolve and they are eaten.

アリに とっては、本当に おそろし 所なのですね。

This place is really horrible for ants. (not sure about とって. Maybe “it’s a really terrible place for ants to get taken”?

1 Like

p. 92
そして、獲物の体の中に、毒を入れて、筋肉や内蔵を溶かして食べてしまいます。

Then, a poison is injected into the prey’s body, muscles and internal organs are dissolved and eaten.

アリにとっては、本当に恐ろしい所なのですね。

Isn’t this a really dreadful place for ants?

1 Like

P92

そして、えものの からだの 中に、どくを 入れて、きんにくや ないぞうを とかして 食べてしまいます。

Then, injecting poison into the prey’s body, dissolving muscle and intestines, they will eat them.

アリに とっては、ほんとうに おそろしい ところなのですね。

For ants, it’s a really terrifying place, isn’t it?

1 Like

I thought it was にとって meaning: to; for; concerning; as far as … is concerned; regarding.

So: For the ants, this is a really terrible place, isn’t it?

I broke this down as:

ありじごくは - Speaking of antlion pits
しぜんに できた もの - a naturally made thing
では ありません - they are not

Antlion pits are not a naturally made thing.

2 Likes

The hole that antlion digs is called “Antlion Death Trap”, at least in this NatGeo video: Antlion Death Trap | National Geographic - YouTube

We’re learning something new from this book, besides Japanese :slight_smile:

2 Likes

p. 93
昆虫はどうやって息をしているの?

How do insects breathe?

昆虫のお腹をじっくりと見てみましょう。

Let’s take a closer look at an insect’s abdomen.

お腹の両側に、丸い「模様」のようなものが、たくさん並んでいるでしょう。

On both sides of the abdomen, there are many round pattern-like things . not sure about this pattern, but I couldn’t find better
これは、「気門」という、小さな穴です。

These are small holes called “spiracles”.

昆虫は、この気門を、開いたり、閉じたりして、体の中に、空気を入れたり、出したりしています。

The insect opens and closes these spiracles and lets the air into and out of its body.

Here is a nice picture of these spiracles (I again learnt something!)

2 Likes

I went for “pattern” too. This was a sentence that the meaning was straightforward enough reading in Japanese, but the words all seem to be in the wrong place when you try and turn it into English!

おなかの りょうがわに - on both sides of the abdomen
まるい - round
「もよう」のような - like a pattern
ものが - thing + marker particle
たくさん - many
ならんでいる - being lined up
でしょう - it seems

On both sides of the abdomen, there are round, pattern-like things, many of them lined up, right?

or in more natural English: On both sides of the abdomen there are lots of little round things, lined up like a pattern, aren’t there?

1 Like

I was irritated by the「 」. Why put a normal word like pattern between quotes?

That’s a good question and I spent far too long looking for an answer without finding one! While searching though I did learn that these punctuation marks 「」are called kagikakko (かぎ括弧) in Japanese!

P93

こん虫は どうやって いきを しているの?

How do insects breathe?

こん虫の おなかを じっくりと 見てみましょう。

Let’s look at insects’ abdomens thoroughly.

おなかの りょうがわに、まるい 「もよう」のような ものが、たくさん ならんでいるでしょう。

On both sides of the abdomen, round patterns that are similar, a lot lined up.

それは、「気門」と いう、小さな あなです。

Those are small holes called “spiracles”.

こん虫は、この 気門を ひらいたり、とじたりして、からだの 中に、空気を 入れたり、出したりしています。

This spiracle, insects, while flying back and forth, air goes in and out of the body.

I took a bit of poetic licence with the middle of the last sentence, couldn’t quite work it out so guessed.

1 Like

The middle of the sentence uses the Aたり ~ Bたりする construction. This means “doing things like A and B”
ひらいたり comes from ひらく - to open
とじたり comes from とじる - to close
して - is the て form of する

It means - “doing things like opening and closing”, I.e. the insect breathes by opening and closing the spiracles.

Usually the たり~たりする construction is used as a non-exhaustive list. It is giving a list of things that are done, but implies there might be other things as well. That’s why it’s translated as “doing things like… A and B (among other things)”.

So constructing this sentence with the たり forms implies there might be other things the insect does with the spiracles apart from opening and closing them.

2 Likes

There is something weird about 開く:
WK teaches only the reading あく, while jisho gives only ひらく. But on the other hand jisho gives 開くif you look up あく.
Is there a difference in meaning between あくand ひらく?

I don’t understand why ひらく is not listed as a reading for 開く in Wanikani - it caused me some unnecessary confusion! I found this on the difference between あく and ひらく:

Thanks!

Ironically I got the たり construction but couldn’t figure out the attached verbs!

1 Like

P94

こん虫は、わたしたち 人間のように、口や 鼻で いきを するのでは なく、このように、気門で いきを しているのでず。

Insects, instead of using their mouths and noses for breathing, like us humans, breathe through the spiracles.

気門からは、「気かん」という、細い くだが、からだの 中へと つながっています。

From the spiracles, a thin pipe called the “trachea” leads into the body.

その くだから、からだの すみずみへと、空気が おくられます。

From this pipe, air is transmitted into every corner of the body.

I used the translation 気かん = trachea but I wonder if that’s correct in the insect world?

1 Like
Page. 93

昆虫は どうやって 息を しているの?

How do bugs breathe?

昆虫は おなかを じっくりと みてみましょう。

Let’s carefully watch the insect’s stomach. (Why is this not 昆虫おなか?)

おなかの りょうがわに、丸い 「もよう」のような 物が、たくさん ならんでいるでしょう。

At both sides of the stomach, a lot of similar round pattern things line up.

これは、「気門」という、ちいさな あなです。.

This small hole is called a spiracle

昆虫は、この 気門を、ひらいたり、 とじたりして、 体の中に、空気を 入れたり、出し足りています。

For the insects, this spiracle opens in closes, bringing sufficient air in and out of the body.

Page. 94

昆虫は、私たち 人間のように、口や 鼻で 息を するのでは なく、 このように、 気門で 息を しているのです。

Insects do not breath in through their nose and mouth like us humans, but breath with the spiracle.

気門からは、「気かん」という、細い くだが、 体の 中へと つながっています。

The slender tube called the trachea connects the spiracles from inside the body.

その くだから、 体の すみずみへと、空気が 送られます。

That tube sends air to every corner of the body. (what is the meaning of へと with these sentences? )

1 Like