すばらしきこのせかい

So I had a brief question regarding the Japanese title of “The World Ends With You”. I know that the “subarashi” is a conjugation of an adjective for “wonderful, amazing, etc.” and I know that “sekai” means world. But what does “kiko” translate to? What’s its purpose? Thanks!

すばらしき is its own word meaning “magnificent/wonderful” that can act as a noun or prenominal verb + このせかい (この = this, せかい = world)

The English title seems to be loosely translated :thinking:

5 Likes

I think you’ve split up the title incorrectly. It’s Subarashiki Kono Sekai. There is no kiko in the title.

It is definitely a loose translation. The English title on the Japanese version of the game is It’s a Wonderful World.

3 Likes

The き form is archaic, but it functions the same as すばらしい would for modifying a noun. It just sound poetic because of how the grammar is no longer used in modern Japanese.

For instance, in the lyrics for the school song where I teach, 清き and 若き are used. These are technically no different from 清い and 若い.

As a note, the き form was only used for modifying nouns, so it would be wrong to end a sentence with it.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.