人間の科学社 meaning?

Anyone know what this means? I’m familiar with 人間 and 科学, but don’t know what to make of 科学社. scientific company or business?

1 Like

社 as a suffix means company.
Where did you find that sentence?
Maybe it’s supposed to be 科学者 (scientist)

I found this

人間の科学 means “study of man”, whatever that is. It seems to be a wholistic study of mankind involving nearly every academic discipline under the sun except STEM. Take your best shot at translating the description yourself. I don’t understand parts of it. If I’m on the right track, then 人間の科学社 could be a company doing “study of man”.

Yea I dunno, maybe it’s not 社 at the end, but it was something similar. @Heiopei I don’t think it was 者… I saw it in a tattoo shop, so from what I could read I figured it had something to do with the study of the human body or form or something.

Tattoo shops are hardly the most reliable source for Japanese :wink:

Was this in Japan?

1 Like

My best guess would be ‘sociologist’ or just social scientists in general. It gels with what tessberg found, since the link they gave links to several articles about social scientists - sociologists, philosophers, journalists, and other people that fall into the general category of people analyzing people.

The tattoo shop thing really doesn’t give much context…if it was an example image from a customer, the customer could have just been a social studies enthusiast. People get some random stuff tattooed on them. If it was on an advertisement it could have been something along the lines of “our tattoos aren’t just ink, they’re a reflection of the human experience!” or some such thing. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

No, but he was Japanese :wink:

It was an art book I assume, with some people fully covered in tattoos on the cover.

Usually we use 人間科学 rather than 人間の科学 when we want to refer to Human Sciences (consists of anthopology, psychology, sociology, etc). I’ve never heard of 人間の科学, although it is technically correct. OP’s phrase could be a play on word? (wild guess)

Source: am studying 人間科学 in Japan

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.