Your Name in Japanese

Have any of you guys looked at what your names transfer over to in Japanese? My name translates to クロエ (Kuroe) it kinda sounds like my real name (Chloe) which is kinda cool!

24 Likes

Hi!

Yes, I have, hehe, mine is very easy ジェリ (Jerry)

Also, since this your first post…

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}

welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already.

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you, like:

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I hope your Japanese learning journey goes well and that you enjoy your time with us on the forums.

11 Likes

Uhh… mine may or may not sound very similar to ブランコ (swing).

It also may or may not end with ‘ko’ which kinda makes it sound like a girl’s name… So yeah… :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome!

4 Likes

Isn’t Jerry usually ジェリー? Or maybe your name has an unusual pronunciation?

7 Likes

Mine is マティアス。

You need the small イ Katakana for it :grin:

5 Likes

Hello! クレア here!
I spent the first 6 months of my Japanese study misspelling my own name. :') Apparently I was over emphasising the pronunciation when using クレル so クレア is seemingly more appropriate :slight_smile:

Katakana was a thorn in my side from day one! haha

7 Likes

Mine is funny because it is spelled so many ways and pronounced so many ways…

So I picked my own.

カテリーネ

5 Likes

Doh, you’re right, I can’t remember why I thought there was a ー in there :sweat_smile:

I also always forget that ジェ was a Yōon character, because it’s not on my chart in LingoDeer :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Turns out it’s ナッシュ. Makes sense I guess, a bit off in terms of pronunciation but that’s what you get. Would’ve guessed ネッシュ myself, but that doesn’t quite fit either.

3 Likes

I just wanted to point out that the reason it sounds like your real name is cuz it’s not really translating the name - it’s spelling it out with Japanese syllables.

Please ignore me if you already knew that! :sweat_smile:

15 Likes

It’s ヤン which is kinda weird because I think non-nasal final n is usually transcribed with ヌ at least in French.

Anyway until we find someone with a one-syllable name it looks like I’m winning.

5 Likes

Mine is ミカエラ, but most of the time I just shorten to ミカ, which actually just sounds like a legit Japanese name anyways. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I feel like there’s a philosophical question in there. Are loanwords also translations or only transliterations?
Can I say “I translated 寿司が好き and got I like sushi” or should I say "I translated が好き and transliterated 寿司?

5 Likes

How would mine be? I’m called Thiago, it is a brazilian name.
I think that in IPA it would be written as tʃiago.

3 Likes

ローラ, my first name doesn’t sound so bad but my full name has so many l’s it doesn’t fit well with Japanese :sweat_smile:

For some reason reading the title made me think this thread was about 君の名は :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

simple as this:

ロメロ

6 Likes

When in doubt I look up famous people with the same name on Wikipedia and switch to Japanese.
According to the article on Thiago Silva it’s チアゴ.

14 Likes

Leebo’d :joy:

I was literally just writing the same thing. I use Wikipedia all the time

6 Likes

Considering sometimes the loan word is just part of the original word, like with コンセント or バイト, I’m leaning towards translation. Especially with how different the pronunciation ends up sometimes… I can spend a good 30 seconds just staring at katakana trying to figure out which word it’s supposed to be.

4 Likes

Interesting point. Although, for me, I tend to say loan words are “translated” because more often than not, they have different meanings/nuances than their origins and couldn’t be used in all the same contexts of the original language.

But for the names, I was making the distinction because OP seemed surprised that it sounded similar. Just pointing out that you should actually expect a similar sound because it’s carrying over the sounds, not the meaning. :slight_smile:

7 Likes