Your favorite kanji by radical: ⺾

I am doing a list of my favorite kanjis. I realized that I like a lot of them and it is really hard to choose! :smile:

I’ve seen several posts asking: “what is your favorite kanji”, but none of them is more specific than that. Let’s find our favorite kanji by radical! (hoping that it will be easier to choose :slight_smile:)

I hope it will be a series of post celebrating the beauty of kanjis where people will share one of their favorite (by radical) and explain why they like it!

This week the radical is: ⺾

Let me start! Personally, my favorite is 芽 (sprout, bud). I find it really cute. Also, decomposed (⺾ + 牙) the meaning is something like “fanglike plant” or “plant’s fang”!

5 Likes

驩 because be happy

2 Likes

That is a lovely kanji! What does it mean, and what words is it used in?

I like simple 花

3 Likes

it means ‘be happy’ or ‘celebrate.’ on jisho the only word its used in is an alternate form of 交歓 but its a hyougai kanji so i dont think you would see it in japanese much except in a name or smth or if u take the kanji kentei. i just thought its cool cuz its so rare and fancy-looking but the meaning is so simple lol (in chinese though its a kind of horse)

2 Likes

茶 because :tea: :yum:

2 Likes

baka-猫 is too cute

1 Like

草 because I find it really interesting about how this kanji turned into slang because of Japanese internet culture.

4 Likes

草 is probably my favorite since it was the first kanji I learned, before I started Wanikani I would linger on the japanese side of the internet sometimes and this was the first slang I picked up as a kanji for “grass” as well as “lol” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

羊 all the way! I don’t know why exactly but it seems really pretty to me. :blush:

ハッピー ケーキ デイ!!:moon_cake::cake::pancakes::birthday::fish_cake:

2 Likes

It is cute, but doesn’t have the 艹 radical :blush:

1 Like

Mine is probably 夢

I learned this one pretty early on, long before WK. It’s got a nice feel to, when you write it by hand also! :sleeping_bed: :thought_balloon:

2 Likes

And another ⺾ sprout, 萌え(もえ) has literally become another way to say cute :grinning:

One of my favorite ⺾ kanji is:
葵(あおい) = hollyhock. I don’t know why, I just find it pleasing to look at and well-balanced, also easy to draw without messing up the proportions.

Honorary ⺾, because pictographic kanji are the best kanji:
芯(しん) : grass + heart = wick, it’s even pronounced しん
繭(まゆ) : grass + thread + insect = cocoon

4 Likes

I like 藍, because my dog in real life is called Indigo! Even if a specific colour translation can be pretty shaky (a lot of the google results for 藍の色 certainly wouldn’t be my first thought for an “indigo” colour) I still just think it’s cute, especially when you factor in that it’s read あい - the same as 愛.

It helps that’s a level 60 kanji too - ever since I realised it was there, I looked forward to properly learning it on WK the entire time lol

3 Likes

Yeah, maybe if you modify it a bit then the horns of the sheep can turn into 艹. Not exactly but still…
If I have to choose one exactly then maybe, 茵. (Pillow)

3 Likes

Haven’t seen that one before!

2 Likes

Well… a quick jisho.org radical search can give you your fav.kanji in seconds!!!
Hope you won’t judge me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I like 花, but my current favorite is 葉 as in 千葉 or 葉虫.

1 Like

My favorite kanji at the moment is 差, just because it’s the only one I know of off the top of my head where the onyomi and kunyomi are coincidentally the same.

That’s interesting, yes, and another is 死… though this doesn’t really have anything to do with the radical ⺾ :sweat_smile: