Wrong Answer Marked Correct

When answering the English meaning for 残す, I put, incorrectly, “to remain behind”, and it accepted it as correct. I’ve had this happen with a couple other words, though I can’t recall them at the moment. But luckily this time I had the Double-Check script installed :') Perhaps this exception could be added to make sure that answer is marked incorrect? I’m not sure how often it happens though, but though I’d mention it just in case.

1 Like

That’s just because the words are similar enough in terms of letter. The longer the asnwer is, the more WK is lenient with typos ; “leave” and “remain” share a few letters so it’s reasonable WK would have interpreted it as a typo.

Oh, I know that. Been here long enough for that, haha. Just curious about if specific answers could be blocked.

Which it appears it cannot ;; Okay, thanks for letting me know!

2 Likes

I thought there were blacklisted answers. For example, going way back in memory I typed “to rise” instead of “to raise” and got it incorrect even though it’s close enough for the autocorrect to kick in (i know the autocorrect will take it because you can answer rise for 挙 and it be accepted). There are a couple of other similar instances throught but that’s the only concrete example I can give. Is there any exaplanation other than blacklisted answers? If there is, what is it?

2 Likes

I mean, I could be wrong

3 Likes

It’s just that I remember a thought I had where I was frustrated by a blacklist and thought to myself “Shouldn’t autocorrect just correct it?” but then I said to myself “Oh well of course there’s a blacklist otherwise I could input this similarly spelled (and similar in concept) word that isn’t correct but get it correct every time”, but unfortunately I cannot recall the exact word that spurred me to think that.

1 Like

I do suspect they did add some blacklists, but not everywhere. For example if you answer “burnable garbage” for 不燃ゴミ, it will be marked wrong although the difference between that answer and “unburnable garbage” is only 2 characters.

8 Likes

That’s interesting. If they do have blacklists, then they really should use them more

12 Likes

There was some discussion about possibly implementing blacklists, but when I asked about it several years ago, it was still in the hopper as a “to do” item. The really big one is, “sake” vs. “fake”… you could, in theory, mix these two up and burn them to completion.

1 Like

Kristen confirmed in this post that they have hidden blacklists:

12 Likes

Thanks for sharing the confirmation! Glad they utilize that now :slight_smile: I definitely hope they expand upon it ^^

2 Likes

Is the melon somewhere in there?

2 Likes

Maybe if you send them this specific instance in email, they’ll do something about it.

2 Likes

Oh, looks like it was introduced in December

2 Likes

Sent it their way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They should indeed, but then they would probably have to hire a lot of interns who go through every item and think about any possible typo anyone could make and add them to the blacklist. And even then they would probably miss a lot of them. It’s not impossible, but certainly not anywhere near easy.

1 Like

Maybe they could make a forum thread for blacklist suggestions, or something like that? I figure more people would post in something like that compared to having to send an email

4 Likes

That would be a nightmare for them to maintain. Somebody has to constantly follow that thread and filter the blacklist suggestions by usefulness, and then maintain them in the database. Then other people start new threads suggesting other blacklists and then they have to monitor that thread too. Then other people ask that certain blacklists be removed because of reasons. And then there is a debate about whether a blacklist item should be removed or not. Repeat ad nauseam.

Again, not impossible, but they don’t have that many employees to do this.

There is a good reason why the blacklist is secret.

8 Likes

Platron pretty much nailed it. We use the blacklist for specific things, like numeral answers, words that are very close but have opposite meanings, etc. Trying to expand it to just generally include typos that are other words would be good for when you’re doing reviews, but it would be really tough to stay on top of.

12 Likes

I was thinking of something more like just making a single thread and just directing everyone there. Then, for each post there, I just thought of it is as checking “does this word have a different meaning than the actual answer” and adding it if it does.

That said, I did figure it probably wouldn’t be that simple. I don’t personally have any experience working on anything larger-scale*, so it’s not that surprising if any suggestions I make are bad. Thanks for informing me!

*large-scale as in management needed, not regarding budget or physical size

2 Likes