Writing IME?

Several users such as @plantron have mentioned using a writing IME to be able to SRS writing kanji as well, but where can you find something like this for any platform? (e.g. iOS, iPadOS, macOS, Android, Windows, etc.)

Thanks!

EDIT: This discussion is primarily about iOS and iPadOS, but information about other platforms is welcome. :slight_smile:

Here’s a summary:
Android - Free! Use the native keyboard or Gboard
iOS/iPadOS - $8.99 for Mazec or use the native Traditional Chinese keyboard (but no kana)
macOS - Some apps available (research this); native Traditional Chinese keyboard
Windows - Some apps available

I didn’t have to install any apps on my Galaxy Note 9. I just added Japanese keyboard and it works pretty much out-of-the-box.

For other phones this may not be as simple. I think it’s easy for Note 9 because the phone was designed to be used with a stylus anyway.

https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/mobile-devices/how-to-enable-handwriting-input-on-samsung-galaxy-mobile-devices/

1 Like

For iOS and iPadOS, there’s no native software Japanese handwriting keyboard. A close alternative for kanji is the Simplified Chinese Handwriting keyboard; it can recognize Japanese character forms in addition to Simplified and Traditional Chinese. Interestingly, it can even recognize Japanese-only characters such as 働 and 峠.

If you want to write full sentences in Japanese including the kana, you can download a 3rd party keyboard like Mazec which is a paid app.

2 Likes

Since I don’t own any iOS devices, I can’t vouch for this but I found something for Chinese

For Android, Gboard has built in Japanese handwriting, you just have to dig into the options to enable it.

MacOS only has pad-drawing for chinese built in. Not sure if there’s third-party for Japanese.

2 Likes

Gboard doesn’t have handwriting for iOS devices :cry:

1 Like

I just use the built in kana flick keyboard, but there is this (since handwriting was mentioned):

I have not used it, but I’ve met people who have. Some loved it, some hated it. A little expensive for me.

2 Likes

Back in my Galaxy S3 days, native support for Japanese from Samsung was also non-existent. For example, I could not change my phone language to Japanese, and adding a Japanese keyboard was a pain. By the time I got my Galaxy Note 4, they had fixed this. To be honest, I don’t know if it was a Samsung problem or an Android problem.

2 Likes

I think the problem is with

3 Likes

Who’s that? Kim Cardassian?

1 Like

This sort of trash never would have been tolerated before the Cardassian Union joined the Dominion! In my day if we wanted entertainment we worked!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.