Would it sound weird if you used the pronunciation of カタカナ words from the country they were derived from?

Quite, that was my first thought.

1 Like

It’s almost impossible to find yellow mustard here. I like all kinds, so I’m happy with what they usually have, but sometime I just want some yellow mustard on a dog. Costco is pretty much my only option.

I’ve had some success with asking for ‘nihon mustardo’ , but as I mentioned earlier, I usually just grab extra packets from the Chinese restaurant and avoid the whole encounter.

Also, for the record, 7-11 karaage is best with thai sweet chili sauce and a side of 7-11 pancakes and milk tea.

3 Likes

heLLO

Might need to visit 7/11 more often… Is it just チリソース?

1 Like

ありがとう MegaZeroX and YanagiPablo for these two new phrases!

Can I just check is the former かいがいかぶれ and does it mean something like “over use of foreign words”? trying to translate I got something like “foreign rash” which is more evocative than instructive!

Similarly is the latter えせいぶつご meaning English words from French? Is this an actual phrase or just created by analogy from 和製英語!?

よろしくお願いします。

海外かぶれ and 西洋かぶれ are two Japanese terms that are kind of like reverse weaboos. In other words, it is associated with being obsessed with western stuff, bringing it up all of the time, pronouncing English loan words in an English way, taking about their time is a western country, obsessed with western fashion/media, etc. And like “weaboo” it is generally a negative term.

4 Likes

No no, you can’t get the chili sauce from 7-11. I buy the chili sauce elsewhere and bring it as needed. If I’m working an early morning shift karaage and pancakes are my go to breakfast which I grab on the way into work.

On the other hand, considering how popular エビチリ is, maybe you can get chili sauce at 7-11. They have a lot of stuff after all.

1 Like

Hahaha, I just read the word コア for “core” in a game. I guess the exaggerated “r” sound is nothing the Japanese would expect.

ジャグジー

Enough said.

1 Like

For 英製仏語 i just humourously created it. You won’t find it in Japanese dictionaries (but I guess it would be immediately understood, at least in writing).

EDIT:
@OwenDG : And it would be えせいつご I think ; I suppose you left the い out as a keyboard typo; but for 仏, when it is used to transcribe France/french it is つ and not つ (like in 仏和辞典 ふつわじてん, French-Japanese dictionnary). In my IME, I got the right word when I type futuwa, futuwajiten, wafutujiten (however just “wafutu” doesn’t give anything); while using “butu” does not.

I actually learn that meaning of 仏 from the titles of my FR/JA dictionaries :slight_smile:
ペア仏和和仏辞典 and スタンダード和佛辞典 (yes, withe the old form of the kanji, even if the content uses modern spelling, they choose to kept the spelling of the first edition in the title. Btw, to type it, I wrote “hotoke”, expecting that the old form would appear on the choices (it did)).

And to keep on the thread subject : ペア is “pair” (as the dictionary has both directions, 仏和 and 和仏 on the same book)

1 Like

We have the same thing in France, actually I think every European/language in Europe have the same “struggle”, but here if you speak in English let’s say in class or just some English words that we use daily, you have to say them with a french accent, because if you start throwing in English words with a relatively great English accent or just pronouncing them correctly you will sound pretentious as if you were mocking the people around you, so most people from non English speaking countries probably feel the same when faced with daily foreign words pronounced the right way with the foreign accent.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a funny one. In Aus we would say ‘core’ like コー . Not sure where the ア would come in!

(which game? :D)

That’s a really good point.

Yeah that’s an annoying one. I want to pronounce both of those correctly but I always find myself saying them ‘the English way’ when speaking English. (Even when I was in Japan! But only if the person I was speaking to wasn’t a native Japanese speaker. None of this was deliberate!)
Even the word ‘Tokyo’ ends up being toe-ki-yoe instead. But Osaka and Kobe never get mangled (I have a friend who says it ‘Koby’ and I just can’t.

Another similar example ist スタイル. It just refers to the body, not to the clothes.

服飾・頭髪などの型。

1 Like

That would be true for english speakers. For germans it’s almolst the exact same pronunciation except for the ‘r’ of course. Nevertheless I agree with your point.

Yes, it would be very weird, but also wrong. Gairaigo are not “words from a foreign country being said by a japanese person” in that instance, they are japanese words that derive from another language and now follow japanese phonetics.

2 Likes

You ignore that that’s the secondary meaning.

But yeah, you’re right, seems it CAN be used in that way too, but as far as I know it usually isn’t.

I love how excited they get when they get a word right. I wish I manage to get and stay this excited about Japanese.

1 Like