Why not Kanji stroke order

Why doesn’t Wani kani also teach the Kanji stroke order at the same time as teaching it’s pronunciation and meaning? It should be a simple addition, no?

There’s a script for it though [Unsupported] [Userscript] Stroke Order Diagram

2 Likes

The assumption is that you will rarely be handwriting Japanese, rather you will be typing or texting it.

There is a userscript: [Unsupported] [Userscript] Stroke Order Diagram

5 Likes

Great minds…

2 Likes

I wanna be great, too

5 Likes

Are we just going to keep chain recommending the same script?

4 Likes

What are scripts though? I have never used them. I just simply google the difficult ones and write them down for my practice.

Well the script we recommended you three times shows the stroke order right there in the lesson/review for that kanji, just as you wished. If you’re asking about how to install scripts though look at this guide Visual Guide on How To Install A Userscript
Actually I don’t know how much you don’t know and seeing as you’re level 6 I may as well just recommend you read this beginner’s guide in case. Scripts is in section 7. My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 ) - #2 by jprspereira

3 Likes

Okay. Thanks for the info

1 Like

There’s a ton of other things they could teach too if they wanted to. The dictionary radical, the number of strokes, alternative forms, the status of each character in Japanese education… all stuff you’d find in dictionary entries for kanji. But they just focused on teaching how to read.

4 Likes
Lots of reasons, but mainly because it’s time consuming for a website that prides itself on speed and relatively useless in a world of keyboards.

PS: You can also cheat. (Like at so much of Japanese.)

Because why not put everything in code tags?
If you can’t tell, I love monospace.
1 Like

well… I don’t know for Japanese, but I am currently in Taiwan and I really often find myself drawing chinese characters on my phone so I can look at them in the dictionary. I don’t think this is a useless skill to have.

However, I don’t think it would be a useful addition to Wanikini. Wiktionnary does that job right.

Neither do I; I have a kanji-writing textbook and workbook that I use almost daily - I was referring to the assumptions made by the WK team.

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s useless, but it’s a different skill for sure.

Though, nowadays holding a phone out to translate things, or just choosing radicals from a list, can get you more bang for your buck in the “how much do I need to study vs. how much stuff can I look up” equation.

Phones and radical look-ups don’t require you to know stroke order like handwriting look-ups often do.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.