Why is it that sometimes when I add a synonym I move up an SRS but other times not?

I haven’t been able to see a pattern, but sometimes I’ll add a synonym and then the item will move up an SRS level when I redo but then other times it still drops despite the fact that I added a synonym. What gives?

3 Likes

There is no way to undo incorrect answers (without an addon), so if you have answered either meaning or reading incorrectly before adding the synonym it will invariably be demoted

1 Like

Okay, well I’m not using any addon that should affect it and I have seen it with my own eyes multiple times. Maybe a bug?

1 Like

Are you sure that you didn’t add the synonym after getting the item right? image Otherwise yes, it would sound like a bug

This happens to me too. If I add a synonym during a review, it makes you do that item again.

This actually discourages me from adding synonyms, because there’s a chance I could get it right, then add a synonym, then it comes up again, but this time I get it wrong maybe due to a typo.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure. I’ve been trying to figure out why some do it and others don’t for a while.

2 Likes

@Mods

2 Likes

Ah yeah, it’s a known bug that we’re hoping to fix in the future where the item will reappear in your reviews once you’ve added a synonym.

In terms the item moving up or down in SRS after the synonym has been added, @Kumirei is right that it depends on if you previously answered the item correctly or incorrectly.

3 Likes

I’ve had this too! I haven’t tested it, but think the pattern might be that if you add the synonym on the second review it goes up…
e.g.) first you got the reading of a vocab correct, but then you got the meaning wrong and added a synonym —> it goes up a level

on the other hand, if the first review to come up was the meaning which you got wrong and added a synonym, then did the reading second, it will not go up a level

I think that’s how it works?

1 Like

I encountered this bug some times, it happens when you add a synonym during a review. I am not sure whether it is just a visual bug (meaning that even if it says for example item now “master” it doesn’t actually level up) or if it actually increases the SRS level.

Assuming it is the second case I wonder whether it would be possible to abuse this bug to speedrun wanikani and do a level up in like half a day or something. Well that would kinda defeat the purpose of doing wanikani in the first place tough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.