Why is a jlpt5 word in lv 60

The word 煩い which means noisy, loud is a lv 60 word.
WTF, so in order to have the vocabulary for the jlpt5 test I first need to get to lv 60.
I realised that a lot of the common words are on a really high level.
This makes no sense to me…

because it’s usually written just using kana. WK is not for learning vocab, but for learning Kanji.

“In order to have the vocabulary for jlpt5”? Do you mean “In order to have the 5% that I didn’t get in the beginning”? You make it seem as though they don’t give you anything for N5 by your level. Really, WK shouldn’t be your only study method for that anyway - even just for kanji, you will want to check the N5 vocab with what was given on WK.

As others said, wanikani is for general kanji learning, its aim is not to prepare you for the JLPT…

makes sense, but one key point they use for advertising is
"Kanji is great, but it’s not very useful without vocabulary. Learn over 6,000 Japanese words, all carefully validated by a human to be common or useful."
Noisy is a very very useful vocable. I think vocabs which are useful for a everyday conversion should be placed in the LV 0 - 20 range.
But who am I to judge, I’m just a beginner.

The average Japanese high school student knows dozens of thousands of words. There is no way that 6000 can encompass all of the useful ones. Some of them aren’t useful anyway, but are taught because they reinforce the kanji. Honestly I wouldn’t teach 煩い in something like WK myself - it’s so likely you’ll come across it anyway.

In short, you’ll always be able to find some little examples here and there of what a person thinks should be included, but if you just accommodate all those opinions, you’ll end up with a never ending list.

Well, you are right that a word like noisy is useful and there are many common ones that aren’t taught near until the end.

With another resource in addition to wanikani you can easily pick up the remaining words for N5 or other common ones. Like memrise does N5, N4, etc courses.

Drama! There isn’t an official N5 kanji list as far as I know, so you may learn all the kanjis recommended for N5 and still get some that you don’t know. But even on the recommended list, you will probably know close to all that you need by level 10, which isn’t bad for a system that isn’t meant to prepare you for the JPLT. From this website it tells me that I learned all the kanji for N5 by level 16.

From what I understand, people using Wanikani fare quite well in the kanji section of the JPLT test so I wouldn’t get so anxious (plus now that last kanji you need to know is probably stuck in your memory). Also there are some words you need to know in N5 but not necessarily the specific kanji for it.

If うるさい is on your N5 test, it won’t be in kanji. I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen it in kanji in the Japanese manga I read, so I wouldn’t worry about it. There is only about 100 kanji on that test in the kanji section and every other section will be written entirely in hiragana and katakana (source: I took the test four years ago). For a list of the specific N5 kanji (or other levels), check here:

http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt5/kanji/

Personally, I used the 総まとめ (soumatome) books and the 語彙スピードマスター (goi speed master) books to practice vocabulary for their respective tests. I also made extensive use of the previously mentioned Memrise courses that are available. Never got into Anki.

I took JLPT N5 last december. Some of the Kanji on the test were 空 and 魚, among others that are, according to several lists, on the N4 level. I wouldn’t take those lists for granted.

More interestingly, why isn’t 嬉しい、匂い in WaniKani.

Yep… I’ve been cataloging the contents of the official JLPT practice exams, and a lot of the supposedly N4 kanji (according to internet lists) appear on the N5 practice exam. There is similar ‘crossover’ on the higher levels, too. The internet lists aren’t very accurate, though even 80% accurate would still be fairly useful.

As others have said, it’s not that a JLPT5 word is on Lv60.

It’s a kanji that’s on Lv60.

WaniKani is meant to memorise kanji. The vocabulary is an extra. Many times you will be learning the kanji for words you already knew.

If you are thinking of taking any test using only WaniKani, you’re going to fail. You need grammar, the ability to create and understand whole sentences, as well as oral and listening skills. Easy vocabulary like うるさい can be learnt through whatever other media you’re using to learn Japanese, and it won’t appear as kanji in any begginner-level test.

Right, like others have said.
An approximately accurate idea of the JLPT Kanji you’ll have learned by each level:

But some lists put the JLPT N5 non-Kanji vocabulary at around 900 words. Since many of these words are hirigana or katakana only words or words which may have a Kanji equivalent but it is typically not used, you’re not likely to learn it on WaniKani.

So besides the aforementioned grammar, you need to use other methods to learn the vocabulary needed for the JLPT exams. Memrise has courses on vocabulary, although they seem to cover much more than many online and app lists say is the number of vocabulary items you’ll need to know. Probably because, since it changes, it’s better to be safe than sorry and “accidentally” learn some N4 vocab (or kanji, or grammar) while studying for the N5 than not to, if you’re the type who likes to pass with high percentages / easily and confidently.

That said, you can pass the JLPT with a relatively low percentage compared to what one would expect.

And if you peruse through the forums, you’ll see people who say they passed the N5 at rather low levels, some using WaniKani as their only kanji source, and main vocabulary source…

The amount of energy spent to bitch about JLPT N5 kanji or vocabulary could be used instead to pass N4 rather easily. How much research did it take to come up with this discovery during your ~6 months? Not sure the intention of this post here… It doesn’t make sense to me to look so far ahead what’s on level 60, when you’re on level 9 and in your own words just a beginner…

this topic was already done for me with response #1
p.s. don’t forget, every feedback is a good feedback

The vocabularies only point is to help you enforce the kanji. Seeing it by itself won’t help near as much as seeing 6 or more different words in which that is used and let your heads natural ability to logic help you figure out the rest.

If you don’t know the word うるさい going into JLPT n5, you are seriously screwed.

But 煩 is not a very useful kanjable