N5 & WaniKani

What level in wanikani do I need to be, to know the vocubulary in JPLT N5.

According to wkstats.com, you’ll know ~95% of N5 kanji at level 10, so looks like you’re right where you need to be ^^

oh wait you said vocab

You can also use jisho to search for N5 words by searching #jlpt-n5 and maybe gauge where you’re at

Level 60 is not enough. A lot of the N5 vocab is not kanji based.

4 Likes

You can use Kitsun to study the N5 vocab.

https://kitsun.io/deck/5b4d0d9ce3b20c73aaf7bd7a

7 Likes

Even if you know the kanji, there’s the risk that they’ll have the word in hiragana and you won’t recognize it because you’re so used to the kanji form.

I completely blanked on seeing “おさら” because I’m only used to the kanji 皿, which also doesn’t have the honorific marker in WK.

1 Like

I thoughed we learn kanji to understand the voc?

Soo true… Happened many times… See the hiragana and its just like ぇえ! see the kanji and its just clicks and comes straight to you.

Part of myself think this is a shortcoming, that I didnt know the vocab without kanji…

What even more strange, I would tend to know what it is if it was read out loud without kanji/kana (especially in a sentence), but if i read it out just from kana version, my mind goes complete blank, it like it throws a complete spanner into the works.

EDIT:

I thoughed we learn kanji to understand the voc?

Honestly wanikani teaches the vocab to reinforce to kanji. Wanikani vocab isnt that great, it will give you meanings (in a broad-term), but not really the context of when to use that vocab. Some vocab are in kanji that doesnt need to be in kanji, and some rarely ever used. I’m using a vocab book for vocab and making my own deck on kitsun just for vocab purposes. WaniKani to me is mostly just for learning kanji.

2 Likes

A lot of N5 vocab isn’t taught here because it’s not written with kanji.

Also the purpose of WK (and the vocab included) is to familiarize you with the kanji. Merely being able to understand kanji isn’t enough for vocab study.

6 Likes

My japanese teacher think the same, she said that WK can be great to understand and learn kanjis, but for example she told me vocab like: 上げる and 上がる are complex vocab and the academy explain how use that kind of vocab after 1 year learning japanese.

1 Like

I just went ahead and extract the Jisho N5 list into something list that you can use perhaps in Anki. The file is formated by: reading to kanji
[Deleted for reason below]

2 Likes

Don’t mean to be contradictory and I’m not 100% sure how the website works, but why is the kanji for あおい listed as 碧い? Wouldn’t it usually be 青い?
Also あかい is 赭い instead of 赤い.

No idea actually. I just wrote some quick script to extract it from Jisho API. Doesn’t seem that my code is working correctly then. :cry:

Edit: I see what’s wrong now. I’ll fix the list when I get off work. :smile:

2 Likes

Even if you know the kanji , you still have to study the meanings of the words and how to use vocabulary you learn.

Here is the new list that actually works: [Deleted for reason below]

The other list is broken because it included alternative reading as the primary one. This list only have the primary reading, but should work nicely for it purpose.

If you guys see anything out of place, please tell me and I’ll try updating it :smiley:

Edit: After @Leebo spotting some errors for the list, I think it’s best not to use this list at all :frowning_face:. Since I only wiped it up in 30 mins, it’s in no way a good reference list for your exam. There are many resources like this on WK forum and the internet, so maybe that is a better way

In the bottom of the list there are things like:

アソコ: “Hiragana/Katakana only”

Also there are things on there that technically have kanji, like ここ or あなた, that you won’t learn on WK and would never appear on the JLPT in kanji form.

1 Like

How do I do that, just by reading content?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.