What's your worst leech?

下がる apparently is my current worst. But for a long time it was 大きい and 大きさ. Then there were all those transitivity pairs, and recently 写す and 写る gave me a lot of trouble :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

for the life of me, I can never remember that 見える means “can see”, not “to show.”

It’s frustrating to have something constantly at Apprentice I and literally never progress because I somehow forget its meaning between the four hours that I reviewed it last. :joy::sob:

3 Likes

I remember that one by remembering that causative verbs (to make someone X) generally end in (sa)seru.

Please note that Miseru is not the causative form of to see.
But the fact that it has “seru” at the end is my mnemonic - I’ll make someone see! -> I’ll show them! -> to show.

(I also use this for remembering “mataseru” = to make someone wait)

1 Like

Might as well revive this one, figuring i’ve got some silly stupid leeches right now.

My single most embarrassing leech is 先生. you know, one of the most used loanwords in english from Japanese? i keep confusing it for 先年, which just makes me sad.

I also keep running on autopilot and mis-type 四月 as either: しげつ or よんがつ.

Both make me feel absolutely pitifully stupid.

6 Likes

公用 is the absolute worst. I am already grinding my teeth when I see it, because I just - know - I will f*ck it up again. I will never ever remember the translation… never.
You can keep me at gunpoint and ask and I will scream, “Public something… thing… action… whatever!!”

Oh yes, and 医学. I - always - hit enter after typing “medical studies” just to scream, “No, wait!! I meant medical science!!”

4 Likes

Using this script, apparently my worst leeches are 祝 (kanji reading), 請 (kanji meaning) and 評論 (meaning). The two kanji I have gotten wrong 10 times, the vocab I got wrong 18 times.

Anybody know how the scores are calculated and what they mean?

Item T SRS Wrong Score
R 6 10 10.0
M 5 10 10.0
嘆く R 6 8 8.0
R 5 8 8.0

My Progression on 祝

Combined Answered Correct

83% 62 total entries

Meaning Answered Correct

• Current Streak 26
  • Longest Streak 26

100% 26 entries

Reading Answered Correct

• Current Streak 1
  • Longest Streak 5

72% 36 entries

Hear hear, 公用 and its horrid little cousin 用事 can both go suck eggs.

Double Check script is my standard approach for right-idea-wrong-word-itis. Use only as directed.

1 Like

Fascinating to know other peoples’ leeches, for me seeing some of yours, i’m quite surprised as they come up so often in Japan. When I lived in Japan (6 years total), seeing or hearing words like 社長、人数、発音、作文、就職、人生 so frequently, they are forever burned into my memory. However, often, for me too, its easy kanji which I always mess up like getting 石 and 右 or writing 人 and 人 incorrectly. Arrgh!

4 Likes

Can relate. The meaning doesn’t stick for me at all, too.

What’s the difference?

If I would start with Double Check script, I know how it would end up like… “Oh suuuuure, that’s what I meant… you damn little 公用!”
So I stick with teeth grinding, swearing, slamming on my table and the promise to “ONE DAY I AM GOING TO BURN YOU!!”

2 Likes

That’s 考 because I keep seeing it as 老, only happens in isolation, I get it right in compounds.

4 Likes

Maybe OP meant they often write 八 and 入 incorrectly.

1 Like

Or 入 and 人 I guess

1 Like

一代

It’s going to take me a lifetime to learn this one. (And you only die once!)

5 Likes

i meant 入 and 人 sorry, see, even I get it wrong just typing it, I wrote 人twice looool, 'cause when 入 and 人 are written by hand they look much more visually similar than when typed on a keyboard

2 Likes

I guess they do. Opposite stroke order, though. If you write them right you can see the difference, because you can (presumably) see which stroke got written all the way and which one starts halfway.

Here’s my worst leeches, 一生 I seem to get wrong all the time, I should remember that it’s part of 一生懸命, although its not the reading I struggle with its the meaning ‘one’s lifetime’. This is me, so I can remember it easily =>> ▸ 彼は一生独身で通した [He remained single all [ throughout ] his life].

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 16.32.40

1 Like

It’s still quite early for me, but the two throwing me off are こんや and むいか/むっつ.

こんや throws me off because it’ll show up when i’m in the thick of things, so i keep writing it as こにゃ. All i need to do is tap the N twice but i’ve slipped up several times on it now.

むいか/むっつ also catches me out for some reason. I’ve got all the other nth day/ nth things kanji all the way up to enlightened, but every time this one shows up i’ll inevitably write むっか or むいつ. I can’t help but mix them up.

I also keep writing みせる as めせる! Which is dumb because i knew the verb long before i knew about wanikani, and i’ve got all the other 見 kanji done to this point. Again, in the thick of things, i just find myself writing めせる for no good reason.

2 Likes

Meaning of kanji 当.

I sometimes (many times) put “hit” (from 当たり) which is not an acceptable answer.

1 Like