What's the latest English word you learned thanks to WK

y-you’re a good one!

12 Likes

You’re the best one! :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

com-resize

6 Likes

Yes, this is also a cleat.

There is also a CLEAT - Combined Law Enforcement Association of Texas, but I don’t think this is what the radical refers to.

27 Likes

Ooh, the more you know!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m always surprised how similar Japanese and German pronunciation is o.O
I’ts always funny to read: This and that sound is so hard to pronounce (for native English speaker). Well except for the R-sounds I had no problem at all :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

to see off :smiley: more a phrase…

1 Like

I was surprised that I never heared “yonder” before. And I really consume much English series, movies, games and so on. I mean, this word would definetly stick in my mind.

And I never heard the word testicles. I only know the vulgar words bollocks, balls, nuts and so on.

~T :lion:

10 Likes

I’m still not completely sure what 2018-05-21_17-27-15 means?

Like, you ford through water or something?

I already love this thread!

4 Likes

Maybe you have heard of the famous English town of Oxford? It was built where the river was shallow enough for oxen (cattle) to cross from one side to the other. :grin:

I’m a native English speaker but I had never heard of a geoduck before WK!

15 Likes

Yep. You ford the river. I only learned this from Oregon Trail.

35 Likes

I’ve known most of the English words used on wanikani, but there have been a few that I’d never seen before. I recently learned the word “luxuriant”, from the kanji 茂. I think I’ll actually remember this word, but I added “overgrowth” as a synonym just in case.

Hah. Just what I was about to say.

4 Likes

Yes, you ford through water as the others have said, but ford is also a noun meaning a place in a river or whatever where the water is shallow enough to allow you to cross.

Oh wait, Kyasurin already said that. My bad :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! Is it a direct synonym for ‘to cross’ or something slightly different?

I did learn a few like barb, enclosure, narwhal, paddies and a few others I don’t remember. Funny thing, I know eaves from Overlord a japanese book :smile:
Btw, for those who don’t know Nietzsche or how to pronounce his name, here is his erb :

9 Likes

It has to be shallow enough for actually walking or moving vehicles (like carts or carriages) across. You could cross a river on a boat, but you wouldn’t ford a river on a boat.

11 Likes

The OED definition puts it best:

Where the noun form of ford is a shallow place in a water in which you can wade through.

2 Likes

I feel like narwhals have internet fame, and I’m ashamed to say that I too didn’t know this.

2 Likes

Thanks to the people who are explaining more English words, like ford or luxuriant! You made them much more memorable for when I’ll reach those levels!

6 Likes