What would be the easiest way to make a spreadsheet collecting all context sentences?

I would like to make a spreadsheet containing all the context sentences that appear in WaniKani. I am not very computer savvy. I assume there is probably a way I could do it with the API. I have no idea.

What I would like to do is as I proceed in WaniKani, I would like to start grammar around the time I hit level 10. As I proceed in grammar I eventually wanted to move onto doing Flashcards for whole sentences. That’s where the context sentences would come in. The goal would be to make a personal Anki deck containing all the context sentences.

2 Likes

Okay can you explain that for the non-tech savvy. What is Open Framework. And that should be installed into what? What discipline/programming language is all that? Are Java and JavaScript two different languages?

Indeed. The only similarity between them is their name. (Tell Netscape they are bad people for this SNAFU)

One more thing: if I want to get tech savvy enough to know what you are talking about and how to do it, which disciplines or programming languages would I need to know?

Read about [userscripts] on wikipedia and [here] on Wanikani.
Get [TamperMonkey] script host for your browser.
Read about and install [Open Framework].
Open your browser’s Javascript console while on Wanikani (press F12, and click on the Console tab).
Paste the code from [the thread I linked above] into your Javascript console.
Then type context_sentences into the console, and press enter, and it will return a list of all the context sentences… though not in a format that’s super easy to cut and paste all at once.

2 Likes

This is a good idea! I’ve always wanted to do this for my own personal practice (though likely not in Anki). Thank you @rfindley and @Tbilzie !

I also like this idea. I will make an Anki deck for myself. @Tbilzie if you don’t want to do it yourself I could email it to you.

3 Likes

Sure I’d love that. My email is tbb4000 (at) gmail.com. Thanks.

Do you have another service for doing this besides Anki?

1 Like

Thanks! I will give it a try

1 Like

Sent.

1 Like

Well, it’s more that I haven’t really been able to figure out how to utilize Anki to its full potential >_>

@Kumirei, can you send it to me too if you get a chance? :sparkling_heart: My email is [ yshiori33@gmail.com ].

1 Like

1 Like

I would love to have those as well if you are able to send it to me??? Thank you very much. My email is starsapphire@live.ca

1 Like

Got it! Thanks so much, you’re awesome :’)

1 Like

No problem.
If anyone’s wondering why I’m emailing and not sharing a link, it’s because I don’t want it spread. It’s proprietary content. I would not send it to someone who is not subscribed.

5 Likes

Thank you :heart::heart:

Makes complete sense. We appreciate you!