What will you recommend for learning Japanese grammar?

What is a good resource for learning Japanese grammar?

2 Likes

Texbooks, imabi, renshuuā€¦
Just look at this list, or some other list

9 Likes

Beat me to it againā€¦ walked away for 20 minutes and this is what I getā€¦

3 Likes

I was late as well

2 Likes

I noticed. 24 minutes. tsk tsk tsk. I still arrived 2 minutes after you though.
ā”(ļæ£ćƒ˜ļæ£)ā”Œ

恂悊恌ćØ恆ļ¼ 恏ćæ悌恄恕悓ļ¼ļ¼¾ļ¼ļ¼¾ /

2 Likes

If you have just started learning Japanese, I highly recommend checking up TextFugu

Genki is a good choice, probably the most popular.

1 Like

How far have you gone in studying Japanese?

I would recommend taking J-CAT first (Post your J-CAT score!); or at least Online Self Level Check | MLC Japanese Language School in Tokyo, for accurately estimating your Japanese knowledge.

2 Likes

cool thank you! ^-^

TAE KIMā€™S GRAMMAR GUIDE IS FREAKING MAGICAL

ć“ć†ć„ć”å…ˆē”Ÿ recommended it in the first entry of ā€œ(month) Japanese Resourcesā€ on Tofugu, and MY GOD is it freakin rad. If only I knew about this site 2, 3 years ago, I would be so much better at Japanese. If you want a clear, concise, and simple explanation from a Japanese stand point of grammar galore, look up guidetojapanese.org. It may not be for everybody, but by God, itā€™s for me damnit! ;u;

9 Likes

Iā€™ve started with Genki and Tae Kim, and later bought Practice Makes Perfectā€™s ā€œComplete Japanese Grammar.ā€ The first two are really popular, the last one, not so much, but still fairly good - and all three were helpful in their own way.

BUT! I just started reading Japanese The Manga Way and I think the explanations are fantastic! It covers both casual (plain) and polite forms in very concise grammar points, and provides real life manga examples to illustrate each point. I wish I had found this book much sooner - although thereā€™s no audio or practice problems/questions, so itā€™s only good for learning/review and not so much for practiceā€¦

After a quick search, Tofugu actually writes a pretty good review for this book:

4 Likes

@rmizuno Iā€™ve had that on my wish list for a while, but Iā€™m concerned about the use of romaji. Was that part annoying?

The Genki books are the best to get you started in my opinion. Thereā€™s also the Tae Kim guide but thatā€™s a reference book, DO NOT use it as a textbook.

2 Likes

For me, Iā€™d say the opposite.

I found Genki to be very dry and difficult for me to use solely for self study. Iā€™m sure itā€™s great in a classroom setting, but I had trouble trying to use it to learn when I was being exposed to the material for the first time. I use TextFugu for grammar and use my Genki book only as a reference or for a second look at whatever Iā€™m learning at the time.

I didnā€™t really like Tae Kimā€™s guide, personally, so I didnā€™t use it but lots of people here recommend it.

1 Like

This is good adviceā€¦ choose a resource that allows you to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Tae Kim is OK, but does none of that and is therefore a highly overrated and poor choice. I cannot understand why so many people recommend it in this context. Genki has lots of exercises, plus a workbook and is therefore a decent choice. Some of it is suited to a classroom environment, but a large amount of it can be completed solo. Eventually youā€™ll want to find a study partner, but you can get pretty far on your own.

3 Likes

Oh yeah the fact that theyā€™re classroom oriented also threw me off at first, but Iā€™m the kind of guy who tends to ignore the excercises so I didnā€™t care much about it, but yeah it can be bothersome.
What I didnā€™t like about TextFugu is that itā€™s way too basic, I mean itā€™s good but it doesnā€™t teach you much.

I just saw someone mentioned Japanese The Manga Way, I actually used that years ago before doing Genki, it was really fun and I think it was actually made specifically for self studying? Maybe try that out if Genki isnā€™t really for you.

You can ignore the exercises, but youā€™ll need some way to practice what youā€™ve learned. I know plenty of people who are fluent that never cracked a text book - they found people and just started talking. If you are not the textbook exercise type, listen to Textfuguā€™s latest podcast, ā€œWhy You Should Go To Japan Instead of Taking a Japanese Class,ā€ it is really great. If you are not the shy type, start booking your trip! In the over 20 times Iā€™ve been to Japan, I wish I followed this advice, I really squandered the experiences!

Iā€™m a third world 19 years old student, man, I canā€™t just ā€œbook a tripā€ to Japan, but I appreciate the sentiment lol. My practice comes from reading native material most of the time, maybe once I get better Iā€™ll join some japanese class only for the speaking practice.

6 Likes

I live in Japan, but I the reason Iā€™m here is because of the JET Programā€¦ I canā€™t imagine buying tickets to Japan round trip 20 times. That would cost like $60,000 in coach class, haha. Never mind all the other travel expenses.

2 Likes