What level in WaniKani corresponds to the N1 JLPT?

I just passed N1 in December and vocab and kanji where my highest scores. I have a book series I used from N3 which I think has been very helpful for this. They are great because they provide many of the structures and words that appear around each vocabulary so you can get a feel for how each word is used. Good excercises too, definitly helped me get better with particles.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=耳から覚える語彙トレーニング&tag=yahhyd-22&index=aps&jp-ad-ap=0&hvadid=217634403083&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2hc7ozjmlv_b

7 Likes

As a fellow med person who has done a three month internship in Japan I have to ask: Why do you want to take the N1? For foreigners the N2 should be sufficient. After that, you can focus on those medical practice books and look up the medical terms separately.
N1 covers some stuff you nearly don’t need in everyday life or your work. You will loose a lot of studying time for the state examination.
It’s another story if you just want to try it for personal achievement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh thank you! I’ll definitely look into that! And you passed N1 while still in level 53 #impressed

1 Like

I’ve done internships in Japan too, both clinical and research, and while for that purpose you don’t really need any type of Japanese certification, from what i’ve researched up until now, to be able to take the Japanese National Exam to become a doctor here, you need to have the N1 certification.

I got all this information from online forums so by no means oficial but it made sense and I always wanted to become a badass at Japanese so i took on the challenge.

Also, in some places i can already practice as a doctor here in Japan but only for foreign patients (i think maybe even only for patients from my country) so it’s very limited and it’s not how i’d like to be able to practice in Japan if do ever live here forever.

1 Like

I see. I thought only asians have to pass N1.
I wish you good luck on your studies! :blush:

I once thought about taking that path, too, but Japan is not as advanced in the field I want to specialize in. So I will stay in Germany and go on holidays to Japan.^^

To be honest i’m not even sure if it’s what i’ll do but i’m keeping my options open!

What’s the field you want?

@Raionus it would appear you have earned my love. Sign here.

1 Like

Urology and transgender medicine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow! I’d say that’s underdeveloped in most countries of the world (transgender medicine). I had no idea Japan was underdeveloped in Urology though.

Well, I think, for urology it’s mostly the same(although I’ve seen things you wouldn’t do in Germany this way anymore).
But in Germany there seem to be some good doctors for transgender surgery by now.

This is from the JLPT official website,

One of requirements to take Japan’s national exams for medical practitioners

A JLPT N1 certificate is required for medical practitioners licensed overseas who want to take Japan’s national exams for medical practitioners, and other professions.*
For more details on application requirements for national exams for medical practitioners, please refer to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website (Japanese).

*Other national exams that require a JLPT N1 certificate as part of application:
Dentist, nurse, pharmacist, public health nurse, midwife, radiology technologist, dental hygienist, dental technician, clinical laboratory technician, physical therapist, occupational therapist, orthoptist, clinical engineer, prosthetist, emergency medical technician, speech therapist, veterinarian

6 Likes

Thank you Jintanuki! You found what I was looking for! I’d never imagined that this would be at the JLPT website. I guessed it would be cited in an obscure japanese medical website haha

oooh fair enough! In brazil we have some doctors that do it but i’d still say we are behind on that!

When you said it wasn’t as advanced in Japan i initially guessed psychiatry because it’s horrible here in Japan due to the more closed off personalitym and people still not believing that much in mental illness. Which is very weird considering the incredibly high suicide rates in japan.

Btw I just remembered, a friend told me not long ago that they changed the japanese state examination and you can do it in English. You will have to pass the N1 anyway.

The said database / Anki deck is here, Kanji beyond WaniKani (esp. 常用 and 人名用) plus more [Spreadsheet, Anki and Memrise]

However, I feel that you might need to review the Kanji taught in WaniKani as well, as WaniKani might not even teach and SRS you enough Kanji readings. (WaniKani might missed some readings.)

Please also use resources like www.kanjipedia.jp

My tip on how to learn Kanji in the wild is right here, Kanji-in-the-wild learning pattern (outside WaniKani)

3 Likes

Just wanted to say thank you for this. I’m just about finished with all of my N3 prep save for listening practice, and would like to get better with vocabulary and listening in general, so this seems like an excellent resource.

Yeah i heard about that! I mean it definitely helps a lot considering how hard medical japanese is… BUT at the same time… how are you gonna work in any japanese hospital or clinic… without actually speaking fluent and perfect medical japanese so it doesn’t change THAT much.

Thank you for this :smiley: This has been the most helpful topic in the world hahaha

People mentioned all the Joyo, but on the N1 test they generally at least have one of the “rare” Joyo pop up on the test, so you should expect that. It’s not that hard to create a situation where you use one of them, such as a reading passage about the Japanese constitution so they have 朕

Learning by doing :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.