What level in WaniKani corresponds to the N1 JLPT?

Hey everyone!

I guess this is a very simple question, i’d just like to know what level in WaniKani corresponds to the N1 JLPT ?

In the stats page that WaniKani community created it says the N2 level but it never says the N1 level… does that mean even after we finish WaniKani we won’t have reached N1 level?

Thank you for your attention,

regards,

Samurai Kitten

N1 can cover any of the joyo kanji, the 2136 kanji taught through mandatory education (9th grade) in Japan. So, since WK has less than 2136 kanji, it can’t possibly reach that, but many of the ones not included won’t ever be asked about on the test because they tend to appear in place names or are only used with reference to obscure Japanese cultural items.

Though there are some that aren’t on WK but probably could appear on the N1, and maybe someone like @polv has compiled that kind of thing.

On https://www.wkstats.com/#charts.jlpt at the bottom it shows which kanji are still missing (261 kanji). There are lots of jinmeiyou kanji mixed in, no idea where this list is coming from.

WK includes some jinmeiyou kanji itself, and there are more than 2000 kanji anyway, so I think something like 180 jouyou kanji are missing, but if the N1 test is not asking you to talk to the emperor or read a medical text something these kanji seem quite obscure.

Edit: the jouyou page there says 173 missing.

N1 level also has 10,000 words and WaniKani only includes 6000.That also includes non kanji words (like onomotopeia words) which you have to know even for lower levels like N2.

Basically everything not kanji and some hundred to two hundred kanji have to be studied elsewhere.

However, for kanji, level 51 will take you to essentially 100% N3 and N2 kanji, so that’s something worth considering.

Yesterday I picked up three kanji that aren’t on here, which are all joyo kanji, but I think they have varying chances of appearing.

One was 膳 (ぜん) which is one of those tiny tables you are served food on at a ryokan or something. This seems like it has a slight chance of appearing.

Another pair was 腫瘍 (しゅよう) which is a tumor or growth. It’s hard for me to say if this one has a better chance, for not being related to Japanese culture, or if it has a worse chance for being a medical term.

I don’t think it’s an obscure medical term though, I think all Japanese adults would know it.

So, in terms of Kanji only, do you think that after I finish WaniKani a little bit more than a year from now… I’ll be able to take the N1 without any major problems? All I need is to pass!

If those last 173 kanjis that are missing (according to acm2010 - thanks for that number btw) are rarely used, even by Japanese, N1 probably wouldn’t ask them i’m guessing (or maybe rarely)?

Also, about all those Vocabulary’s that are missing… is there a good place to learn them? Maybe similar to WaniKani?

For reference purposes, i just barely started WaniKani but i have been studying japanese for years now.

My two main flaws are Kanji and vocabulary (which i think many people share) which i need to improve in order to pass N1 for attempting to get a medical license in Japan (don’t even get me started on why i am even thinking of that lol)

I’ve taken the N1 two times since I started WK (I failed for reasons unrelated to kanji) and every kanji that was asked about was taught here. But that doesn’t mean you’re going to be okay, because many kanji have multiple onyomis and if you haven’t seen the word before you can be stumped.

For instance, on the most recent test, one of the questions was on 復興. The first character is obviously ふく, but the second one has こう and きょう, and ふっこう and ふっきょう were both options on the test. I went with ふっきょう and got it wrong.

Yeah, as leebo said, the site will teach you the kanji but there will still be quite a few words you need to learn. Make sure your grammar and listening are on par too, I haven’t seen you mention them but I assume its because they are already solid enough?

That is definitely good to read! I am studying right now by many different means (including private teacher here in Japan), WaniKani, BunPro etc… but that N1 seems like a big barrier… it sounds like at least WaniKani has got me mostly well covered for Kanji!

Oh man… N1 is definitely a scary beast!

Yeah, this. WaniKani teaches you the most common readings so you can get into reading native content and pick up the less common reading with the less common vocabulary. From N2 onwards vocabulary and its various connotations and usages are more important than kanji alone. Stuff like 報いる uses pretty lower level kanji, but you would have no idea what it means and consequently be confused by the sentence it is in. You need to study vocabulary outside of WaniKani more especially at the later levels.

I’m studying everything of course. I have been living in Japan for 8 months now and that has improved my Japanese listening and speaking immensely! In terms of grammar i sometimes struggle because everyone speaks more casual than casual (even my friends in medical school) so it’s very hard to not skip particles while speaking etc… because they do that frequently (at least that’s what my friends do). So i now have a private teacher here helping me with writing and speaking correctly!

Here’s another one for anyone who is over level 21.

解毒

Hint: it’s not かいどく

That’s one I saw on the J-Test, so there was no multiple choice. Having never seen it before I had no choice but to write かいどく.

Yeah… it all sounds very hard but at least doable! Do you guys recommend any way for studying vocabulary?

lol… my weakest point is Kanji and i’m still level 3 here so i have no idea what that is whatsoever hahaha

At the beginning, WaniKani, some core decks and textbooks like Genki. Later, just read native content and either memorize it on the fly, letting words stick naturally or put vocab in a SRS like Anki or Houhou.

Darn, that was my first guess.

Yeah I looked it up and while I was able to guess the meaning, the reading was something I never saw. Oh well, I’m planning to read more medical stuff and news articles later anyways. :man_shrugging:

I definitely think Wanikani will greatly help you in this regard. Several people came here with pretty high levels of Japanese and were able to learn a ton more Kanji than they could before thanks to the introductions of mnemonics and the breaking up of kanji in radicals. I think @Leebo was one of those people actually.

What are these core decks btw? In terms of reading native content, I am gonna follow WaniKani’s recommendation! They say that from level 10 i should start with kids level manga if i’m not wrong and it evolves from there! Is that also a good way to pick up vocabulary then?

I figured. I knew you weren’t new so I assumed you weren’t one of those people that don’t realize japanese isn’t just kanji. But yeah, I can’t say much about N1, but I have been doing some practice tests for N2. Im only level 37 and I’m very pleased with my abilities on sections dealing with kanji so. I know about 80% of the N2 kanji, which is like only 1% above the percent of N1 kanji you will know by level 60.

Yeah, for anyone who hasn’t learned 解熱, that’ll be pretty much impossible. Its a shame when a certain kanji is read the same way in pretty much every common word its in and then you get one of the few words thats different. Even for the people who do learn the げ reading for some reason, かい is the smarter choice anyways.

As a doctor looking into getting a license here… i am very much afraid of medical Kanji. hahaha It definitely goes beyond N1 level i think and it scares me to death