What level did you hit the wall?

I think it was level 23, but all of the Death levels were, well… fatal. X.X

1 Like

I was at stuck at level 31 for over three months due to various things happening in life. I’ve tried multiple times during those three+ months to pick up where I left off, often doing all my reviews in a sitting, but I couldn’t keep up that consistency. Decided that it would be best for me to start over, and while it does seem like I’ll be losing a lot of progress and time, I decided that on this run, I’ll also do my best to try to practice writing kanji, so it wouldn’t be a complete waste. I set a goal for myself to be back to level 31 by July/August 2020. I’m not sure if I’ll make it because I’ll never know when life gets too busy, but I’ll be trying my best.

5 Likes

Wow, how do you do that? Especially the 8 days sounds so fast, 25 too to be honest. Do you do the vocabulary? I find I get like 50+ new vocab lessons on every level and it takes quite some time to do those (I don’t want to keep too many things on apprentice at the same time because it’s overwhelming sometimes). Won’t move on to new kanji before I did them because after all vocab is what I need to actually know the language and leaving it behind thus makes no sense.

2 Likes

Do you do your reviews every day? If you do, you shouldn’t really even have to do much work at all with remembering, it should come automatically. If it still doesn’t I would check if the mnemonics you are using are good, or just don’t take many lessons at once, take the next set only when you have guru’ed the previous ones.

1 Like

Level 42 I think… I was going at a nice, steady-ish pace until then. When I got there I kind of… permitted myself to take it slower. I had a lot of enlightened items coming back that I didn’t remember well enough, so I also have a lot of leeches atm. :sob:

So even though I’ve hit the fast levels now, they’re not really going so fast. :sweat_smile:

What helps me is having a concrete goal (right now for me that is getting all the lvl 51 items to guru before the 1st of December, because then I’ll have learned all the Kanji I need for it. :slight_smile: After that, finishing and getting out of the SRS circle I guess, haha…), and just not stopping :tm:. No matter how fast or slow you’re going, as long as you keep going you can only improve. I find just keeping the momentum going is much easier than starting!

5 Likes

Wall? What wall?

18 Likes

Im 16 and it still feels too slow. It usually takes me 10-15 days though to advance. Not because im slacking, but because whenever there is new vocab, i am also adding the meaning in my native language which is in the long term better for memorizing than your second language. Often i dont know which words i already translated or not and then i get them wrong, making my progress to advance even slower. I really wish i could skip words or make it faster in some way. Its a pitty wanikani is only available in english, i could save a lot of time and energy.

1 Like

every level from the first to my current one.

5 Likes

I took a break at lvl 12 for like 2 months. Now when i hit lvl 18 or so ill have 2 months of easy reveiws :slight_smile:

oh my, looks bigger than Trump’s wall!!!

1 Like

Same here :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

wow, at least you’re still going with that, but the stop in progress must be really demotivating!

1 Like

I guess I’m getting there! :stuck_out_tongue:

I just started doing lessons today, but I’ve been doing only reviews since I started this level.

3 Likes

I just hit my wall here at lvl 23.
Ive been on this level for over a month now, partly due to a change in how diligent i am with learning and partly from a small break.

To be fair im probably at a point where i should get some more actual reading practice in, and because of that ill take a more laid back approach to WK now. (But still doing all my reviews every day)

So it seems the sentiment is that somewhere in the twenties are where the hardest part lies and i find myself in the midst of it.

3 Likes

I hit a “wall” this level I’m on right now!

Not quite in the way you describe though. I never had an issue with things not sinking in or my review scores dropping all that much (maybe 2 or 3 percent on average, but to be expected). Thankfully, I’ve learned from WK that I actually have a pretty good memory. But I definitely felt overhelmed. The amount of workload really started to get intense these last few levels. I started getting more and more enlightened->burn reviews, and on top of that when those items fail they go back and inflate the amount of guru items…

So what I did was take a week off from lessons and only did reviews. It was exactly what I needed, and now I’m back on the grind!

4 Likes

After skipping a few days, it took 7 weeks to cut down on the number of reviews, and then the remaining lessons… I just couldn’t finish ~300 reviews in one session, and also it seemed almost pointless to just do a smaller portion of it. Then came Flaming Durtles, and using the daily commute times I managed to slowly get myself straight.

2 Likes

I blame a lot of it on brain fog lately, since I’ll be on a roll and then I’ll blank for a moment and suddenly forget what I’m focusing on. So, it leads to me mixing up ridiculously basic kanji, and it’s kind of embarrassing - even though I’m popping by a few times a day to see when my next review is so I don’t have a mishap where I come back to 75 things to go over.

Around 21 or 22. I’ve had to slow way down on lessons.

1 Like

Walls are only in your mind. Keep doing reviews. Time to level up doesn’t matter. Each failed review is a stepping stone on the way to the summit of Mt WK.

Don’t let your dreams be dreams. Just do it!

3 Likes

I bought a house, moved in with my parents, got married, etc. the wall definitely came from outside wanikani. When I came back I had to tame a mountain of reviews, but every day I went at it and now I’m back at equilibrium. It’s not the fastest pace but it’s progress and the only way to progress is to put in the time :slight_smile:

4 Likes