What Kanji should Wanikani add?

I just ran into another new kanji on Satori Reader: 唾

鶏の唐揚げは、私のおばあちゃんのレシピだ。最高においしいよ、と説明すると、みんなは、ゴクリとを飲み込んだ。

I thought that 唐 might be a new kanji here as well, but I checked and Wanikani does have 唐. However, it is listed as “china”, and the only word it has is 唐突 (sudden). It doesn’t have any kunyomi words at all. They should add 唐揚げ.

嫉 and 妬

I see these especially as 嫉妬 all the time. Then again, I already know it, so it’s probably not necessary for me. Also the kunyomi of these is quite useful.

1 Like

To me it would make some sense to add the kanji which currently feature only as radicals, because there is already some WK content to back that up. The more common ones of course.

Otherwise I don’t think I would add more. If there is a kanji I learn through reading which appears often, it means I already learned it and so will probably others eventually, too :slight_smile:

As @l_l pointed out, more readings for existing kanji might also be a good idea.

1 Like

The kanji in (にら)む、(うなず)く、()く、(つな)がる、(つぶ)す, 覗くand 躊躇(ためら)

11 Likes
Top 50 vocab from BCCWJ with non-WK kanji

繋がる
頷く
掴む
覗く
溢れる
呟く
繋ぐ
揃う
窺う
溜まる
辿る
噛む
揃える
晒す
溜め息
拭く
薔薇
曖昧
完璧
剥く
騙す
辿り着く
潰す
繋がり
蘇る
焚く
囁く
破綻
馴染む
遡る
馴染み
溜める
覗き込む
撫でる
睨む
這う
石鹸
微塵
嫉妬
腫瘍
麻痺
怯える
潰れる
賑やか
躊躇う

Just add all of these :sunglasses:(at least the top 5 ones)

8 Likes

First one that comes to mind is 繋, considering how often I encounter 繋ぐ in the wild.
And at the same extent 結.

1 Like

Well, 噛 has already been added. But yeah, the rest are all good.

2 Likes

This is a paradox for me because if I’ve learned a kanji, I have no desire to see it added to WK :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but this is for what would be best for the system. :slight_smile:

完璧 is in WK too now, I did the list before they started adding many kanji last summer, maybe I should try again.

But btw one of the big caveat about that list was that the results were very different when I tried with other corpus (like with the innocent corpus or netflix subtitles corpus), so I’m not super confident about them. But the BCCWJ seemed to be the highest quality out there, that’s why I kept it.

3 Likes

I think 頬 can be nice too, I see it occasionally.

2 Likes

繋がる is probably the single most common kanji I see that isn’t in wanikani. It’s way more common than hundreds of other kanji that WK does teach, making it a particularly glaring omission.

Teaching all the Joyo kanji seems like a silly idea; there’s at least 50 of those that are practically useless (compared with more important ones like 繋がる). I did learn the rest of them by rote on my own time, but there are some I still haven’t seen in the wild, like 璽. At the very least, there’s probably a few hundred kanji WK should add before it considers trying to fit every Joyo kanji inside.

Some other notorious ones that I feel like I see quite often:

(these are just kind of randomly picked off my list; I could probably pull up 50 or 100 of them if you asked)

there’s also a bunch of noun kanji that could be useful, like 顎 or 鎧 or 槍 or 錆 or 苔 that I see a fair bit, as well as a few of the more common fish and animals like 鯖 (saba, mackerel) or 狸 (tanuki).

7 Likes

In the past two days I encountered the kanji 儚 already four times in very different contexts. So I thought of suggesting it as a worthty addition being also used in JLPT N1 vocab :blush:

2 Likes

Surprised particularly to find this one missing. It’s so simple and it feels pretty common. At least in lyrics.

1 Like

This is what I was gonna comment. Maybe it’s just what I’m reading right now, but I’ve been seeing it super frequently. Sometimes when I see a kanji a lot I check to see what level WaniKani teaches it, and I was surprised to see it doesn’t even teach this one.

2 Likes

Sorry to write as three separate posts, I’m not sure I get how to quote multiple people :confused:

Anyway, last suggestion from me is that it’d be fun to have one mega/obscure kanji in level 60 just for kicks and giggles like:

In the unlikely event, we need to read ビャンビャン麺 on a menu at a restaurant.

2 Likes

There’s always this method to learn it (that kanji appears at the end):

1 Like

I love it :heart:︎。

1 Like

I agree that 蚕 should be added, even though it isn’t really that common, it’s still a 教育漢字 I feel like at least that list should be complete, and maybe teaching the entire 常用漢字 isn’t necessary.

And also, just for shits and giggles, 曰 The mnemonic can be that the sun had a blemish and wants to say something about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.