Not really practical japanese

apparely my friend said that wanikani is not practical, is this true and also should i rely and wanikani for the most part

I know most advanced grammer and vocab i use that bunpro app (Whats it called).

But yeah if you know, like and comment

thanks for your help

1 Like

If you don’t do anything with it, yeah. But the only reason I can read the books, play the games, and have the conversations I have is because of WK. So I think its practical.

but i am using wanikani though XD

Anyway thanks for your answer pal

Ask your friend why they think it’s not practical.

But no, you shouldn’t rely on anything for the most part, you want to study in different ways for different parts of the language.

2 Likes

If you know grammar and vocab already, then you are off to a great start. WaniKani’s purpose is kanji, I’m assuming that’s what you’re missing, WaniKani should be helpful to you.

As for relying, just make sure you reinforce what you learn from WaniKani by reading. It seems to me that you are ready to go to native content if you haven’t already.

3 Likes

She said the context does not make any sence, in her opinion, I dont know much more fromwhat she said,

Is it all native kanji? Please answer fully

Context?

Like the example sentences? The translation WK chooses for the kanji? The radicals?

I think so?

I don’t know what you mean by native kanji, but yes, all the kanji in WK is kanji Japanese people use every day. Some might be less common.

It doesn’t seem you know a lot about the language or what your friend means, but I wouldn’t worry about it for now. WK is a great starting place for learning kanji, not vocabulary, so if that’s what you want, then go ahead.

A lot of Japanese people seem to not like WK because of the vocab selection, but that’s just secondary to kanji. And it’s not bad anyway.

Maybe your friend just doesn’t like the system, which is fair, but you’re using it, not them, so as long as you’re ok with it.

4 Likes

I know alot of the language already, Im just here to ask about the wanikani its self, im just curious to find out on your properctive and if this is practical or if this is not practical :slight_smile:

Very practical.

1 Like

Good! thanks

Not sure what you mean, but by native content I mean to say go read novels, manga, or whatever you want. This content will have kanji used daily by the Japanese. WaniKani has this kanji, that’s what makes WaniKani useful, it teaches you the kanji you need to know to read.

You know a good amount of Japanese which is great, but if you cannot read kanji, it’s a huge bottleneck.

1 Like

So is it practical kanji?

It’s not practical if that’s all one is using to learn Japanese. WaniKani is an app for learning kanji and some vocab to reinforce them, so if kanji are something you need to learn and WK’s system works for you, then, yeah, I’d say it’s pretty practical.

And as for context not making sense, um, it’s kind of helpful to have some knowledge to understand the context when you get it, so I think it’s fine for the example sentences and whatnot to be a little wacky? Truly seeing kanji and vocab in context would be in native content such as books, and WK’s supposed to help you get a foot in the door so that you can start reading, which is where you’ll get that proper context and learn the nuance that WK might not necessarily teach you.

Native speakers also apparently don’t like WK because the order it teaches kanji “isn’t right” and the radicals “aren’t right,” but the thing is, WK isn’t made for native speakers, it’s made for adult learners. We learn languages differently as adults than we do as children, and we learn second languages differently than we learn our native one(s)!

9 Likes

Yes. When you reach level 16, you will know all of the N5 kanji. When you reach level 27 you will know all of the N4 kanji. When you reach level 51, you will know all of N3 and N2 kanji. And by level 60 you will know 79.06% of N1 kanji.

6 Likes

Do you mean are the kanji practical to learn? Yes. WK teaches most of the jouyou kanji and I think a few outside of it, and in teaching you them it also teaches you how to pick up kanji on your own. Some of the vocab choices may be questionable, and so are some of the radical names, but the kanji are mostly all ones you’re likely to come across in native content

4 Likes

Thank you for your help , it motivate me to work even harder :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

Not using WK, using the Japanese you learn from WK.