A Relic from 10+ years ago - 2000 kanji in 3 months

If you’ve been googling about years ago trying to learn Japanese, you might’ve come across this article:

This was the original resource I tried to use the first time I set my sights on learning Japanese when I was a youngin. It didn’t last long. I’m curious how many people tried this as well, so decided to write up this post.

As far as I can find, this article was posted in 2011, 11 years ago, and as the title suggests, it “shows a way” of learning 2000 kanji in 3 months.

First of all, the sane stuff.

The 2000 kanji it’s talking about is of course the Jouyou kanji. Nothing wrong with that of course, some of them are not as common as others, but it’s a great starting point.

It’s using anki as the backbone of the study, a great tool, many use it, perfect choice probably, especially in 2011 when the alternatives didn’t yet exist.

This is where the issues start.

The guide is using Heisig’s Remembering the Kanji. You’ve probably heard of this book already, it’s doing a very similar thing to WaniKani, using mnemonics for every single kanji to remember them and then drilling them in using srs. Now, the first of my issues is that this will teach you how to go from the shape of the kanji to the “Heisig name” of the kanji, no readings, no usages. The name is usually one of the meanings, probably the more common one, but that’s all you get and you will be missing out on the rest.

This means, that you will be spending these 3 months connecting random words to random shapes. No real way to actually use your knowledge until you start putting these into words. Not too ideal, if you want to stay motivated and not feel like what you’re doing is a waste of time.

This would be fine if losing motivation wasn’t a big problem… so let’s look at the other issue, effort.

What does it take to learn all 2000 kanji in 3 months? The author did a calculation and came out at 22-ish kanji a day, recommending 25 to 30 just to be safe and leave some breathing room. You might be saying “that’s easy, I learn that many items on wanikani every single day”, but this is a bit different. First and foremost, all you’re learning is kanji, no vocab words, and those are oftentimes easier, than learning new kanji (in my opinion at least). Also, RTK only has mnemonics made for the first 300 or so kanji, from that point on, you need to write your own.

It really doesn’t help that the author undersells the complexity of this task. When talking about how much time it will take to do this a day, he doesn’t call them hours, he calls them minutes without any actual estimate. It also fails to mention the fact, that after doing this, you will then have to spend time learning words and meanings, otherwise your knowledge will be next to useless.

This method used to have a forum where people would post their journeys through the process, kinda like the study logs on here. Not sure if this forum is still up, didn’t care enough to look for it, but I remember most studylogs lasting about a week before being left behind, and 99% of them ended after at most a month of study. The burnout was real.

So no thanks, I’d rather take the 2 years.

21 Likes

They should have used this method

And to be fair, its not like wanikani doesn’t have a very high drop out rate after a month too, so I don’t know. Then you have the argument that if you’re trying to become literate, the only important statistic in terms of dropout is who makes it to the end. Whether you familiarize yourself with 100 kanji or 1000, you’re still gonna be illiterate either way.

22 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the most effective, but it is definitely the most fun method I’ve seen.

6 Likes

The part about the people dropping out was mainly a follow up to the previous section about overpromising. It talks about making realistic goals then proposes a study regime that frankly isn’t quite realistic

あなごんくむくむちょうばちょうげつりしんしんにょう

3 Likes

Yeah I mean he undersells it, but tbf he does say

but 3 months is a very doable timeframe if you are consistent.

and I think that the people who did it probably weren’t consistent lol.

1 Like

I have to say, that’s probably the most memorable illustration I’ve ever seen of why knowing radicals helps a ton :smile:

7 Likes

Any time unit can be measured in minutes. For example, the age of the universe is around 7.2 quadrillion minutes.

10 Likes

I almost want to try this way just to annoy my bad at karaoke neighbor who is only aware of the existence of 2 songs.

3 Likes

Minutes, soccer fields and bathtubs is really all you need for measuring about anything, especially in German newspapers.

9 Likes

In a pinch you can substitute everything with how much time it takes to walk through or fill the given thing

2 Likes

Not if you are a German newspaper :joy: Then it’s always bathtubs and soccer fields.

2 Likes

Japanese people measure rooms with tatami mats, so maybe each country measures things by what they produce.

9 Likes

I guess the US produces everything but the metric system, then :smile:

12 Likes

For volumes they always use the Tokyo Dome :rofl:And a quick search tells me the counter for Tokyo Domes is 〜杯 just for your information.

10 Likes

Coward. Measure in fortnights. 1 microfortnight is approximately equal to 1.2 seconds.

Here in Sydney, we measure very large spaces by the volume of water contained in Sydney Harbour. Sometimes abbreviated to SydHarb. One SydHarb is 357 Melbourne Cricket Grounds, 238,000 Olympic Swimming pools, or, for the crazies, 476,000 acre-feet

10 Likes

How many Solo cups are in a SydHarb?

1 Like

About 1012.

One terasolo-cup?

4 Likes

Pathetic. The method @Vanilla suggested at least does it right, calling it seconds without any actual estimate:

【お笑いライブ仕様】秒で漢字暗記〜難しい漢字覚えた〜

2 Likes

Every article about language learning over the past 6 years all read “This ONE language learning hack drives linguists CRAZY”

10 Likes