What is the weirdest Kanji you have learned?

Today I learn this kanji “凸凹” (unevenness) It’s really a strange one for me. I don’t know it looks like a modern art rather than a kanji. lol

edit
https://community.wanikani.com/t/kanji-that-dont-feel-like-kanji/18961/2
Leebo already created the same topic years ago. Check it out it’s a nice and interesting topic.

19 Likes

It’s locked now, so there’s no reason not to have a new thread, but I had a similar one previously.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/kanji-that-dont-feel-like-kanji/18961/2

9 Likes

Hah thanks, I tried to search for a similar topic but couldn’t find one. I should be more careful next time.

That’s a nice topic to read. A lot of funny and interesting stuff. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Weirdest kanji, huh.

and look weird and funky to me.

13 Likes

Today I learn this kanji “凸凹” (unevenness) It’s really a strange one for me.

Surely I’m not the first person to point out that 凸凹 looks like two perfectly matching puzzle pieces.

As far as weird kanji goes, I always thought 以 looks quite formless and abstract (even though it’s a very easy an common kanji).

12 Likes

Really think 丸 is a wasted kanji opportunity. Why didn’t they just draw a circle??

19 Likes

does 〼* count? apparently it’s an abbreviation of 枡, a square rice measuring box used during the feudal period.

otherwise, 𠄏 (I congratulate the scribe who came up with this brilliant kanji.)

I also remember reading about this Japanese woman with archaic hyogaiji and hentaigana in her name.

I’d nominate the insane Tangut characters but sadly they’re not in CJKV (or unicode, for that matter.)

*EDIT: someone has pointed out to me that this looks like a font-rendering problem and is probably not a kanji. I’d like to clarify that this is not a font-rendering problem unless the box has two lines going through its diagonals. You can copy and paste it onto wiktionary.

2 Likes

Probably 機, but all of the kanji I’ve learned so far look fairly tame. Nothing too extravagant. Maybe 乏 as well?

1 Like

One of the few that resembles its meaning quite nicely :slightly_smiling_face:
For some reason I kind of like how this is shaped as well: 黴

Edit: Ohh I see the first one was already mentioned in the linked thread, well :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This is what I’m seeing in your post, so I’m not sure what it is you’re referring to.

EDIT: Oh, is that actually it? It doesn’t seem like the stroke thickness or anything is actually structured to look like a kanji, so I figured it was just a blank character.

Do you know how these are used in gay dating apps?

Go figure… Hint: Matching puzzle pieces. :smiley:

10 Likes

I take it that this particular character just coincidentally resembles the abbreviation in question? Not that it was created to represent it?

I’m not really sure what you mean by ‘the abbreviation in question’, but it’s essentially just a pictogram of the box. I think the kokuji version is just a phono-semantic composition or something like that.

You said it was an abbreviation. Presumably it was written with proper brush strokes and the like in the past.

Anyway, whether one considers things like that to be kanji would also relate to things like 〆 and ヶ (not the katakana).

Personally I am inclined to put them in the category of symbols.

1 Like

tbh, I was just going off the entry in the wiktionary page, but I can see how saying that the pictogram is an abbreviation of the kokuji might be miseading.

Yeah, I guess. Probably because it’s archaic no font designer bothered to make a Mincho version of the thing, but I see things like the digraphs for yori and koto and I wonder.

Given that hiragana and katakana originated as scribal abbreviations like the ones you’re mentioning, it would make sense to discount them along with the rice-box thing from being kanji, I suppose. I really only included it and the tangut thing for interest value.

That made my day :joy:

2 Likes

Welcome! This is a fun place, with many silly/occasionally brilliant jokes, especially in the Campfire (and serious learning at other sections)

:thinking:

9 Likes

Good. I’m glad they beat me to it.
I’d also accept O角

6 Likes

apparently quite a lot of archaic variant kanji have circles in them.

This seems to be a fairly famous example, but there are more.

(I usually hesitate to quote sources like these, but there’s only a few places you can go to to find kanji like those, hah.)

3 Likes