What is the weirdest Kanji you have learned?

I say bring back the circles and unique shapes :eyes:

7 Likes

A pretty common one but 曰 always felt very weird to me. Like it just feels like someone messed up writing 日.

Honorable mentions: 乂, 卜, and maybe 函

4 Likes

誤。 I always see a little alien in the 呉 part. Weirdly cute kanji for me

2 Likes

Wanikani calls your “alien” catapult :smiley:

Seems it can also mean “soy beans soaked and mashed to a creamy paste (ingredient of tofu and soy milk)”

:smiley:

2 Likes

My screen is cracked (actually kinda broken not applying it is on something) so i thought you wrote 日 twice :rofl:

The first one looks like the possible skeletal frame of stabby durtle :sob: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Loving this thread and Leebo’s thread too! Learned a lot today. :slight_smile:

This is not the weirdest but… 児 makes me feel like a computer glitch added a | and shifted 日 to the right… :weary:

2 Likes

What about 旧 ?!

1 Like

Oh yeah, definitely! Makes my left eye blink every time I see a word with 児 in it.

2 Likes

臼 always looks like a broken 日 to me.
Similarly the old form of 児 is 兒

1 Like

6 Likes

ezgif-3-c5362104da4d

9 Likes

Confusingly, 臼 is not the old form of 旧, 舊 is

2 Likes

⠀looks really weird to me, looks like someone’s attempt at making a fake Kanji

4 Likes

TIL from the Kanken thread that 干 and 于 are different characters!

3 Likes

is kind of weird, because I can’t think of any reason other than liking the way it looks to use this super dense kanji instead of くじ. Especially if you’re handwriting.

2 Likes

Yeah, and usually くじ is 籤 in kanji. I have seen 籤 used in advertisements for lotteries. Never seen 鬮 though.

3 Likes

Actually it came up one time while we were doing quizzes. I don’t remember where I learned it initially, but it has come up somewhere before and I added it to my srs deck fwiw

3 Likes

Yeah, I should say I’ve never seen it in the wild. I’ve seen it from entries for regular くじ.

1 Like

Right now is 孑 – mosquito wriggler.Got it suddenly while using drawing in Jisho. Now I know that this line needs to be perpendicular to the barb, lol.
By the way, it is used in pretty cool word 孑然 (【ケツゼン】 isolated, alone, helpless ), will try to use it from time to time.

3 Likes