What is the meaning くて In this sentence?

I came across this in my lessons

ちょっと昨日から具合が良くなくて。
I was a little under the weather yesterday

What is the role of くて In this sentence? If I were to ignore the くて part、it would read like this to me ‘Because I am a little under the weather’
also There is nothing I can see that would indicate this sentence as past tense?

Can I get a literal translation please?

ありがとう

1 Like

its

良く なくて
Its the て form of ない。

Also, the sentence is not technically past tense, the から is “since” and there is no past tense, so it means “Since yesterday I have not been feeling well.”

3 Likes

Does the fact that it is Te form give the meaning of the sentence any other sense、Than if I were to use The long forms?

What kyle said. Also, 昨日 means yesterday. Japanese does not always use past tense for past events. Sometimes you have to use context.

2 Likes

Kind of, its an unfinished thought.

“Since yesterday I’ve not been feeling great…”

7 Likes

You beat me to it!

2 Likes

I can read every word in the sentence。Ii’ts just when i have come across an i adjective short form ending like that it usually adds some Sort of dynamic to the sentence。If the sentence is indeed incomplete?Then it would seem my question can’t be answered?

To be more precise, it can’t be answered without context. There’s an implied “therefore, something something” going on at the end of the sentence. “I’ve not been feeling well since yesterday… so I can’t come shopping with you”, for example. The implied second half depends on the context.

3 Likes

It’s incomplete in the sense of trailing off or leaving something unsaid/implied. Hence the ellipsis in the translation by @kylesama.

3 Likes

Ok thanks that makes sense to me :slight_smile:

The sentence is complete, but the て form end just adds a trailing thought onto the end of it.
The answer is going to be contextual; without knowing the whole conversation its impossible to know exactly what they are talking about, but for example in the below exchange;

カイル:ライジンくん、顔色悪いわね。
ライジンちゃん:ちょっと昨日から調子が良くなくて。”

2 Likes

in your second example sentence what does the role of くて Play being placed at the end of the sentence? Could you give me 2 literal translations please?As in what does this meanライジンちゃん:ちょっと昨日から調子が良くなくて。Vs what does this mean? ライジンちゃん:ちょっと昨日から調子が良くない

Just to point out, て form isn’t a “short form”. It gets used in both polite and casual Japanese. Since it’s used to combine (for lack of a better term), having it at the end gives a trailing off feel, as others have said.

1 Like

So is it used as a replacement for んだ?

Could you give me an example sentence of when it would be used as a politeness at the end of a sentence please
Thanks

It’s polite because it’s indirect. Indirectness is polite in Japanese, especially when it’s in place of a flat-out refusal.

2 Likes

You’ll see this a lot in songs, too. Like others have said, the て form can be used to further connect ideas and keep the sentence going, so being used at the end of a sentence has the implication of something more to be said. Sometimes singers will end lines with the て form because they still have stuff to say for that part of the song.

Since yesterday, (implied subjects)'s health/mood hasnt been good…

Since yesterday, (implied subjects)'s health/mood hasn’t been good.

Theres really no better way I can think to explain it other than the two dots. For the first one, it could be more polite or continue on. Maybe in the first one, you could go on to say how they stayed home from school. It leaves the idea open ended.

2 Likes

Maybe if you are in japan and you ask an employee of a store for help, but they cant, they will say
すみません、お役に立てなくて

2 Likes

Connect! That’s the word I was looking for!

1 Like

Gotchu

Combine, connect, either way gets the idea across…hopefully. I’ll take OP’s silence as an indicator that he understands.