What is the best way to study grammar?

Hey! just wondering what is better. Learning grammar using a textbook or learning through other means like MaruMori?

1 Like

I have some Minna No Nihongo books sitting on my shelf which made me think of this since I haven’t really done any serious grammar practice

2 Likes

That depends largely on how you approach learning grammar and what is more convenient for you. Textbooks like Minna no Nihongo or Genki are good, because they integrate grammar practice with vocab, kanji, context, etc. so the grammar explanations don’t exist in a vacuum like in resources which focus almost solely on grammar.

However, some people find textbooks uninteresting and prefer apps like Bunpro.

10 Likes

As mentioned by linchou, that basically comes down to your own preferences and needs, but to add my perspective: The key for me has been to start reading early. Before I actually started trying to read Japanese texts I had a hard time wrapping my head around the grammar concepts I was reading/watching videos about. What understanding I could glean from textbooks, articles, and videos felt superficial and vague, and it was hard getting it to stick in memory. Once I started having to apply things to actual texts that all changed at once. So for me the best method is to spend a little time each day on whatever grammar resource you prefer (bunpro in my case) and then practice by reading.

4 Likes

I’ll just offer my view on grammar. Personally, I couldn’t stand the thought of textbooks, bunpro or any of those methods out there. In the end I just opted to learn naturally, I already had a pretty basic understanding because I have watched what some might consider too much anime, but once I started reading, I just searched things up and learned them that way. A lot of the time I don’t even search things up, I may not understand the full extent to why each character is placed there and there, but if it makes sense to me, and I can read it with no issue, then what is the issue?

So if you’re to ask me what specific grammar terms mean like “Passive” then I wouldn’t be able to tell you. That’s just boring to me, I wanted to learn the same way I know English. In that same vein, I also can’t tell you specifics of English grammar, but I know what sounds right, so who cares?

The best way is what works for you, and what you enjoy.

3 Likes

For learning Grammar, I think textbooks are the way to go. “Studying Grammar” it depends what your issue is. If it’s just recognizing points and getting practice seeing it and knowing it’s meaning, then I suggest reading. If it’s using it properly I would recommend something like renshuu.org, their exercises make you put things in the right order, so when you end up using the grammar IRL, you might have a more accurate structure than say, BunPro which only asks you remember the grammar point and nothing that really surrounds it, that makes it correct or not.

2 Likes

Tofugu’s content is excellent and easy to piecemeal (whatever interests you on a given day — there’s a lot there).

I’m also one of those weirdos who thinks Cure Dolly videos are great (with subtitles at 1.25X speed).

4 Likes

I use Tofugu for review of the more difficult things for me. Sometimes i need things over-explained like that.

1 Like

Sometimes I can even do 1.75x speed. But yeah, I agree, it is a good resource.

1 Like

AMATEURS!!
downloads YouTube video to play on MPV at 4X speed

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.