Grammar funk

Is there any way to make grammar more palatable? I honestly dont enjoy learning grammar.

I can handle the kanji and vocab, but the rest of it… meh

What do you all think?

10 Likes

How much have you done so far?

I’m not caught up with N5. When I took the test, I thought the listening was going to gut me. It was the grammar.

I have some concepts down. However, if I’m going to take the N4 in Dec next year, I’ll need to catch up to N4 level. I have not finished Genki 1.

I don’t like grammar either. If learning kanji is like catching Pokemon, learning grammar is like something way less interesting.

I guess if it’s any consolation, even someone who hates grammar like me can eventually pass N1.

25 Likes

Such metaphor spinning skills :stuck_out_tongue:

41 Likes

Have you tried different forms of learning beyond Genki? There are some great grammar series on YouTube, if that’s up your alley. Japanese Ammo with Misa is often recommended. I would also try to get your hands on some ~N5 reading material (graded readers and NHK Easy) since that does a great job of reinforcing grammar points while also rewarding you for your progress.

6 Likes

palata- i’m just gonna ignore that long word. bunpro isn’t … fun but it’s not … not fun.
https://www.bunpro.jp/
there’s reviews (like wanikani) and whenever you get a grammar point wrong you get to feel the crushing weight of failure (like wanikani) wHaT’s NoT tO lOvE

20 Likes

I relate to this so much… Kanji and vocab? Perfectly fine and fun!
But grammar? Ugh… I don’t have any patience for it. It’s so dull and I can never remember it. Bunpro does make it a bit easier. But still ughh…

3 Likes

I much prefer grammar and I’d do it all day if I had a choice but kanji/vocabulary is necessary. But I started more as a survivalist than a language learner so that is likely the reason.

Make it applicable beyond texts and exercises is my advice. The more degrees of freedom for communication and listening can be addictive once patterns become more predictable.

8 Likes

@s1212z is what we call a ドM.

6 Likes

And then you have the detective route. Pick up a book manga and start reading. Each time you have no idea what’s being said (after accounting for vocabulary lookups), it’s time to play detective and investigate the grammar until you can answer the who, what, when, where, why, and how of the sentence. (Pro tip: Five of those will be unspoken and known entirely through context. Per sentence.)

6 Likes

Hah, my exact thought.

Learning grammar is like… grinding up to a high enough level to evolve them to their highest forms?

4 Likes

What has been you been doing/using to learn grammar? Genki isnt a very palatable way for grammar to being with.

no more like breeding a hundred of the same pokemon for perfect IVs, leveling them up to 100, then EV training them, now you have a technically competitive team, only to find out that your team sucks and your whole team is rated RU, to NV by Smogen, but ignoring that, you decide to fight with them. You do good for a couple of battles, wiping the floor with a few, and coming close in others, but then you decided to step up your game, entering in a local tournament, and promptly getting smashed, loosing fight after fight, until you decide to quit, and never try to be competitive again!

4 Likes

I wrote and erased like 3 metaphors before deciding “no it’s better like this”.

21 Likes

It’s perfectly possible to win the game without doing that - I’ve never bothered with IVs. Though, I guess beating the Elite Four is like doing the JLPT, while PvP tournaments are like actually using the language with other people in the real world. :stuck_out_tongue:

The real downside is that it doesn’t really establish a baseline for “interesting”. Is catching Pokemon the best thing ever, or like watching grass grow? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Ha! It’s the result of years failing to follow 田舎東北弁

-Still can’t follow it

1 Like

I’ve used Genki 1 and bunpro. I really dont like bunpro.

I looked at some sample pages from Genki, but it was too dry/stale (for lack of a better word) for me. It reminded me of all the things that made high school boring.

I tried Bunpro, and while I like the concept enough that I paid for lifetime to help support the site, I found that learning random grammar points didn’t work out well for me.

So far, the only method that’s worked for me is to read (easy) native material, and look up what I don’t know. After looking up the same thing a few times (each time I encounter it), it begins to stick. Maybe not the best method, but as long as I’m enjoying what I’m reading, that keeps it from being stale or boring.

4 Likes

I didn’t learn grammar too (except for the が and は distinction because it was confusing). Its too boring. For some reason, through years of Japanese media, I was already able to guess word patterns. But if you ask me the particles and participles (if there are??) and the transitive verbs, whatever, I don’t know. I’ll just know if a sentence sounds weird or not.

I guess this is a palatable way to do it, but it takes a loooooot of time.

2 Likes