What is the best equipment for learning to write kanji?

Hi guys, I’m a good bit into learning Japanese and I’m wondering what is the best equipment for practising writing Kanji? Thanks

1 Like

Pen and paper in my opinion. You can use lined paper for assistance. There are also special workbooks for kanji practice.

8 Likes

Thanks. What about any peticular pens?

I use https://www.purpleculture.net/chinese-practice-sheet/ and https://henckq.nl/kanji/ to print off character sheets for me to write on.

You can go to http://wkw.natural20design.com/order.php?order=wanikani to find the kanji on your level.

4 Likes

Any ballpoint pen should do. I like thin Pilot gel pens.

2 Likes

I like these kinds of inexpensive water-based pen and paper sets:

Saves paper! Plus the sheets it does come with are pre-printed with different grid sizes for different kinds of practice.

5 Likes

I’d recommend whiteboard.

It does require special markers though.

7 Likes

Is that your whiteboard? If it is, where did you get it? Mine has a big stupid plastic frame.

2 Likes

Yes, it is my whiteboard and my clumsy writing :sweat_smile:

I got it in a local store that sells pens, pencils, paper, rulers and other such things.

1 Like

I recommend a pen and paper. Some would recommend apps, but I found apps don’t do it for me, things just don’t stick. Pen and paper are the best way to go.

3 Likes

Pen and paper! Any should do. If you want to get really fancy, you could use a brush pen or a fountain pen with a fude nib (though be sure the paper is an appropriate weight in either case or it’ll bleed through or feather).

1 Like

Any kind of tablet and e-pencil works really well too! I use an iPad and apple pencil and really like that setup.

2 Likes

what kind of markers if you don’t mind me
asking

1 Like

Well, the markers that are labeled “Whiteboard markers”. Because if you use other markers - you wouldn’t be able to wipe what you write, and that’s the whole point of the whiteboard.

2 Likes

uhuhuh i mean obviously whiteboard markers haha thanks

1 Like

I use pencils, pen, fountain pen, brush, whatever’s at hand when I want to jot something down. I am in the habit of writing out all the lessons in a little book. Writing the kanji and their meanings and pronunciation helps me remember.

1 Like

Hi! This is the brush my sensei gave to me when I started to learn how to write kanji.

The brush tip is a little larger than most fude pens, but it makes it easier to get used to brush strokes. It’s definitely not a pen I use to write “normal sized” kanji. Occasionally, I still use it to practice new kanji, but for the most part, I use regular pens and pencils and graph paper to practice writing “normal sized” kanji.

If you want something more advanced, I reccomend Takumi-san’s videos.

He writes beautifully and always shows what pens he is using.
4 Likes

I use the Kanji Study app and a stylus because I don’t really care about handwriting, it’s just for stroke order and memory. I also use a reusable notebook from Correctbook.

1 Like

I always see people mention Kanji Study. It’s an android app, right? Is there anyway to use it if you don’t have an android or tablet?

1 Like

You can emulate Android on PC.

Nox Player is my choice, as it’s the only one where my Wacom tablet works properly.

1 Like