What is the best equipment for learning to write kanji?

Hi guys, I’m a good bit into learning Japanese and I’m wondering what is the best equipment for practising writing Kanji? Thanks

1 Like

Pen and paper in my opinion. You can use lined paper for assistance. There are also special workbooks for kanji practice.

8 Likes

Thanks. What about any peticular pens?

I use Chinese Practice Sheet Generator and Kanji writing practice template generator to print off character sheets for me to write on.

You can go to Document to find the kanji on your level.

4 Likes

Any ballpoint pen should do. I like thin Pilot gel pens.

2 Likes

I like these kinds of inexpensive water-based pen and paper sets:

Saves paper! Plus the sheets it does come with are pre-printed with different grid sizes for different kinds of practice.

5 Likes

I’d recommend whiteboard.

It does require special markers though.

7 Likes

Is that your whiteboard? If it is, where did you get it? Mine has a big stupid plastic frame.

2 Likes

Yes, it is my whiteboard and my clumsy writing :sweat_smile:

I got it in a local store that sells pens, pencils, paper, rulers and other such things.

1 Like

I recommend a pen and paper. Some would recommend apps, but I found apps don’t do it for me, things just don’t stick. Pen and paper are the best way to go.

3 Likes

Pen and paper! Any should do. If you want to get really fancy, you could use a brush pen or a fountain pen with a fude nib (though be sure the paper is an appropriate weight in either case or it’ll bleed through or feather).

1 Like

Any kind of tablet and e-pencil works really well too! I use an iPad and apple pencil and really like that setup.

2 Likes

what kind of markers if you don’t mind me
asking

1 Like

Well, the markers that are labeled “Whiteboard markers”. Because if you use other markers - you wouldn’t be able to wipe what you write, and that’s the whole point of the whiteboard.

2 Likes

uhuhuh i mean obviously whiteboard markers haha thanks

1 Like

I use pencils, pen, fountain pen, brush, whatever’s at hand when I want to jot something down. I am in the habit of writing out all the lessons in a little book. Writing the kanji and their meanings and pronunciation helps me remember.

1 Like

Hi! This is the brush my sensei gave to me when I started to learn how to write kanji.

The brush tip is a little larger than most fude pens, but it makes it easier to get used to brush strokes. It’s definitely not a pen I use to write “normal sized” kanji. Occasionally, I still use it to practice new kanji, but for the most part, I use regular pens and pencils and graph paper to practice writing “normal sized” kanji.

If you want something more advanced, I reccomend Takumi-san’s videos.

He writes beautifully and always shows what pens he is using.

4 Likes

I use the Kanji Study app and a stylus because I don’t really care about handwriting, it’s just for stroke order and memory. I also use a reusable notebook from Correctbook.

1 Like

I always see people mention Kanji Study. It’s an android app, right? Is there anyway to use it if you don’t have an android or tablet?

1 Like

You can emulate Android on PC.

Nox Player is my choice, as it’s the only one where my Wacom tablet works properly.

1 Like