What does the verb mean?

皆さん、こんにちは!お元気ですか。

I’m having some trouble to understand the meaning of the following sentence:

"私自身、自分の作ったものは先ほど書いたようにどんどん忘れていってしまうけれど、大好きで読みついできたよその作者の小説についてならば、どの頁にどんな言葉があって、登場人物の誰がどんな服をどんな場面で着ていて、どんな時に悲しんでどんな時に喜んだかということを、つぶさに覚えているのです。 "

What’s the meaning of the verb “読み継ぐ”?
Is it something like “…when it comes to a book from an author that I love and that is read through generations…”? It sounds really weird to me…

The second question is about the use of ~ように. In the sentence “自分の作ったものは先ほど書いたようにどんどん忘れていってしまう”, I translated it as “I forget it as if I had written it some time ago…”, but I’m not confident.

手伝ってもらえますか?ありがとうございます!

読み継ぐ means that many people continuously read something over many generations. Like Shakespeare or something. It has been read for a long time and never forgotten.

EDIT: I suppose it could also just mean one person reads something again and again.

EDIT2: At the basic level, it just means to read again and again, with no subject specified. I think the writer is just saying books he loves and reads repeatedly.

2 Likes

As I have written before “ (, I keep forgetting things that I have made myself)
So, the author mentioned that already, probably in the same book.

3 Likes

なるほど!

Thanks a lot!!

Right. I’m still unsure on choosing the most suitable meaning for this context.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Rereading the original sentence, I’d say the person who wrote the sentence read the books again and again.

2 Likes

Maybe it would be better if I wrote the whole text.
I’ll do this tomorrow.

Time to sleep here in Brazil. :smiley:

Here’s the entire text:

"ここにある小説は、作者である「わたし」の手を離れた久しいものばかりです。
書き上がっていたその瞬間に、すでに小説は作者にとって、「自分から離れていってしまったもの」になっています。
作者から離れた小説は、読者の元へと、ゆっくり運ばれてゆきます。たとえば大きな客船に乗って、堂々と海の波を割りひらきながら読者の皆さんのところへと運ばれる本もあるでしょう。ひっそりと夜の道を走るしなやかな動物の背に乗って、選ばれた読者にだけ運ばれる本もあるにちがいない。
どんなふうに運ばれた小説も、読者にとっては大切なものです。もしかしたら、作者にとってよりも、読者にとっての方が、より大切なものかもしれない。
私自身、自分の作ったものは先ほど書いたようにどんどん忘れていってしまうけれど、大好きで読みついできたよその作者の小説についてならば、どの頁にどんな言葉があって、登場人物の誰がどんな服をどんな場面で着ていて、どんな時に悲しんでどんな時に喜んだかということを、つぶさに覚えているのです。 "

This makes sense.
Thanks, Leebo!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.