What do you want now? (Request extensions here)

I think this would be the closest existing script

3 Likes

Nice, though the level progress removal currently doesn’t work, and you need to change the settings for it to display anything, see here:

2 Likes

Thank you both for the links! I think I’ll use Saimin’s as the basis for my own. [Edit: Upon further review, @Pep95 's Total Progress Bar userscript is almost exactly what I’m looking for, so I’m going to “borrow” ideas from that.] :slight_smile:

Is this the right place to ask questions and advice if I run into issues? I’m surprised I haven’t seen more discussion of in-progress development on this discourse forum — it makes me think I’m looking in the wrong place.

That describes my previous experience precisely: It had control of me!

My programming skills are about as advanced as my Japanese (i.e. “not very”) but I’m enough of a programmer/engineer/maker to know to blame my tools for any and all problems. :wink:

I’ve been spoiled by “beautiful” languages like Go and Ruby (and their respective dev environments and toolchains). The few times I’ve tried to do anything with Javascript I ran into weird type and scope issues that drove me crazy. Hopefully, WKOF will make things easier for me.

Oh, I definitely agree … sometimes. Often, in fact. I’m just a stickler for well-defined metrics.

The engineering motto is: “If you can’t measure it you can’t improve it.” One of the most important corollaries is, “Since you improve what you measure, be careful to measure what you want.”

I think “burned” as a metric for “learned” works pretty well in practice: “You’ve learned it when you can demonstrate you still know the correct meaning and reading after a four-month pause (and after at least 8 correct reviews)”. It’s still not perfect of course. As you point out: we’ve all burned items we really haven’t completely learned (or subsequently forgot).

In my professional life, I’ve also learned the importance of simplicity. The fact that the data is already available on my dashboard screen doesn’t diminish my desire at all. It’s the difference between data and information: A single prominent (if oversimplified) metric is often more valuable than a wall of supporting data.

Today, all of us use our “level” as the oversimplified metric for our overall progress. While there’s nothing wrong with that, I’d rather focus less on my level and more on my burns (final graduation exam results rather than getting into the next school year).

Personally, I feel “I’m on level 36 of 60” is less meaningful than “I’ve burned (‘learned’) 38% of the available items on WK.”

3 Likes

We don’t have a dedicated thread for it. If it’s related to WKOF I just post in the WKOF development thread. There’s also a “Random Software Development Thread” that I suppose would be relevant

1 Like

Feel free! I did that script as my first one by butchering using Kumirei’s JLPT Progress Percentages as a basis ^^ that definitely makes it easier to start hacking.

2 Likes

I just started using Bunpro this month to improve my grammar. What methods are you using to improve your grammar and why? this will help me better understand what extensions you really want versus what you think you need… thanks…

Oh great! Thanks!

1 Like

Anki project: I’m going to write a script that puts word frequencies (from InnocentCorpus) into every word in your Anki deck (or a selection of cards).

Yomichan shows you these frequencies for most words (that aren’t too rare):
This number just tells you how often the word occurs in a corpus of ~5000 books, I think.
Anything over 10k is very common, below 100 is rather rare (私: ~900k, 新聞: ~30k).

(Does anyone know a better source of word frequencies perhaps? I’ve seen some that give a unique order, “this is the 100th most common word”, though i like seeing an absolute frequency too)

This way i can prioritize more frequent words for learning.

Details for Anki/Yomichan/usage

Yomichan can even export these frequencies with the Anki export feature (which is great, plus sign).
However, it puts them into an HTML list, since it can theoretically also show other frequencies.
Editing this is quite a pain over hundreds of cards. (i also have many where the field is empty)

I want this field as a plain number, so that I can e.g. sort cards in Anki by frequency, e.g. with the Advanced Browser addon:

You don’t even need the addon, you can also e.g. search deck:current FrequencyInnocent:9___ which will find words with frequency 9xxx.

The Anki interaction will be via the AnkiConnect API (which Yomichan also uses/authors).

Sorry for inserting so much about Anki here if you don’t use it.
I was just wondering if anyone has thoughts (like frequency sources), or would like to use this. At some point i’ll make a thread.

• I’m interested (in the Anki FrequencyInserter script)

0 voters

2 Likes

I want this

1 Like

Cool, i’m on it :slight_smile:

Sneak peek

(the cards that have HTML will go into “Cards where frequency will be changed” of course.
Interface not final :wink: )

1 Like

Is there some ‘review ahead’ function that lets you do reviews of the next 24 hours if they’re at least Guru? (or of the next n hours if they’re at least x rank) This seems like something that either should exist or something that people have asked about, but I seem to be using the wrong search terms?

I’ve got 30 Enlightened reviews due one hour after bedtime, if I did them an hour or two earlier it certainly wouldn’t hurt the SRS much. However if I leave them till tomorrow morning they’ll clog up the precious time before work that I’d rather just spend on Apprentice items with short intervals.

I don’t think this is possible. Wanikani waits the specified time before making a review available. It believe scripts can tinker with reviews only when they are available. They cannot inject a review ahead of time.

2 Likes

Huh, interesting, thanks!

It’s done :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t know if something already exists (if it does, can someone please point me in the right direction?), but hubby really struggles with dyslexia. He’s fine if I’m sat with him, reading out the mnemonics from WK but leaving out the answer-word. He’d love for a script that displays the relevant mnemonic but leaves a blank for the answer-word. Doesn’t really help with spelling the kanji and vocab, but it halves my workload when I’ve got my own reviews to do :rofl: So yeah, that would be our request if anyone can help!

I’m not sure if this is a thing, but is there an extension that lets you burn stuff immediately? If not, I’d appreciate it. I’ve learned some kanji from Genki that I don’t need to be drilled back into my head and I’d rather skip them.

There’s no way to do that. Best you could do is make a userscript to ignore an item, and it would automatically review it for you until it would be burned, with the normal waiting times for reviews of course. Not sure if there are any scripts like that though.

A forum script. So in the settings if you go to Preferences → Security, there’s a Log Out All button.
I’d like to have that button below the log out button in the dropdown as shown below:

Is it possible? Anyone want to put together such a script for me? :grin:

1 Like

I hope this works – it is not very well tested.

5 Likes

It works! I love it, thank you so much! :grin:

2 Likes