What do I even call this?

Sorry, I couldn’t pass that up

1 Like

This has happened to me once or twice. It corrects you when you type in the kun and it should be on, not vice versa. Isn’t the background pink when it’s a kanji though? That’s a tell. Or you could just by default type in the kun and always get the correction. This “policy” makes sense to me. We are learning Japanese after all. At any rate, I highly recommend [Userscript] WaniKani Katakana Madness It types in katakana for onyomi readings. I find it gives a gentle nudge of reminder and also helps prevent the atrophy of katakana proficiency from disuse.

YES!

And “gif” is obviously pronounced “jif” @MasterSenSenpai

I always wondered how long it’d be before I could use a fake fisticuffs gif on these forums.

3 Likes

I’ve probably only ever heard 1 or 2 people say “guh-if” >.> Maybe it’s a regional thing?

Not really. GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format. It’s Graphic and not Jraphic, so the abbreviation shouldn’t be any different.

6 Likes

If people are using one more than the other, then it makes no difference what the source is.

And which one are they using more?

It’s so uncommon to hear someone say “guh-if” (here at least, SoCal) that you can see everyone’s eyes get wide when it’s said.

No offense but just because you hear more people pronounce it as “jif” doesn’t mean anything. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone pronounce it “jif”, so if I’d use your logic then we’d be at a stalemate.

It’s also not “guh-if”, not sure where you’re getting that from, it’s like in the word “gift” or “give”. Even the former President of the United States pronounced it as “gif”, so there’s that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, that’s not what this thread is about, so let’s not derail it any further. At the end of the day we’re both correct because there’s no true pronunciation for the word, so it doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

You’re right, let’s move on…

Which one’s right?

• Soda
  • Pop
  • Coke

0 voters

@Borx care to chime in?

2 Likes

Nice, good to know that there are still level headed people on the internet.

I swear, if this was the YouTube comment section then this would have ended in a death battle of insults. :smile:

2 Likes

Since we’re already off-topic, I thought this was interesting (as a millennial):

Changed my perspective on things a little.

3 Likes

Good stuff, I’m only 5 minutes in but I can see why it’d change your perspective on some things. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Edit: Some of this stuff can also be applied to learning Japanese.

1 Like

It could give you 5 tries for every kanji etc etc but the idea is to learn them. It really doesn’t matter if you get one wrong. Annoying for sure but move on, put some time in outside of WK into learning it, and be ready for it next time.

Override scripts, making it easier, hints and all the rest just seem pointless to me when the idea is to learn.

1 Like

We’re getting kind of off-topic but whatever.

If that argument held any water then JPEG should be pronounced jayfeg, ISIS eesis and UNICEF would be yunichef .

5 Likes

So many replies to my little thread! For the record, I will defend ‘gif not jif’ to the death. But getting back on topic, I’ve found that using KaniWani for extra vocab practice is helping tremendously.

3 Likes

Well of course the person who pronounces dog as “doj” will pronounce gif as “jif”

5 Likes

Shhhh! It was funnier that way!

2 Likes

Coke, duh. In 'Murica we call everything by the name of one of it’s popular brands. Also for GIF, I just say it G-I-F.

1 Like