What do I even call this?

Who cares if something is “burned”, “enlightened”, “master”, or “guru”? It’s all the same to me as long as it’s not “apprentice”. If you feel the same as I do, then it doesn’t matter so much when you mistype something. As has been said by previous posters, this is a learning tool, so if you have to do something more, it just means you’ll learn it better.

1 Like

Simon Sinek is a very cool dude! :slight_smile: If you like reading, I recommend you his books “Start With Why” and “Leaders Eat Last” :smiley:

1 Like

This is how I do it:

I see WK as the number 1 tool for long term learning of Kanji.
I see Anki decks as the number 1 tool for short term learning of Kanji.

Combine both…

I haven’t gotten into Anki yet… I’m not really sure why…probably because I don’t trust myself to know how well I know something… if that makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

This argument doesn’t work because there is no rule to follow (or break) for pronouncing acronyms.

The creator pronounces it jif. Which makes sense if you follow the ‘g’ followed by ‘i’ is usually a soft g sound.

If you subscribe to graphics = hard g therefore gif = hard g sound then that’s also fine.

BUT, really words with a Germanic root have the soft G and words with a root in Latin/other romance languages have a hard G. However, gif is a new American acronym and so there isn’t something else to pull from to give reference to the proper pronunciation of gif.

To me, I subscribe to the soft G before ‘i’ rule and defer to the creators official pronunciation. After all, when people create things they’re the one ones who are really allowed to decide how their creation is pronounced and what it’s called.
There’s not really another example of people mispronouncing someone else’s works that I can come up with off the top of my head.

1 Like

In the South everything is coke. At least where I am.

“what would you like to drink?”

Coke.

“what kind?”

Pepsi.

1 Like

Very much not at all the case, in fact, it tends to be exactly the other way round, but even that is not a reliable guide.

I was like that too. Actually, I didn’t like Anki because I tried those Core decks and I simply got lost. I felt like I was just reading for the sake of it. It didn’t work at all. A few days ago, I installed a deck with the Kanji for the JLPT N5 and I love it!

Why does it work now?

Good question.

It works because I’m being specific. It’s a deck that I know its purpose. Its purpose is to know the readings of all the Kanji for the JLPT N5 and being able to identify them… That’s something that interests me at the moment. I know exactly what I will achieve when I finish that deck. It’s not a lost cause like the core ones that I tried before.

So, basically you can’t play with those generic decks because they lack a pace. You need to know what’s your pace and what’s your specific goal. Wanna know about food in Japan? Go specific: make a deck about vegetables, another for different fish. Make a deck for traditional food. Whatever you want.

Think about words that you would use in English/your native language. I told you about food because I’m studying Nutrition. A deck like this would be something very interesting to me. What about you? Think about a subject, get a list somewhere on the Internet of it and make your own deck in 10mins. It will save an enormous amount of time in the future. You don’t need to know how Anki works… I don’t :smiley: literally zero.

PS: That JLPT N5 deck was made by one of the members of this community :smiley: Unfortunately I don’t remember his name so I can’t tag him.

“einchor”???

Surely that should be “‘ei’ as in ‘acorn’”, or something like that?

4 Likes

I’m no linguist, but the a in anchor and acorn are pretty close to my ear.

2 Likes

According to Google:

Anchor is /ˈaŋkə/
Acorn is /ˈeɪkɔːn/

3 Likes

I can imagine people saying anchor with the an portion being like the word “an” but I don’t say it that way.

According to Wikipedia, GIF is pronounced /ˈdʒɪf/ JIF or /ˈɡɪf/ GHIF, so both /j/ and /g/ are OK. I believe, this kind of things is supposed to be different by regions / dialect as well.

But no one actually believes the way they don’t say it is okay in the real world, polv. This is a land mine.

Huh, I’ve always pronounced anchor and acorn with the same “a” sound, I think… in any case, acorn seems to be a more universal answer, so we’ll go with that.

The ay in anchor is the same vowel as the ay in jam. The ay in acorn is the same vowel as in make.

Yes, we’ve ascertained that some people do say it that way, though clearly not everyone.

I’ve travelled quite widely and never come across any native speakers who would realize it like the second vowel. Apparently you do, but I suspect you’re rather unique in this regard. Not only is the pronunciation I gave “standard” but I can’t imagine why it would be realized differently, beyond varying pronunciations of the same vowel, as opposed to another vowel entirely.

Are you a native speaker of English?

Yes, I am. I am from Connecticut and speak standard American English. And you?

The pronunciation by Boulley sounds closest to what was referred to as being the same as “acorn”. Wunu as well.

As I said, I’m not a linguist, but the comparison sounds fine to me.

Well, clearly not, if you rhyme it with acorn :wink:

That’s interesting, though. As for the sound you identified on Forvo, that’s the same vowel I indentified, and is not the same vowel as in acorn, which i /ei/ in IPA, versus /æ/ for anchor, jam, ham, etc.