What are your favourite websites for Japanese grammar?

I am working on a project, and so I thought I would survey the WK community asking their opinions.

My question is: ‘What is your favourite Japanese grammar resource’?

Please include details, for example if you like something like Textfugu, Bunpro or Imabi, what did it do differently that makes it worth your time?

Any replies would much appreciated! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I have a few resources ive been happy with that i have also mentioned before.

For primers that gives a good overview, there are

• Japanese grammar wikipedia page.
    I like it because it briefly takes one through the concepts used in japanese grammar. There is a risk some will find it too heavy on linguistic terms, but it was a resource i was very happy taking my time to familiarize myself with. (note familiarize, not drill to exhaustion)
  • Cure dolly on youtube.
    This is very controversial because a lot of people are put off by how weird the channel is, and the fact that some points are being massively oversold. However, the logical explanations of how japanese works sets one up for a good introduction to grammar to build on with other resources.

Moving on the biggest one for me has been Bunpro.
It’s just straight to business really. “Here’s a grammar thingy, now go figure out how it works with these examples” is my kinda thing. Even so if im completely lost it has the courtesy to refer to external resources for each grammar point.
It’s really nice to get a “close, can you modify your answer a little to make it more X”
Bunpro actually does a decent job at giving hints, and makes an effort to tell you about a small nuance to be aware of.
The hardest part about Bunpro was the self pacing (like WK i guess)

Honorable mention,
Tae Kim’s grammar guide had some good parts but overall i didnt find it as helpful as other resources.
The section about why だ is not the same as です and therefore not interchangeable was great.

EDIT: added a link to the wikipage in question and the honorable mention

6 Likes

Interesting, you’re the only person I’ve ever seen put ‘Wikipedia’ on their list of language learning resources :rofl::rofl:.

When it comes to Cure Dolly, I’m afraid I am of the belief that it is rather creapy; thank you for your explanation of why you found it useful though!

Also, thanks for your description of why you like Bunpro, could you just elaborate on that a bit more? Is the SRS pivotal to you liking Bunpro? Or would you be just as satisfied with a system that got the correct pacing without spaced repetition?

1 Like

I’m still looking for my “goldilocks” so I’m partially commenting here to encourage me to follow the discussion.

I’m working through Human Japanese, a digital textbook, right now, and I read through some of Tae Kim and intend to go back to it. Not sure if I’ll be able to justify the cost of Bunpro but I was a user really early on, and might go back.

The biggest thing for me has been the “chunking” and “progression”. As a self-learner, I want to set a goal like “do one lesson/chapter each day” and so I need it to be really obvious what the chunk is that I’m supposed to do today, and which one I should do tomorrow. So I need it to be organized in pieces for the way my brain works. And, obviously, I need good explanations, example sentences that I can understand, quizzes or exercises to check my understanding being a real bonus.

3 Likes

Yeah the wikipedia is a pretty unconventional angle, but i really like how that particular page is set up.
And its not that i use it a lot but i like to occasionally go back and read up on it (doesnt take more than 10-15 minutes anyway)
It helped me a lot with putting my finger on what makes japanese different (i investigated the linguistics terms a little more), and helped me change my perspective to “think” more in japanese.
The concept of agglutination, exclusively left branching and exclusively head-final are probably the biggest gamechangers for me.

I wish Cure Dolly would make a more succinct and straight to the point resource in written format because it would likely also allow a lot more people to actually benefit from it without being put off by its quirkyness.
Her explanation using the locomotive and railroad cars is so so helpful, especially in the beginning, along with the “There are fundamentally 2 kinds of sentences, A is B or A does B”. It’s these little conceptual eyeopeners that has helped me. So i love her approach, her format is just very suboptimal.

In regards to the SRS of Bunpro, i do think the SRS is part of what makes it great, but not sure about pivotal. My take aways from wikipedia and curedolly has helped me understand more of what happens in the grammar points on Bunpro, so its not just seperate grammar points but also seeing the similarities between them.
If i did bunpro without that other knowledge it probably wouldnt work as great for me as it has.
But the drilling provided by the SRS and the different sentences you have to apply the grammar to are definitely a big deal.

2 Likes

I tried to watch the videos, but the presentation is just so unbearable that I’m now reading the subtitles only in a text editor (you can get them with youtube-dl --all-subs --skip-download <url>) and skipping to the respective time codes to see the example sentences and charts.

5 Likes

JLPTsensei and Wasabi.jpn. Mostly because I study grammar through textbooks, and then take example sentences from these sites (like a couple per grammar point) and put those into an Anki deck which helps me remember them better. I find these two sites have concise explanations that just make more sense for my brain.
Eventually I do wanna go through imabi too though. :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve used Wasabi before and found it quite useful. I haven’t used JLPTsensei.

Would you say that revising from Anki has been more valuable than rereading a grammar point every once in a while? It’s interesting that lot’s of people find Anki and SRSs useful for grammar, I had previously thought (from my own experience) that the only thing that required repetition was kanji and vocabulary.

What would you say the reason is for the affectiveness of an SRS? Is it simply ease of use (not having to open a book every time you need to revise a specific point) or is it something else?

2 Likes

I’mma preface a bit here by saying I’ve come to the conclusion that different methods of grammar retention work for different people. I was in language school all of last year, and many of my classmates found the ways that made grammar “stick” for them best. Some people liked to review the book, some liked to try to use them in conversation, some liked to make flashcards, or write example sentences and have them corrected, etc etc.

At first, I tried reviewing by just rereading grammar points. Didn’t stick enough for me, especially once I was around N3 level and there was just too many.
Then for a few months I was making Anki cards with just the grammar point on front/meaning on back. This helped me recognize/understand the grammar in isolation but couldn’t reproduce them correctly.

My last few months there, I deleted that deck and started a “sentence” deck where I just put a sentence on the front and translation on the back. As I review these sentences, I feel like I’m not only remembering grammar but also I start to naturally, subconsciously get how to use it (for example, if I want to say のに to say although, I’ll automatically say な if I’m using it after a noun, but not if it’s after a verb without needing to sit and think about the correct grammar). This is working REALLY well for me so I’m sticking with it!

5 Likes

Also the efficiency of SRS definitely helps. I don’t have to worry about /when/ I should review a grammar point, and I can do my reviews anywhere I take my ipad so I can do them even when I am somewhere other than home. Just my 2¢. :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Thank you, very helpful! :slightly_smiling_face:

i personally like tae kim’s guide to japanese grammar.

im not too far in, but so far the information being conveyed is very easy to consume. its not like a flashy program or anything (not that there’s necessarily anything wrong with them), just something to read through, and even if you dont have a complete understanding of kanji, there are still readings and vocab banks to help you so you dont have to spend half of the time looking up the kanji/words being used.

there might be better resources but so far this is the one im most fond of.

1 Like

I have to agree that Tae Kim’s Guide is my favourite resource personally. I’m curious, how do you revise? Do you put grammar points into Anki, use Bunpro, reread the chapter, etc.?

1 Like

Once you’re far enough along, this one’s nice to see/learn the grammar from a Japanese perspective:

(Although a lot of this perspective you can get via Cure Dolly as well.)

3 Likes

Haha, thanks. I’m not actually looking for new grammar resources myself. I was more hoping to get your opinion on why the grammar resource is so useful.

Nevertheless, I’m certain it will be an asset to my personal studies as well! :grinning:

When I started I really loved Tim Takamatsu’s guide! It’s an amazing resource on verb conjugation amongst other things and everything is in Romaji, which made things much easier when I was starting out.

1 Like

Sometime I write “you” to mean “anyone in general” (bad habit of mine!)

So, generally speaking, for anyone who gets far enough along that they can use the site, I recommend it. By then the person will probably know enough grammar that they don’t need the grammar information itself, but learning how Japanese see their grammar, versus English language resources that use English grammar terms, can be enlightening.

3 Likes

i usually just reread a chapter, since it’s already a resource i have right in front of me.

1 Like

My personal favorite is Bunpro because it has various resources linked into each lesson. I also like the structure the lessons. Also, the example sentences for each point are a great way for me to practice reading.

That being said, I use Bunpro to introduce a grammer point but if it is difficult for me to understand I turn to external resources to reinforce the point. Wasabi Japan, sometimes Genki, or various reference books I’ve put on my Kindle.

I rarely use Tae Kim. I find the text drier and more difficult to push through.

I’ve just re-discovered BunPro and what @Yoshimaster55 said - in regards to the resources each grammar point has - is amazing. Any point I’m struggling with always has links to articles and videos that help make things clearer. A great resource.